Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
35,081 Posts
This was defunct back in Q3 2008. The majority of Nvidia's crashes were actually caused by.

1. Flaws in the operating system (Hence the Performance and stability pack released)
2. Drivers from other devices.
3. Incorrect hardware settings such as Ram timings and voltage.

Secondly.

Crashes is a generally broad term, the majority of these were infact TDR style errors, which are caused when the Graphics driver doesn't respond within a specified time frame. Now this might be the driver itself (in some cases it was) however most of the time its caused either Sound drivers (Realtek's were well known for causing display driver TDR's) and incorrect DRAM latencies.

70% of these crashes were fixed by adjusting the memory timing manually.

· Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Nvidia is a hard company to trust. They've brushed stuff under the carpet and hoped it wouldn't ever be made public... Remember their tweaking of the benchmarking apps during their FX days? Remember their more recent one where they tried to hide the fact they cheaped out on the mobile 8xxx line up and hoped they didn't have to reimburse buyers? And who knows how many more things Nvidia is keeping a tight lip about...

Fanboys will be fanboys I guess :p

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Well I think both companies rigged benchmarks in the past, hence why they are completely irrelevant when I decide what GPU to go with. I don't like nVidia's business style either, especially not how they handled their laptop chip fiasco and how they want to market their old cards as new ones. Let's say I've become very wary for buying something from them. On the other hand, if they clearly have a superior videocard with a great bang/buck ratio, I'd be stupid not to switch camps.

I don't like nVidia fanboys either, neither do I like true ATi fanboys. The biggest problem I have is when they spread misinformation about either camp. At least here I know that most people who stick with nVidia do so for valid reasons.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
it wasn't actually a matter of cheaping out.... it was simlar to the issues with the Xbox360 solder. they tried a new mix and got burnt for it D:

· Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Still doesn't change the fact they tried to hide it :p If they were more open with it they probably wouldn't have suffered that huge market loss when it was found out they wanted to keep their lips sealed on it, even though they knew those GPUs were going to burn out eventually.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
who's to say they weren't told to by the chip buyers ;)

market politics stings.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Still doesn't change the fact they tried to hide it :p If they were more open with it they probably wouldn't have suffered that huge market loss when it was found out they wanted to keep their lips sealed on it, even though they knew those GPUs were going to burn out eventually.
who's to say they weren't told to by the chip buyers ;)

market politics stings.
What Squall said. :p Problem here is... if they don't say anything and the chip buyers get very high return rates then those chip buyers would always turn to nVidia and gnaw off some bucks to make up for the losses.

I mean... they'd have been crazy to keep it quiet and lose that much. What's in it for them? :innocent:

Problem with the mobile market segment: whenever a faulty hardware shows up, they blame those who made it and not those who assembled it. :innocent: Same thing for desktop, I suppose, but a lot of people assemble their own desktops so there's the difference.

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
also note that most crashes due to the use of beta drivers, you had to use them for bug fies for recently released games like gta4
nah, way before that
we're talking about 2007....
You'd run one game, then another and the display driver would go into a crashing loop, just to name one. But, in 2007, Vista was a huge mess anyway... that's one of the reasons why it still has a bad image, even if it's ok now...

· Banned
35,081 Posts
this is old news (nvidia causing lots of vista crashes earlier), but it's true, and I've had first-hand experience. ;P
not anymore though, the drivers are fine now...
No, it wasn't true. :p

Many people had issues, many didn't. Check alot of my posts on nvidia forums, alot of the time the cause was primarily the SPD settings of the ram being incorrectly set. Vista being extremely memory hungry had issues with that.

Other times it was a low power feed, especially on pre overclocked boards.

^_^ the biggest TDR culprit on Nvidia drivers was caused by Creative/Realtek sound drives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.