Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I don't follow the "sport" of racing at all...but when someone pointed this out at a sports forum, it was...rather odd.

story

Reprinting here just in case SI goes nuts and takes the story off. :p

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. says he believes his late father, seven-time NASCAR champion Dale Earnhardt, had a lot to do with his surviving a burning wreck at a sports car event in July.

Earn[h]ardt, interviewed for Wednesday night's edition of 60 Minutes on CBS, was engulfed in flames after the Corvette he was driving at an American Le Mans Series event in Sonoma, Calif., spun and backed into a tire wall. The Nextel Cup star escaped with second-degree burns to his neck and legs, which hampered his racing for several weeks but did not sideline him.

"At that moment, you think of everything ... you think, 'This would really suck if it's the way I'm going out,' " Earnhardt told interviewer Mike Wallace.

Earnhardt's father was killed three years ago in a crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500, but Junior tells Wallace that it was his father who helped him escape from the burning car.

"I think he had a lot to do with me getting out of that car," says Earnhardt. "...I don't want to put some weird, you know, psycho twist on it like he was pulling me out or anything, but he had a lot to do with me getting out of that car. From the movement I made to unbuckle my belt to lying on the stretcher, I have no idea what happened."

Earnhardt told Wallace the feeling was so real that when he reached safety, he began inquiring about the "person" who helped him out of the burning car. "I had my ... PR man ... by the collar screaming at him to find the guy that pulled me out of the car," recalls Earnhardt. "He was like, 'Nobody helped you get out,' and I was like, 'That's strange because I swear somebody ... had me underneath ... my arms and was carrying me out of the car.' I mean, I swear to God."

Wallace asks, "And that was your dad?" Earnhardt responds, "Yeah, I don't know. You tell me. It ... freaks me out today just talking about it. It just gives me chills."

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
lol another parapsychologic story, and there are many of those :), anyway good for that guy that he made out of that, is alive and the damege he got ain't that bad ...

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Confused perceptions under severe stress later given shape by wishful thinking. There's nothing new under the sun :rolleyes:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I saw a story about this phenomenon of "phantom assistance" on Discovery Channel several years ago, but I don't recall the details. It has something to do with cerebral blood flow being adaptively redirected from areas responsible for body-awareness in order to economize mental focus.
In fight-or-flight response mode, people may go into an autopilot / trance-like state where in hindsight it feels as if their actions were under external direction. Similarly, people engaged in work requiring deep concentration may later report they have no memory of having completed the task, losing all track of time while "in the zone", so that the finished product feels to have been done by someone else's hand. ...It's another perceptual glitch of the human mind from which ideas of theology culturally arose. You'll often hear flaky creative-types talking about their work seeming channeled or "inspired by God", for example.
In this instance, Earnhardt Jr. personified the phantom action by emotional association to the memory of his father.

~ Call it an OS error and install the SP2 update in your brain a.s.a.p. :p

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
yeah its a shame he cant recognize it for what it is...BUT GO EARNHARDT WOOT!!!!!! I have his number plastered on my bumper and a hat :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts