Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying FF9 with ePSXe now and so far I'm thrilled! I thought I wouldn't ever be able to play it since I don't own a PSX. :) Anyway, I think I have my system configured pretty well after all the ChronoCross troubleshooting, but there's still one problem in FF9: when I go from scene to scene or in and out of battles, things get really stuttery and slow down until its loaded, and FPS goes anywhere from 70 (which I have it set for) to 30. It's especially apparent in battles, when the music will pause for a second or two a couple times while the screen is doing the flashy-swirl thing and loading.
I figured my system (1200Ghz Tbird, GF2 Pro, 256mb RAM) should be able to handle the game. Is it just that I'm playing it on an emu so I should expect inconsistent performance like this? (If that's the case, that's cool... I'd just like to know.) Otherwise, do I need to fiddle with my sound or gpu plugins? Here's my video config, I'll put the sound config in a continuation of this post:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That means u ve enabled the FSAA,
fsaa slows down a lot the swirling effect (framebuffering)
U ve two solutions:

Put off the fsaa or put off this effect (just put black on the frame buffer options)

BTW, i suggest u to take a look at Pete s oGL plugin, cuz ' u have a geforce.(far better w/ them)

bye

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Originally posted by Rargh
That means u ve enabled the FSAA,
fsaa slows down a lot the swirling effect (framebuffering)
U ve two solutions:

Put off the fsaa or put off this effect (just put black on the frame buffer options)

BTW, i suggest u to take a look at Pete s oGL plugin, cuz ' u have a geforce.(far better w/ them)

bye
Huh? I'm not quite sure I get you. I don't have hardware FSAA enabled in my GF2 settings, do you mean the "4 - Enhanced (w/out sprites)" part, and I should change it to the 3 or 2 option? And also I *am* using Pete's OpenGL plugin...
I noticed that the sputtering seems to occur when the CD drive light flashes, but it's a 52x speed so again I'd think that should be fast enough. UPDATE- I the #2 and NO filter and the stutter still happens, and again it coincides exactly with the CD drive's light flashing. I'm guessing it's either just inherent with ePSXe or there's some weird CD setting, so I'll put another screenie with my plugin settings in a reply.

m19
(Thanks for all the help, by the way, hope I'm not asking too many stupid questions.)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Don t worry about if ur questions are stupids or not
i know a guy MUCH MORE stupid than that ;)
(and there are not)

BTW, get the latest plugin for ur GF2, then go to the configuration pannel> display properties> parameters>advanced>
geforce> u should see the FSAA control pannel, then disable it if u want to keep the swirling effect.

Bye

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That was my next thought, trying one of the other CDR plugins, I didn't realize there were 3 different ones. (I'm still new at this, I'm surprised I could get it running at all. ^_^) And I'm half-considering using an ISO, but then that's almost 3 gigs of space for one game, and I can't spare that... besides, I haven't figured out how to use memory cards/save states from a LOAD CD-ROM start to an LOAD ISO start.
And it's not so much the swirl effect that's causing the delay, but right after it when the screen's black and it's fading into the battle. JOC, is there anyway to disable the swirl anyway, to see if it changes something?

m19

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Do not worry, it s the same way:
F1 for saving state
F3 for loading state

for ur speed problem, try the dynamic caching method (it could be faster)
and just make an iso cd per cd.
(i mean when u ve finished the first cd, just erase the iso and make
the iso of the second cd)

BTW, u really have a nice pic on ur desktop.
Could u send it to me :D ?

thx ^^

and i m sorry , i didn t realize u were using pete OGL

·
Registered
150 Posts
u always goes agaist me, i don't even have problem with bobbi (i chat him on ICQ) and i have major problem with you.!!!!
I WANT PEACE damn it!

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by Morgan19

Huh? I'm not quite sure I get you. I don't have hardware FSAA enabled in my GF2 settings, do you mean the "4 - Enhanced (w/out sprites)" part, and I should change it to the 3 or 2 option? And also I *am* using Pete's OpenGL plugin...
I noticed that the sputtering seems to occur when the CD drive light flashes, but it's a 52x speed so again I'd think that should be fast enough. UPDATE- I the #2 and NO filter and the stutter still happens, and again it coincides exactly with the CD drive's light flashing. I'm guessing it's either just inherent with ePSXe or there's some weird CD setting, so I'll put another screenie with my plugin settings in a reply.

m19
(Thanks for all the help, by the way, hope I'm not asking too many stupid questions.)
From what I know, FSAA has nothing to do with it. Seems like this transitions are REALLY slow on Pete's OGL Plugin, so the best way to fix this would be setting "Framebuffer" to "Black", disabling the swirl effect.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well... I tried both: enabling/disabling FSAA & doing the black-border thing and the slowdown's still there. lol

m19

1 - 20 of 34 Posts