Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a stupid question but I'm thinking about getting a Dreamcast. WHen i was looking around this site I saw emulators to run on dreamcast. Does this mean I can play snes games etc on the dreamcast? Can anyone explain to me?
Cheers.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
The Dreamcast is about the best console for emulation, if you exclude Xbox. Xbox needs modding and the emulators are made by using an illegal SDK.

Dreamcast does not need any modifacation and all emulators are considered legal, except for some hacks. As you may know we only support legal emulators, so asking support for DC emus is alright, but for Xbox emus it's not. :)

Dreamcast is a great system to play Sega Master System games on, and NES is emulated almost perfectly as well. As a matter of fact NesterDC SE is about to be released, and from what I know it will be the perfect NES emulator. Gameboy emulation is pretty good as well as well as certain other consoles, but those emulators I have not tried.

Don't expect too much of Snes emulation, DC can run most Snes roms, but none is at true fullspeed. Some are playable, but I hardly find it enjoyable enough to play when compared to Snes emulation on pc. My main reason for buying a DC was its very good NES emulation.

Oh and the DC has got its fair share of quality titles as well, which can be bought very cheaply at sites such as Ebay ;)

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Easiest way is to get the program Alcohol 120% to burn the premade selfbootable Discjuggler images from www.dcemulation.com. NGEmu provides emulators as well but I can not guarantee those are the most recent version. It would be wise to check the readmes of emulators to see if they support disc swapping. I know NesterDC and Dreamsnes do. This way you have to use a single CDr for every emulator you download, and you can create one rom disc.

The best alternative seems to be using the SBI (selfboot inducer) files, however I don't have any experience with those. I tried it once and gave up, and stuck with my own method:
Download DCHakker from NGEmu or DCemulation.com, and burn the image using Alcohol to create a selfbooting bootloader. Secondly, you can create a second disc with the 'Plain Files' of the emulators which you can find at dcemulation as well, put all the roms on that disc as well in the right directories. Most emulators have browsers but they start in a certain folder, like /games or /roms and it's pretty frustrating having to browse before you can see the list of all your games.

This way, you can boot up DCHakker, switch discs, select the binary file of the emulator you want to play (or homebrew game), and play your games.

If you need any advice on which emulators to get or what directories you need to put the roms, just ask and we might be able to help you out :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.