Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of weird. After unzipping/installing Dolphin, whenever I try loading the .exe file(s), it waits a while and then says that the program has encountered an error and need to close [when it asks if you if you want to send an error report or not].

I've tried the Dolphin SVN 2195 build [32 bit, the 64 bit couldnt even be "ran"] and the newest one [3 something] I believe but both yielding the same result.

The only reason why it seems weird to me is because regardless of my system's capabilities, should I have a problem even opening a file? Atleast not an error such as this anyway.

Thanks
~Monarch

· Wii have a PCii
115 Posts
I presume you use Vista, Vista makes everything possible. One thing is sure you can't run a 64 bit on a 32 bit Operating System. So I guess you use Vista 32 bit. Try open as administrator, try open in XP Service Pack 2 mode. Try other builds.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, let me thankyou for replying, it may seem a little, but a little goes a long way. I am not using Windows Vista however, I am using Windows XP. I do believe that mines is upgraded to Windows Service Pack 2 also, if not 3 [if there is one out] because the system automatically updates. Perhaps my Operating System may be 32-bit, but it doesnt even open that.

I've tried many versions of Dolphin, all yielding to the same result.

This is why I found it kind of weird, any other ideas?

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
How are we supposed to know what your problem could be, if you haven't posted your system specifications?

You might want to try reading the requirements to ensure your PC even meets the minimal requirements just to boot games:

http://forums.ngemu.com/dolphin-discussion/120515-dolphin-requirements.html

The above thread is listed in the faq which is stickied at the top of this forum.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Im not too much of the computer guy, but I have reason to believe that my computer is old. Eventhough its old, I have reason to believe that it was powerful in its generation but may not be considered powerful in today's generation.

I was able to run every emulator that I've tried [MAME, SNES, NES, ePSXe, Chankast, iDeas, No$gba, etc.] very effeciently except for PCSX2 as it requires a demand that my computer does not reach. From what I have read, I have come to believe that Dolphin is less demanding than PCSX2, so I figured that if I can get it to atleast run, maybe I can upgrade my specifications as seen fit. I had reason to believe that I could boot up Dolphin seeing as how I was able to run PCSX2 in its very early stages [I guess that had to be years ago] albeit extremely slowly [well all I tried was the bios], but it worked.

As I stated, I am not the computer guy so I really dont know what specifications to post or where to get them, but I'll try:

AMD/Athlon XP 1600+, MMX, 3DNow, 1.4GHz
Trident Video Card Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia
Memory: 248MB RAM

And Im upgraded to DirectX 9.0c. If any more information is neccesary, let me know.

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Good God. I haven't seen a Trident video card in years.

You might as well get a completely new computer since upgrading your video card would get Dolphin running, but no games would even be playable. (single digit fps)

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
AMD/Athlon XP 1600+, MMX, 3DNow, 1.4GHz
Trident Video Card Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia
There are your main reasons why.. Even if you could get any games working, you could expect games to run no faster than a complete slide show.

Processor lacks the SSE2 instruction set which is a hardware feature and required by Dolphin, video card lacks shader model 2.0 (Pixel/Vertex shading 2.0). it also lacks the required OpenGL extensions and most likely doesn't support OpenGL 2.x, so scratch being able to use the OpenGL plugin. I'm not even sure if that particular video chipset/card even supports any kind of shaders.

On top of that your processor is clocked extremely low, recommended for Dolphin to get most games running decently is a processor that supports SSE2 clocked at 2.4 Ghz or higher.

All in all you need an upgrade at the very least. However you probably would need an entirely new system with decent specifications, an Intel Core2Duo is and anything above a Nvidia Geforce 6xxx series or ATI Radeon 1xxx series is recommended.

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Likely between $500 - $800 at the cheapest. You could save some money by getting a lower model Core2Duo and overclock it, ram isn't all that expensive if you know where to look for a deal.

Don't cheap out on a power supply, this is the most important thing not to cheap out on unless you want a faulty power supply to fry the components.

You could save some money by using the Hard Drive, and CD/DVD drive from your current PC, but if you plan to build new you will need a new motherboard and ram.

If you plan on building yourself, you can save a substantial amount if you look in the right place and still get quality component.

If you don't plan on doing any PC gaming, a Geforce 7xxx series card should be more than enough, but stay away from low end (LE) models or turbocache models.

If you plan on buying pre-built, try going for something with a Core2Duo or at the very least a Phenom processor, I'm still unsure how these fare with Dolphin compared to the last generation AMD64 x 2 line of processors.

As mentioned if you are also buying pre-built, a Nvidia Geforce 7xxx series or better should be sufficient.

You will generally want 1.5 GB - 2 GB of ram or better depending on what you plan to use your PC for, Dolphin doesn't like anything less than 1 GB or 1.5 GB of ram.

· Registered
62 Posts
As mentioned if you are also buying pre-built, a Nvidia Geforce 7xxx series or better should be sufficient.

You will generally want 1.5 GB - 2 GB of ram or better depending on what you plan to use your PC for, Dolphin doesn't like anything less than 1 GB or 1.5 GB of ram.
I'd like to add that if you want a custom pre-built Gaming computers, custom gaming computers, gaming pc, custom gaming pc
Reliable site.
PS. I'm not an advertising bot as you can see by my other posts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.