Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but their tech support doesn't seem to understand their own software. I basically had steam burn on me, so I sent off an email 3 weeks ago because HL2 wouldn't work offline correctly. My response arrived today.

my question w/ errorlogs attached
My computer is not normally connected to the internet, so when I registered HL2 I made sure that it was set up for offline play, and I verified that HL2 WORKED w/o the internet in offline mode. When I moved my computer back to its normal location, it now gives me the error that "this operation is not available in offline mode". It worked once, so I'd like to know what went wrong, as connecting my computer is difficult.
Techsupports response
Hello,

If Steam is automatically starting in offline mode even when you are online, please follow the instructions below:

1. Exit Steam
2. Be sure you are online and restart Steam

If Steam still starts automatically in offline mode this problem is most likely being caused by your firewall.

You need to go to the firewall permissions and remove all references to steaminstall.exe, steam.exe, all instances of hl.exe and hl2.exe and allow them to be re-learned.

Be sure to give permission for all ports and TCP and UDP when the firewall asks. If the Firewall does NOT ask then you may have the firewall settings set too high and you'll need to lower them.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
You can try the steampowered forums, and I am moving this to game discussion.

·
Who?
69 Posts
Steam is just a mess to me. Steam has been offline for hours..Since its the weekend, who knows when it will be back up. Only ppl that can get in our the ones that have already been connected ( I think).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Reichfuher said:
You can try the steampowered forums, and I am moving this to game discussion.
Since this was more of a rant on inept techsupport, i felt it was more appropriate in open.

Player-X said:
you need half-life 2 to start up once in online mode to verify that it works then run it offline
This is my fault. I forgot to mention that I was able to set up HL2 and fix it within 24 hours on my own. My thread was supposed to be a flame on this tech guy, who obviously though that I was an idiot (as I have proved here today)

And i love how half of the world can't log onto STEAM but their system status is still AOK

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Well lets not start a flame fest, maybe you got a automated response. We could be here all year *****ing about steam.

·
Registered
632 Posts
at first i also have problems like this, my problem with the offline mode is that once you configured HL2 for offline play, you must also select its option not to automatically start with windows cause if your connected to the net, steam will again REAUTHENTICATE which really sucks especially when your using a dialup and it takes a while. iwant to post some pix but i just updated steam but now i cant login. steam servers are overloaded i guess.

what im saying is that once you configured HL2 for offline play, never let steam run again while your connected to the net unless you need to upgrade or needs some patch. if you want to connect to the net while running steam, first run steam and start in offline mode and then connect to the net.

EDIT:
i was able to login to steam just right now and check the pix for trouble free offline mode dont check the option that says " run steam when windows start "

and after you log in to steam, right click it in your system tray, select play games and again right click HL2 and check status, it will display the percentage of your offline mode, wait for it to say 100% and your good to go.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
And make sure you DONT enable auto updates. Otherwise it might update when ur connected without you notice and if it doesnt finish the update you can't play offline.

Btw i was able to connect and play with steam all week :/

·
Registered
632 Posts
Is anybody here authenticated their HL2/Counterstrike using a dial up. steam really really sucks for us dial up users, just check out the pix and i can only connect to my isp at 44k :mad: w/c translate to about 5.5k d/l speed, :idea: i think i should just goto *removed* and get some patch their. :evil:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
the last patch for CS: Source was a little big, so yes it will take a while.

and steam never gave me any headache since I isntalled it, a couple of years ago :p

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Never had problems with Steam, except with the launcher stalling on loading, but that was with the first versions.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Iran: Please watch your double posting, use the edit button, and dont mention websites with cracks on them please.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Iran thats not authenticating. Its updating the game. And obviously that will take a long time on dialup. Like i said disable auto updates. Its probably gonna be best if u uninstall and play without the updated version. (Why CS on dial up any way?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts