Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
(>^_^)> *KIRBY*
2,617 Posts
dam dood get a fukn antivirus proggy if u having problems with viruses... ive stopped about 5 from infecting my comp :) lucky me

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Yep,i did heard about some new year viruses.Most dangerous was supposed to be something with a long name and attacking microsoft outlook and outlook express.It gives new year wishes in subject line .It spreads automatically to all emails in address book so people think that its really a new year greeting from someone reliable.
Beware before opening your attachments.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
U mean "ARCV.New year" virus.......Come with e-mail attachments and plug itself to any exe program that u are using, and then continue to infects everything.....This and the y2k virus are the most dangerous in the new year's eve....But they are no match for those melissa's new virus....this ones are very dangerous, don't worry about the new year virus, even that Dos antivirus made for just one kind of virus can beat them....U jst have to do something about it ;) ....

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
There's also a virus that is infecting Yahoo! Mail accounts. I know many people uses Yahoo! Mail, so here is what Yahoo! says:

About Yahoo! Mail
Virus Alert: If you receive a message with the subject line "Welcome to Yahoo! Mail" with an attachment called "Readme.txt .pif", DO NOT OPEN this attachment. This message is NOT from Yahoo! and it contains a harmful virus. Remember to scan all attachments for viruses.

Take care Yahoo! Mail users.

G

·
problem with nimda is, that it can infect your computer even WITHOUT opening the attachment....this will only happen with older versions of IE 5 though..

now there was a certain person called Samor who had ie5.0. He disabled his virus scanner's background/online/email whatever scan and set it to manual to improve game performance. Then he got this blank mail with a readme.exe. He immediately deleted it but it turned out to be nimda, using a leak in the old ie and still infecting the computer, even without actually opening the attachment. Samor later found out when his games started to perform worse. He removed the virus and reinstalled just to make sure; in any case it prevented him from posting on emuforums during the weekend =P

G

·
yes, but it was a bit my own fault here.....I mean, I knew nimda affected older ie's and I didnt have background scan turned on...not very smart.

·
8+ Years
2,800 Posts
I got 1 too. :) Oh well...just live with it. :)

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I'm using OE 5.5, and I haven't got a virus since I installed it. I guess VirusScan is working.

btw, I almost got a birus today. My sister was trying to enter her College's site, when VirusScan alerted that a virus was trying to infect my computer. After deleting the virus, she could see the following message at her college's website(without the stars, of course):
"f**** USA Government
f**** PoizonBOx"

Nice security her college website has(she's stdying at USP, one of the best universities in São Paulo).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Originally posted by Samor
problem with nimda is, that it can infect your computer even WITHOUT opening the attachment....this will only happen with older versions of IE 5 though..

now there was a certain person called Samor who had ie5.0. He disabled his virus scanner's background/online/email whatever scan and set it to manual to improve game performance. Then he got this blank mail with a readme.exe. He immediately deleted it but it turned out to be nimda, using a leak in the old ie and still infecting the computer, even without actually opening the attachment. Samor later found out when his games started to perform worse. He removed the virus and reinstalled just to make sure; in any case it prevented him from posting on emuforums during the weekend =P
Hey...i only get relieved when u said: older versions of IE5....
I do the same as u did....Just manual virus scans.....Mine lucky that i have the last IE.....

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just updated my computer to the newest OS and everything looks so cool. And I never heard anything about a New years virus. Luckily for me I wasn't online and I don't check e-mail very often either. ^-^

Originally posted by jonys

Hey...i only get relieved when u said: older versions of IE5....
I do the same as u did....Just manual virus scans.....Mine lucky that i have the last IE.....

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
NAV 2002 without a doubt. I've had NAV on my machine since the win 3.1 days. I have never had a virus thanks to it (although I've had 7 near misses).

BTW an AV program is only as good as the date of its signiture files. Most ppl whose machines I have had to clean had AV packages but never updated the signitures since they were installed. Keep em up to date.

I like the fact that NAV 2002 has an auto update facility. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.