Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, don't worry, I won't be asking where to get it...just had some thoughts about laws considering software licenses.
As it was stated in this forum in some threads buying a game does not mean buying the rights for every single copy which means when i lost or broke the original CD it is still illegal to download it, although I payed for the game.
How's the situation about the PSX bios ?
I always read you can only get it legally when you own a PS.
There are ways to get it from the PS one boght, but i guess most people just download it somewhere, and also have different versions for compatibility reasons.
Is downloading legal at all ?
If it is, is it then illegal to download a different version than your own PS uses ? As i understand it, it should be illegal since you have only one licence for one version.

Now why am I asking this ? I'd like to play Final Fantasy Tactics on my PC. I could easily get the game from ebay BUT i have a pal psx and FFT was never released in Europe so i'd need a NTSC bios to play it.
And since my PS is pal I have no right to use a NTSC Bios, right ?
Therefore there is no way for me to play FFT on my PC without breaking any laws (except buying an american PS) , right ?

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Is downloading legal at all ?
nope, for the same reason as downloading a game is illegal. they in fact had a court case about this when Napster was around. napster proponents argued that you can download music you own because you're simply backing it up, and it was shot down. poor napster.

As i understand it, it should be illegal since you have only one licence for one version.
yeah, the one in your Playstation. not for any others floating around the net.

FFT was never released in Europe so i'd need a NTSC bios to play it.
not true. the BIOS is not region specific, nor is it PAL/NTSC specific.

im going to stop quoting all your other posts and say this in summary:

i think that one of the great things about PSX emulation is to help out people like you. PSX emulation doesnt have region control codes. it doesnt matter what BIOS you use. so, you can happily dump your PAL BIOS, go to ebay and buy US or J games that you want, like FFT or Chrono Cross, and play them perfectly and 100% legally on your computer. and we here at emuforums will help you out ;)

does that all make sense? any more questions, just ask.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hushypushy said:
not true. the BIOS is not region specific, nor is it PAL/NTSC specific.
Oh, that's great. Thought it would differ in compatibility.
I think I'll try getting a FF7 US-Version too. Played the geman version years ago and suffered much from the crappy translation...

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.