Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, after posting in this thread i felt i needed to make a real topic.

my question is this: why do non-native english speakers tend to use so many smileys? (in comparison to their fellow, native english speaking members). i am only speaking of this forum (emuforums) in general, not of any other forum or website.

I'll paste something from the other thread:

Davor said:
Anything wrong with expersing my fealings with emoticons?

I mean, that WAS teir original purpose, was it not?! Am I missing something?
hushypushy said:
nope, nothing wrong with it. and yep, that's their purpose.

and ill be perfectly honest. im not trying to be offensive, please do not take umbrage.

i have just noticed that, by and large, native english speaking members (from the UK, canada, or US) tend to use far fewer smileys than do foreign members.

i have a feeling it's because, due to their being slightly (or severely) inept at english, they feel they cannot convey their emotions, and thus need to use emoticons to help....
discuss.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Well as for my self i dont think it has to do with not beeing a native english, i tend to use emoticons when possible becouse its too easy for whoever is reading my messages to take it the wrong way, using emoticons they can see if im beeing serious, sarcastic, funny etc...

I got in some serious fights over the internet couse we didnt get what the other really meant.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
The reason why I started to use smileys more often is because I want to let others know in what way I meant what I just typed. I can ask someone if he had a bad day, and he might take it offensive, or normal, depending on the smiley ( :rolleyes: or :p )

On msn I use a lot of smileys as well because with my way of talking I got into some nasty situations simply because of misunderstandings. Since I've been using some more smileys to give an indication of how it was meant, there have been less misunderstandings.

However, I must say that the amount of smileys the person in question used, was a bit overkill. There's no need to put a smiley after each line. Smileys should be used in addition to text, not the other way around.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
Well, my fellow Mexican chat pals say I use waaaaaay too many emoticons already so I don't think it has to do with me being non native. Maybe it's just that that English speaking people have less feelings to convey :p

·
band
5,270 Posts
i don't find myself using a lot of emotions...

but i think one reason some non-native english speakers use smilies is simply because they havent been introduced to the "cool"/sarcasm-oriented north american teen culture (which some ppl still carry into their middleyears) maybe. thus they dont have a problem expressing their emotions or are able to find humor in using happy smilies ^^

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
i usually use them when i'm being a jackass but trying to make it seem like i'm not. the rolleyes smiley used to be my favourite. now i just stick to the "classic" two: ;) and :p

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I'm one of those who writes more smilies than words. :)p)
Like Cid and XxCrashxX, I think smilies can alleviate some "heavy" sarcasm sentences. I.e. , you say:
No, the truth is that you're a fat chick
No, the truth is that you're a fat chick :p
Which one sounded less agressive? (or more funny)

I like to put smiles in sentences, they show an emotion easier than words. (however, somtimes I need to edit my posts cause they're to much loaded with smilies.)
Also, I've noticed that I tend to write more smilies in english boards than in MSN or portuguese forums. And the lasts times I'm getting used of =p =D =) XD XP more than the classical smilies.

BTW, nice topic Hushy (;))

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys, i got a lot of insight from this...

another example would be this post. while not incredibly laden with smileys, notice the 3x use of the head bash smiley.

the replies kind of made me think...just imagine you're struggling with a language (you all seem to be quite good at your 2nd or 3rd languages..). i can totally understand it, that's how i am with Japanese. i could post at a japanese forum (did once at the ssspsx board :p ) and i know what they're saying, but im still enough of a newb that they'd be like "wow japlish it up more plz". so i think that also, people tend to not 100% know what they're saying and they use emoticons to express that.....

D.D. said:
but i think one reason some non-native english speakers use smilies is simply because they havent been introduced to the "cool"/sarcasm-oriented north american teen culture (which some ppl still carry into their middleyears) maybe. thus they dont have a problem expressing their emotions or are able to find humor in using happy smilies ^^
that is very interesting i had never ever thought of anything like that...

miretank said:
somtimes I need to edit my posts cause they're to much loaded with smilies.
i do that once in a while too. i'll type up something and just realize that i've smiley'd it up a bit too much(or sometimes on AIM, i'll be like, whoa, that was a lot of smileys, and stop using them). or sometimes in PSX discussion i realize that hey, im kind of doing a job here, i've got to be a little more serious...it's different on IRC or MSN or AIM where each line is a different message...but if you've ever noticed, yeloazn uses the ":p" smiley after pretty much everything he says :lol: (dont mean to pick on you buddy!)

miretank said:
BTW, nice topic Hushy (;))
thanks! i hope people find it as interesting as me...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I do. I'm surprised. :p

I'm not sure if your observations on the matter are representative, as I'd sooner think the emoticon usage is relative to mostly individual reasons for each user.

I myself use emoticons to take in account other people's inability to conceive wit the way it was intended. I apparently seem serious to some no matter how ironic or ridiculous the context, if I don't use smileys. (note replies #89, #90, #99 and how it went on :p) Moreover, whenever I am serious and analytically cool, I also seem to be considered angered/threatening if I don't relieve my sentences with smileys, to some. I assume it is because I'm often a critic taken as if I were out for blood, by people misunderstanding the widely different intentions critics can wield. This also happened soon after I registered though, but seeing what was revealed to me late this year in the Welcome Back Thread, the responsible resident's lack of self-awareness was quite possibly to blame. People get defensive and consider me laughing at their puny perspectives as any wrongdo-er worthy of trashing would do, and so, I'd receive ridiculous backlash. :lol:

My use of :lol: is different. I use it as an alternative to the usual acronyms like lol, rofl, lmao, etc. I feel those acronyms are degrading to my usual way of expression, but any of these convey a laugh better than anything else.

So in my case, it ends up being a choice out of self-interest. I'm tired of misunderstandings.

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
For me, it simply is a matter of ensuring the proper intention is put across. It doesn't matter which language I use, as long as it's not formal writing. The problem is I'm known to be the serious type with a sharp, implicit wit, so it's dangerous to let my kind of humor flow especially when in the midst of serious text without proper precaution.

But if I smile, I smile. If I find something funny, I laugh. Thus the appropriate smiley.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gaurav said:
I use it as an alternative to the usual acronyms like lol, rofl, lmao, etc. I feel those acronyms are degrading to my usual way of expression, but any of these convey a laugh better than anything else.
yeah, really. you'll never catch me ever using lol, rofl, lmao. i throw in a "haha" every once in a while but that's about it.

i'll just throw something else in--i remember hearing a while back that high school teachers were furious that students were starting to type things like w/e, u, lol, and such into their school essays. they were so used to emoticons and shortcuts that they were actually typing it into schoolwork...

also Xeven you bring up something funny, i love when people use a bunch of smileys at once. it's like, "i cant wait till the next version of PCSX2! :lol: :) :hdbash: :evil: :p"

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
D.D. said:
Good point. About the sarcasm, it is somehow dangerous.
You may not even notice but your phrase may sound harsh to the other reader, and smilies can neutralize such effect. I myself have some probs with this. Sometimes I say things that I know that will sound sarcastic and bit harshful (not because I want, don't want it all, but I think its motivated by two facts: my lack of skills in english, and sometimes in a conversation, you may want to expose your opinion, and wanting or not, you may sound a bit harshful) then I use smilies to make the phrase more friendly.
For the part of "expressing emotions", I can agree with you. With my friends, I try to be funny and a sociable, then I get to be more "emotional". Thats what I do in the boards too.

Xeven said:
I use a lot of smilies because I'm a psychopath Also because in real life I never show much emotion of any kind Hence (in my case) an afforded luxury
Whoa! you don't showing emotion? :p Never thought that a funny guy like you could be so introspective :) BTW, you're my idol after that amazing Readmeordie file your wrote :D

·
[Insert Ad Here]
334 Posts
I use the smilies for the same reason most here. It's real difficult the express the emotion you are feeling when your expressing a thought or opinion. By default there are two way people can interpt the text. They either interpt or misinterpt the text as certain emotion or as the more obvious expression of SHOUTING with the use of capital letters. Similes help express the conversional tones in the text we write online because when we communicate with others in real life, the tone or the way we speak can indicate the intent of what we are saying.

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Gaurav said:
My use of :lol: is different. I use it as an alternative to the usual acronyms like lol, rofl, lmao, etc. I feel those acronyms are degrading to my usual way of expression, but any of these convey a laugh better than anything else.
they're just so damn AOL-speak

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.