Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
can we find a way to integrate the mainpage into the forums? Install some vB mods or something?

All we need is a download database mod and maybe another mod that makes updated news more noticeable

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
We already have something like that in place....just the other way around. Currently, people need to be added manually to post news on the mainpage. Then a forum post is created to store comments. I guess that Wordpress plugin takes post from the forums and puts that on the Wordpress page. It would be a hell of a lot easier to get more people actively posting news, since we can have the power to allow users to post news if they want.

I'll be perfectly honest with you....I HATE the download system we have ATM. Every time an emulator is updated, we have to copy and paste the descriptions from the previous entry. Uploading doesn't work all the time because of certain directory permissions, and the WYSIWYG news editor isn't exactly accurate.

I just have that vision that pretty much the entire mainpage can be consolidated into the forums....just having a simple wordpress page with links to downloads and the latest news

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's Friday and they're doing server-y things so I can't imagine it will get done today, but I'll put the ticket in for it.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
It's Friday and they're doing server-y things so I can't imagine it will get done today, but I'll put the ticket in for it.
ticket for what? :p

I'm just throwing out ideas....nothing I expect to change for awhile now :p

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Kirby, is the idea to switch news generating to being forum-based (people creating moderated threads in the forum, that can then get reviewed, approved then moved to news by any normal forum mod/smod/admin), and pafiledb replaced by a better system (but not handcoded)?

Everyone being who? The pf staff or the whole forum?
There is no real need to consult the memberbase. They could reasonably find it objectable to have fp fully changed to an immediately 'worse' fp, though they wouldnt object if only the backend part changed, with the display still the same (other than requiring a much needed edit for the width, as it's very narrow, and not too looking too spaceefficient in resolutions higher than 800x600)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I would be against asking all the members. We're never going to be able to please everyone. This is a decision best left up to the people who actually work on it.

That said, am I correct in that there's only 3 of you? Do you want more front page staff? Do you have anyone in mind? Or are you good as is?

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
am I correct in that there's only 3 of you? Do you want more front page staff?
There are a number, though a bit inactive (some since long). Only 3 suffice(d) to cover everything efficiently.
It's more efficient to just have forum threads forwarded to the fp (more specifically posted under a specific fixed user, such as "NGemu news" -not a real mod, just having custom stars) after being approved for move/forward by a normal forum mod/smod/admin.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you like what you have?

Be very simple and clear with me. It's Sautrday morning and I put in my 40 hours by Wed. :lol:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Do you like what you have?

Be very simple and clear with me. It's Sautrday morning and I put in my 40 hours by Wed. :lol:
Keep what we have. Punch out already :p

I'll chat with the others. I just feel that what's there ATM is tedious to maintain and half the content has no use anymore (screenshots have nothing in it, compatibility list is too old, half our affiliates link to dead links, ect.)....and there's no easy way for any of us to maintain it

·
Registered
66 Posts
can we find a way to integrate the mainpage into the forums? Install some vB mods or something?

All we need is a download database mod and maybe another mod that makes updated news more noticeable
This will be done sooner than you know ;)

Stay tuned for an announcement and live link to the new homepage on Monday!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
This will be done sooner than you know ;)

Stay tuned for an announcement and live link to the new homepage on Monday!
talk about unexpected....I wasn't planning on this oO

tell me now: how will the new download system work?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts