Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Square Enix: Dragon Quest X Coming To Wii
I just really hope that inspisres publishers to put some series effort into the Wii. Right now, theres still not a single game on the immediate horizon that caught my interest, but with MH3 and DQ X things are looking good n japan. I don't knowhow many of you remember Nintendos situation before the Wii came out, DQ for a nintendo console? hat was certainly unthinkable back then.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Indeed dude. it's about time they get some games that aren't focused on mini games.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I hate to say it, but as much as i like RPG's, Dragon Quest has never interested me in the slightest, It seems to be more a niche RPG.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I hate to say it, but as much as i like RPG's, Dragon Quest has never interested me in the slightest
Indeed. DQ7 made me want to kill myself, and DQ8 looked like DBZ anime ****fest. DQ is probably one of the biggest RPG series that I couldn't care less that Sony lost.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
To be fair, Playstation brand only had... what? 2 games in the main line? DQVII and DQVIII? It's not as big as deal as, for example, Final Fantasy.

Also, I really don't get why people feel the need to insult every game they don't like. I see that happening more in the cases of games that are popular. Jeez guys, they are just games. No need to get all huff puff over them.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I see that happening more in the cases of games that are popular.
Well, yeah. It's no fun saying a game nobody knows of is crap since nobody is there to try and defend it.

Nintendo had it first.
Sure, but the point is more that Sony lost it, just as Nintendo lost it during PSX days. It doesn't really matter who had it first. Anyways, point is 'whatever'.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well I really liked Dragon Quest VIII. Thought it was probably the best RPG I've ever played to be honest. (It's the only Dragon Quest game I've played though so everything was new.)

I think I found some of the Final Fantasy games too pretentious. (I mean, no offence to anyone who liked it, but I thought FFX was a big pile of wank!) That's where I thought this game really gave you what you wanted. Just a good classic RPG.

If you like the cartoonish style graphics (I did :)), then I reckon you'll find Dragon Quest VIII to be a pretty sweet game with real character. Some cool story developments, great voice acting, good amount to explore, loads of personality, ideal sound effects and soundtrack, decent battle system with some cool features, etc. If you haven't played it I'd really recommend givin' it a go.

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
I'm in the same position. I've had Dragon Quest 8 for a long time as well. I need to play it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
guys, play it.
i dotn care for the dragon quest series up to part 7, they arent really that interesting (though the first DS remake was kind of fun).
but dragon quest 8? that was seriously one of the best RPGs ever. Idont want to explain it, but its really really good and also, the american version is far superior to the original japanese one, which is pretty rare as well.
sure, dragon quest isnt animportant name here, but in japan it means everything. this news is like nintendo rising a victory flag to signalize all publishers, this si where you need to go, even if you dotn care much for dragon quest, the results of this announcement will be good news for you too, eventually.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
Hmm, y'know, two of the biggest things that got on my nerve in DQ VIII was the high random encounter rate and slow battles.

I mean, you have this huge and beautiful cel-shaded world but you can't experience it to the fullest because of random encounters happening every 10 seconds. The battles are sooo slow that by the time I end one I don't even know where I'm supposed to go or even where I am.

What I'm trying to say is, I hope that DQX ditches random encounters and replaces them with visible enemies on map which you can avoid if you want. Also, speed up battles!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I hope that DQX ditches random encounters and replaces them with visible enemies on map which you can avoid if you want. Also, speed up battles!
Yea, that could be cool. But the battles didn't wreck DQ8 for me. Later on in the game you can get some cool stuff to speed up battles loads.

Anyway, if you wanna play DQ8 with no/less random encounters you could use the savegame editor I made to give yourself the gospel ring.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, y'know, two of the biggest things that got on my nerve in DQ VIII was the high random encounter rate and slow battles.

I mean, you have this huge and beautiful cel-shaded world but you can't experience it to the fullest because of random encounters happening every 10 seconds. The battles are sooo slow that by the time I end one I don't even know where I'm supposed to go or even where I am.

What I'm trying to say is, I hope that DQX ditches random encounters and replaces them with visible enemies on map which you can avoid if you want. Also, speed up battles!
you get a spell very early on to decrease the encounter rate and theres equipment and items for it too, so thats not a very solid point id say. i was making use of these thigns frequently, i admit that otherwise it may have been annoying.
but well, considerign the change of direction with DQ IX, pretty much anything could happen with DQ X.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
you get a spell very early on to decrease the encounter rate and theres equipment and items for it too, so thats not a very solid point id say. i was making use of these thigns frequently, i admit that otherwise it may have been annoying.
That's the thing. I don't want to rely on spells, items, equipment and magical faires to lower the encounter rate. I want to be able to go into battle whenever I want to and the best way to do that is to make the enemies visible, like in Chrono Trigger, for example.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.