Next Generation Emulation banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Perhaps the message has not been clear enough.

Further offtopic will not be welcomed, as neither will be unproductive, generic bickering about legalities and moral aspects of donations that do not belong to this topic. Disregard this advice at your own peril.

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
Why not delete the offending posts then?

on topic:
I wish there was a way to save button configurations. I have to keep re-entering the controls every time i load the emulator...

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Why not delete the offending posts then?

on topic:
I wish there was a way to save button configurations. I have to keep re-entering the controls every time i load the emulator...
Hopefully he'll fix that in the next version. Is there a way to report bugs to him?

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
hes probably reachable by email

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,145 Posts
I have some bad report:

Downloaded the free version for testing and got this big fat message. I know it may be wrong but maybe he should use other tools or options to reduce the file size that do not bring such messages.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It's Norton. It probably thinks Armageddon is starting up every time you change your wallpaper.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,145 Posts
While the message may be wrong its still great to get a notice about such things since malware could be hidden in similar methods. Usually tools like PECompact or similar ones used to reduce file size can create such scenarios.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,145 Posts
I know, i know but i like it as it works great for my needs even if it brings such false messages(rarely tho.)

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
It's Norton. It probably thinks Armageddon is starting up every time you change your wallpaper.
Norton tends to freak out with false positives, and it did with no$sns. I solved that by turning it off and adding the program on a white list, then I turned it back on. I got Norton for free through Comcast, so I can't complain.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Or maybe Norton should actually try detecting a virus instead of just barking at any random packed executable.
I agree, this is Norton's fault, not anyone else's fault.

I'm wondering if this keeps up "False positives" if Anti Virus programs will be that good.

Maybe the Anti Virus programs are being seeded to make newbiews think emulator's are bad?

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
[strike]Other[/strike] Leading antiviruses also pick that up. With filesizes this small and next to no notable gain in execution performance or overhead, perhaps use of less unconventional executable packers would be wise.
Fixed :p. On a more serious note though does anybody actually know what packer did he use ?

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
"Leading" I'm sorry but I wonder if its to keep newbies from using emulators.

Call me off my rocker, but it wouldn't take much for the gaming industry to encourage false positives.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,145 Posts
The false positive in this case isn't something the author did on porpuse. In fact a lot of coders use PE packers such as PECompact UPX and many others. I used UPX in the past to pack my executables as there is nothing wrong with that. However such techniques may cause those false positives and even if its wrong in this case trojans or viruses could be hidden in such methods so i personally see nothing wrong seeing them. The fact is that sometimes is quite hard to differenciate such methods and hidden malware as far as i know.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I've been told by a certain reputable coder who most of us (me excluded) hate, that martin uses packing code that's entirely unique and his own.

·
Registered
79 Posts
$Info: This file is packed with the UPX executable packer http://upx.tsx.org $..$Id: UPX 1.01 Copyright (C) 1996-2000 the UPX Team. All Rights Reserved.
Seems to be good old UPX in the case of no$sns. Really old UPX, in fact (v1.01 was released in April 2000, they're at 3.08 nowadays).

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
The false positive in this case isn't something the author did on porpuse. In fact a lot of coders use PE packers such as PECompact UPX and many others. I used UPX in the past to pack my executables as there is nothing wrong with that. However such techniques may cause those false positives and even if its wrong in this case trojans or viruses could be hidden in such methods so i personally see nothing wrong seeing them. The fact is that sometimes is quite hard to differenciate such methods and hidden malware as far as i know.
I'm not blaming the coders, I'm wondering if the gaming industry has people sending "false" positives on emulators, or reporting them as Malware.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,145 Posts
I'm not blaming the coders, I'm wondering if the gaming industry has people sending "false" positives on emulators, or reporting them as Malware.
I strongly doubt that. The gaming industry simply don't care about Emulators. In fact Emulators are only glorified in forums like this one but outside this world Emulation isn't something many people care and specially in a business enviroment.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts