Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Professional Spitter.
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since ive had my video card, ive noticed some problems with it, including an possibly broken support for DirectX 8. But my biggest problem with it is that my comp cant seem to display any resolution under 1024x768. Instead, it shows a black screen, and occasionally the screen starts out black but lights up from below.

It only happens with fullscreen resolutions, it displays correctly with windowed resolutions.

Im using a Sapphire Radeon HD4670 coupled with a 19" Iiyama LCD monitor, the type i cant remember(black, short stand, 5 buttons in front with a LED between the last 2) but it can go up to 1280x1024, which is my current resolution.

All the resolutions worked fine with my previous video card, also an Sapphire ATI. Ive tried many diffrent drivers, none worked. (currently using the 8.6 drivers.)

Did anyone have this same problem ?

·
ヒット激しく速く
26,508 Posts
I really would update the drivers to the latest if i where you :p (or the 9.7 beta ones).
With my Saphire 3650 i dont have a problem with lower res, though a possible problem may be that when going lower res the refresh rate goes to low in that game (experienced it with some game i forgot which exactly). Try to lock refresh rate to 60Hz for those resolutions (in catalyst or ATi tray tools whatever you use).

·
Professional Spitter.
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its not just in games, it also happens when im just changing my resolution to lets say 800x600, 640x480 and the like.

But im gonna try locking the refresh rates.

EDIT: The refresh rates indicate 75 Hz on all resolutions, just to let you know.

EDIT2: i seem to have 2 monitors listed in the desktop properties screen. One gives me just 8 resolutions, the other gives me like 24

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
uninstall the drivers.

use driversweeper.

install Catalyst 9.7 whql leak.

profit?

btw, black screens occur when the refresh rate is out of range.

·
Professional Spitter.
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so i tried to change the resolution through CCC, but it ****ed up, didnt work and got stuck. I then needed to go to Safe Mode to use system recovery to go back to 1 day ago. The funny thing is however that in safe mode i tried to go to 800x600 out of pure interest, and it worked :S

The initial screen with the bar below the windows xp logo does come up. Lets say the blackness starts when you get to pick your login id.

I'll try those drivers tomorrow, feeling like my fingers have priority atm *plugs in guitar*

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
i have a similar issue, i found in my case the monitor it doesnt like to go low res espessialy at the video card unique frequencies... are you using dvi connection if not please do that should fix your issue, also try another monitor if possible and see if the issue occurs

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
"The initial screen with the bar below the windows xp logo does come up. Lets say the blackness starts when you get to pick your login id."

Yup, classic signs of an out of range refresh rate.

bring up your monitors settings panel, and see if it has a status/info screen that tells you the current resolution and refresh rate (the one built into the display)

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Just stick with 60Hz, it's the standard for LCD, 75Hz only causes jerkiness from what I read at least, since it's not a native setting for the crystals.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
So how come 60Hz on CRTs looks like crap but on LCDs looks fine? The screen's still getting refreshed 60 times a second in both so why the difference?

·
Professional Spitter.
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So how come 60Hz on CRTs looks like crap but on LCDs looks fine? The screen's still getting refreshed 60 times a second in both so why the difference?
CRT's get refresh-induced-flicker, LCD's dont. LCD pixels dont flash on and off every time they refresh. *wikipedia*

My monitor can only display the settings its using, quite a pain really.

Tried to change the refresh rate, but Windows warns me of choosing any refresh rate that shows up when i untick the little box other than the single refresh rate available with the box ticked, 75 Hz. Dont know if it really could harm my hardware, so ima hold on that one.

Quite strange though, is that a while ago my monitor would go black for just 1 second before returning to the way it was, and that happened ingame. Occasionally, my monitor would say "Out of Range" in that second. I fixed it by turning off VPU Recovery in CCC, but 'in light of recent events' i say it didnt really do a dammn thing.

BTW, would it make a diffrence if i change the signal from digital to analog ?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
because the human eye can see the ray trace at 60hz below 1280x1024.

the digital / aalogue signal is set automatically based on whether its connected via dvi or dsub.

Dennemark, try creating a custom monitor inf?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
LCDs have an "always on" pixel working, that simply changes when it needs to (and it's ability to change is much slower than a CRT).

CRTs update every time no matter what. They're also not always on, and the phosphors are insanely fast, so unless it's updating enough times per second (75Hz minimum, but preferably 85Hz), you'll see the "off time" between each and every Hz and your eye perceives it as flicker, since it happens so quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.