Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
AS do I! I'd love to see a N64 emulator that runs games as smoothly as NES and SNES emulators do. There are way too many glitches and bugs in current N64 emulators and many errors stem from plugin compatibility.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
the plugin system is vital unless you want the emulator in software only (which i would like to see), or very limited support of games... the plugin system improves emulation of some games....

but comparing it to nes and snes emulators is no comparison its like comparing a fruit to a brick.... nes and snes emulators dont use such plugins as everything is displayed the same, you are just selecting hardware to render to perform filtering while n64 and psx uses plugins as to everything is not rendered 100% perfectly due to the plugin, and one plugin cant ever accurately emulate n64 graphics, well except 3dfx one as its closely matches n64 rendering capabilities... the plugin system was put in place so the devs can concentrate on the core emu while other devs can work graphic output without releasing an update everytime a change to the graphics is done...

also the plugin system was developed so you can use the plugin within different emulators, who cares its more complicated, it means experimentation canget a game to be rendered 100% properly it is worth the effort, dont be lazy but hey if you are unhappy then play the game on a real n64...

i prefer the plugin system than stuck with a simple emu with no hope of getting a game to work unless the devs updating the emulator but hey you must like psxfin emulator, especially when you come across a game with glitches where if you use the right plugin with epsxe well it works 100%

and dont bother asking devs to do something about it, if a devs does want to he will in his own time, if you truly want something done about this, learn programming and start on such a project and see if emulating sound, core and video is such a simple task especially when existing hardware is so different and when direct x and opengl cant render everything properly easily

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's a big difference between N64 and PSX emulation even though they use plugins. epsxe for a majority of games runs fantastic for a majority of games with pretty much one set of plugins. N64 emulation needs multiple plugins for the games and it becomes very unfriendly to the user especially since there is very little support on HOW to use the emulators by even the developers themselves. For those of us who play around we get it but the beginner can get confused on switching around plugins and finding them aren't as simple.

And as developer help, I can give Byuu a LOT of credit with his SNES emulator as he's been the most OPEN about how and why he does certain things with his emulator. I have more seen STFUs and lack of response from N64 emulator developlers about anything really.

I certainly wouldn't mind playing my N64 on my TV but it looks terrible since I only have HDTVs. Currently Project 64 and 1964 are the only good emulators for Windows that we have and they are far from perfect. I'm no developer but I certainly would like to see more developers pushing to make N64 emulation as good as it could be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts