Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News Article

Well what do you guys make of this... :???:

I guess nintendo could raise an argument saying that majority of the market and its "target" audience doesnt have HDTV's. It will save them some money on R&D. But IMO they should support HD output.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
PsycoSephiroth said:
Support but definately not require one would hope.

Anyone understood him/her?

As for you xrockx, I don't know man.Nintendo's complaining about being behind and all and keep giving out fake promises (Gamecube with Online Support!) Well.. gamecube DID have the stuff but never supported it.Way to go nintendo, let's go back to the SNES Era while we're at it. :)

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Actually...We don't fault Nintendo for this. We are sure HD will be wonderful for the 10-20 percent of the maket share that have HD televisions, but it is pointless for the rest. It would also be far too costly at this point in time to invest in HD solely to reap the benefits of HD gameplay.
If demand did change...they could always throw in an adaptor...granted it would cost extra, but it would probably be better then the cost if they incorporated it initially.

Think about this...The Gamecube featured a port for digital output. How many gamers invested in the extra peripheral? Xbox also featured a kit for higher Res gameplay...How many invested in that?

Here is a good way to determine if Nintendo is making a mistake. Create a poll inquiring as to who has HD televisions. The results would fairly judge Nintendo's choice ;)

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
What's the point for games to support HDTV anyway? They doesn't have that much detail, at least not enough to justify using a HDTV :p

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
The most funny part is the PS3 having support for 2 HDTVs I mean first pay for a PS3 and when for an extra HDTV, please I'll be glad if I can afford the PS3 and I don't even have one HDTV... just how much money do they think normal people have?, on top of that more expensive games? looks like I'll be stuck with my old stuff for a couple of years :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
ChankastRules said:
The most funny part is the PS3 having support for 2 HDTVs I mean first pay for a PS3 and when for an extra HDTV, please I'll be glad if I can afford the PS3 and I don't even have one HDTV... just how much money do they think normal people have?, on top of that more expensive games? looks like I'll be stuck with my old stuff for a couple of years :D
I can't see how the ps3 will be affordable, does anyone know a price range yet?
Also, I agree with DW on this, but I think the lack of HDTV support should be reflected in the price. Hopefully $150 or less.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Actually, HDTV displays can be quite affordable, just use CRTs with VGA boxes which run for about ~$30.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
WindHydra said:
What's the point for games to support HDTV anyway? They doesn't have that much detail, at least not enough to justify using a HDTV :p
You must be joking. Next Gen Console games are going to run games at HD resolutions. Having an HDTV will definately get better quality video instead of scaling them down to SDTV resolutions. I don't know about you, but I've hooked up my computer to a HDTV and the games look a heck of a lot better than on my SDTV.

That being said, not many people have HD televisions now, but if these consoles are suppose to last atleast 3 years, HD support is a bit better. Of course I'm sure Nintendo will release a peripheral when they feel the time is right. But we've seen in the past that peripherals which are released after the initial console releases are rarely popular. We can always hook them up to a high resolution LCD or CRT display. ;)

Personally, HD support is a feature I'd like in the next gen consoles. I can always buy an HD TV later on. If I already have the capability in a console, it makes it a bit easier in the long run to be HD ready.

·
Registered
608 Posts
While we are on the subject, what is the average price of, say a 27", HDTV nowadays? Does it have to have a HDTV tuner or just being HDTV "ready" will be OK for games? I'm under the impression that the tuner is only needed if you wanna watch TV in HD. I think just recently I've seen that a 20 something inch HDTV either Phillips or Panasonic went for $400 something. Didnt they also discover new technique/material to produce displays with? I think it was diamond dust or something. With all the hype around HD stuff now, can we expect a huge increase in HD adaptation and therefore a decrease in price? Hm... say about $200-300 for a 25" next year at this time?

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
I think it could hurt them in the sense that games will look nicer on the PS3 and XBOX 360 played on HDTVs and the people who have HDTVs will want the support, but I guess Nintendo's banking on the idea that their games will sell systems, not the power, graphics, or sound. I think Nintendo better consider that such strategy won't work forever...
But I could be mistaken...I did buy a Gamecube before a Playstation 2. The 'Cube, however has a better processor and games look better on it than the PS2 and the XBOX didn't wow me with exclusive games I wanted like the 'Cube...History could repeat itself...But I'm not convinced...

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
You can only bank on your in house development teams for so long. With no HDTV support, they might be in for an even harder fight with the PS3 and Xbo360 than they had with the gamecube and PS2/Xbox. If more than anything, they won't have a marketing feature that both it's rivals will.

·
band
4,912 Posts
There could be a visual downside to the switch to high-definition, though, and this may work to Nintendo's benefit. HD games may be hampered by framerate problems, while SD titles rendered by more powerful hardware will probably run smoothly. "This is my single biggest worry," admits Eggebrecht. "Let's put it this way. At 640x480 [standard definition], we're at a point where we can do anything. Anything. Finally. But with high-definition, I think we're at about the same level of challenge when it comes to framerate as we are this generation. You can do a hell of a lot more polygons. You can do a hell of a lot more shaders. But the inherent fill-rate issues are still certainly there. Will it be a 30-frame time? Will it be a 60-frame time? It will be interesting to see."
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/624/624516p3.html

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
i don't even know why this is a big deal. who the **** cares if it support hd-tv other than the fact some graphics whore paid too much on their HD-TV and they expect everyone to support it just to justify his purchase.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Well in the U.S they're going to force HDTV being a standard *or you'll have to buy a $100+ adapter in order to watch TV by 2006...Which I think is stupid...

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
thats good to hear :). im just worried about moving beyond "current" games and onto next gen games with next gen effects and expectations (not counting hd since thats the thing in question). i have no doubt that these next gen consoles will power through current games at HD and AA/AF and all those things. but i certainly hope it'll still be that case if we're talking next gen games with next gen physics/gfx expectations. if thats the case, then whats the rationale behind not supporting hd resolutions ??? >_<

arg...its getting harder and harder to make myself not buy a ps3 on launch now....

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
fivefeet8 said:
You must be joking. Next Gen Console games are going to run games at HD resolutions. Having an HDTV will definately get better quality video instead of scaling them down to SDTV resolutions. I don't know about you, but I've hooked up my computer to a HDTV and the games look a heck of a lot better than on my SDTV.
Oops, I forgot it's about next gen consoles :heh:
The last console I had is Super Nintendo (with one game), so I don't know much about TV games :emb: And after looking at a TV closely today, I agree they have crappy resolution......

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Seeing the revolution not support hdtv doesn't bother me as the prices don't justify even getting an hdtv.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts