Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just uploaded no$gba v2.8. The new version is now having real non-experimental DSi emulation. And it's more or less working with DSi software. So far, it's tested with two DSi cartridges, and two DSiware programs:

System Flaw (cartridge): Works, but the camera emulation is showing only a dummy picture with snow (which is making the game unplayable, since it misuses the camera as gyro sensor).
Cooking Coach (cartridge): Hangs for whatever reason. It doesn't seem to be related to DSi I/O ports, so it might be some more basic problem, like some of the new/bigger memory regions not being properly emulated yet, or some memory not being initialized as how the DSi firmware would do it) (running the game in NDS mode works, the problem occurs only in DSi mode.
DSi Browser (DSiware): Boots, but complains about non-emulated WLAN access point.
Flipnote Studio (DSiware): Hangs for whatever reason, might be the same problem as with cooking coach. Would be great if anybody figures out what is causing the problems!

http://problemkaputt.de/gba.htm

DSi emulation requires a copy of the lower 32K-halves of the ARM7/ARM9 BIOSes (BIOSDSI7.ROM and BIOSDSI9.ROM). And don't forget to enable DSi emulation (default is still set to NDS mode, for better compatibility with games like Cooking Coach).

PS. Some advice on how to capture camera pictures under windows would be nice! I need something with good backwards compatibility (which would be probably directshow), and it should be something that can be implemented by plain source code (without code from external libraries).

02 Feb 2015 - version 2.8
- help: updated gbatek standalone version 2.8 (with fairly complete dsi specs)
- dsi: no$gba is now having (more or less) working non-experimental DSi support
- dsi/cartloader: auto-encrypts modcrypt area if needed (requires good sha1hmac)
- gba/snap: fixed skipping empty-nds-chunks in gba-snapshots (thanks shiny.exe)
- newmem: avoids borland tasm32/tlink32 linker-error on "arm_memxlat_non_tcm"
- dsi/help: added list of known regions/countries (only europe is known yet)
- dsi/help: better ndma description (logical/physical blocks, and repeat modes)
- wifi/help: added new DSi access points specs (wpa/wpa2, and proxy settings)
- wifi/help: added formerly unknown NDS access points specs (mtu, ssid length)
- dsi/help: added average microphone specs for ARM7 side (A/D side is unknown)
- dsi/emu: supports fake camera access (outputting some dummy snow picture)
- dma: added warning on unsupported dma/ndma types (wifi,sd/mmc,aes,mic,mainmem)
- debug: fixed $profiler_id indices for dma-channel/mode names
- dsi/emu: supports basic aes and sd/mmc init (32bit 44xxh, 16bit 48xxh/49xxh)
- dsi/emu: supports i2c access (8bit 450xh) and gpio access (16bit 4C0xh)
- dsi/emu: supports new touchscreen controller (different SPI protocol as NDS)
- dsi/help: added description for new touchscreen controller (position/status)
- dsi/help: added notes on touchscreen in nds mode (no pressure & temperature)
- dsi/help: identified the dsi cameras as Aptina MT9V113 image sensors
- dsi/help: added initialization/transfer flowcharts for cameras on ARM9 side
- dsi/help: added initialization flowchart for Aptina cameras on ARM7 side
- dsi/help: added initialization flowchart for Unknown cameras on ARM7 side
- dsi/help: added undocumented aptina regs, and aptina REV3 additions
- dsi/help: added general dsi notes (eg. dsi detection) and info on exploits
- dsi/help: added notes on basic differences to NDS mode (changed details)
- dsi/help: added info about (mostly unknown) eMMC encryption (via CID register)
- dsi/help: added behaviour of SPI powerman (with differences in DSi/NDS modes)
- gba/nds/dsi/help: added BIOS RAM info (initial RAM content and IRQ/SWI usage)
- nds/help: cart header[06Eh] Secure Area Delay, and ROMCTRL.Bit28 gap CLKs
- nds/help: info on rom chip id bit31 cart protocol variant (gap/repeat/delay)
- xboo: supports dumping carts with rom chip id bit31=1 (protocol differences)
- dsi/debug: added tty.log options for I2C commands and NDS cartridge commands
- dsi/debug: prevents warnings on bigger New WRAM areas (unlike 32K for NDS)
- dsi/debug/emu: allows bigger DSi7/DSi9 bios regions (bigger than NDS7/NDS9)
- dsi/emu: allows reading/writing more scfg registers (as far as used by games)
- dsi/emu: initializes more scfg regs on reset (with suspected/guessed values)
- dsi/i2c/help: added Aptina MT9V113 camera specs (i2c registers and variables)
- dsi/i2c/help: added many details on bptwl chip (led/volume/misc controller)
- dsi/help: described power-button modes (auto-reset, irq, forced-power-off)
- dsi/help: major corrections to I2C control reg, added I2C signals chapter
- dsi/help: added details like headphone-connect bit, game-cart-insert-bit
- dsi/cartloader: bugfixed cartloader odd modcrypt lengths (eg. cooking coach)
- dsi/help: added GPIO specs (data in/out/direction, irq edge/enable)
- dsi/help: removed dsi cart protocol, instead added cmd_3Dh notes in ds chapter
- dsi/help: hardware/software info on wiring the eMMC chip to PC card readers
- dsi/help: info on sd/mmc I/O (from TC6387XB datasheet, tmio_mmc, dsi dumps)
- dsi/help: added specs for sd/mmc protocols (commands, repsonses, registers)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks so much for this release nocash, very nice work with DSI enhanced features .

Hope you continue keep it up!, and maybe it could work upto 3ds someday too!, Now that Citra can nearly run Cave Story at good speed and Zelda OOT at slow speed, We may see some think that may come up with you're own work!, from ideas of there source codes .. just a though't .

Just to let you know, (EXiMiUS) (PROPER) are now release-ing New games with full DSI enhanced DATA dump's, included camera data .

I have Reported to avast to clear false positive, Then I can test it! :) .

EDIT: Emulation is no longer broken from no$gba 2.7d, Thanks nocash!.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Set the "NDS Mode/Colors" option to "DSi retail, 16MByte RAM". It's the upper-right optin in the "Emulation" setup tab.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heh found it during you were answering ;) I was using the gaming version. This option is just in the debug one.
So I tried some TWL roms and always have a "CPU - Bad operation" : Undefined Opcode. I can't put my hands on the DSi bios files so maybe they're needed at this point.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was using the gaming version. This option is just in the debug one.
Oops. Good point, thanks! I'll add the option in gaming version, too.

So I tried some TWL roms and always have a "CPU - Bad operation" : Undefined Opcode. I can't put my hands on the DSi bios files so maybe they're needed at this point.
Having the bios is better since my BIOS clone isn't reproducing all DSi functions. It's supporting most of them though.

Just tried. For the four tested DSi games (see above), it doesn't seem to matter if you have the DSi bios or not. Only requirement is that you need the old NDS bios in case that the NDS/DSi games are containing a blowfish encrypted secure area (you will see a warning message in that case).

None of that four games is causing a "CPU - Bad operation, Undefined Opcode" warning. Are you sure that you have dumped the complete cartridge including the DSi specific areas? Hitting undefined opcodes wouldn't be too surprising if the games are crashing for whatever reason. It's just something that didn't happen with that four games.

·
Registered
181 Posts
EDIT: Small bug report.

Using poppy light in GBA mood causes crash as images shown when saved and reset of no$gba 2.8 .

If you find any others let nocash know ?, delete and refresh you're .ini file .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just tried. For the four tested DSi games (see above), it doesn't seem to matter if you have the DSi bios or not. Only requirement is that you need the old NDS bios in case that the NDS/DSi games are containing a blowfish encrypted secure area (you will see a warning message in that case).
None of that four games is causing a "CPU - Bad operation, Undefined Opcode" warning. Are you sure that you have dumped the complete cartridge including the DSi specific areas? Hitting undefined opcodes wouldn't be too surprising if the games are crashing for whatever reason. It's just something that didn't happen with that four games.
My current config:
- win7 x64
- no$gba 2.8 debug version
- NDS mode set to "DSi retail"
- BIOSGBA.ROM, BIOSNDS7.ROM, BIOSNDS9.ROM are in the same folder as no$gba.exe
- game roms are in the same folder as no$gba.exe too
When I try to launch a rom I can confirm that "DSI9" is noted at the windows' bottom right corner.
I tried all the recent roms released by eximius last month. Their nfo said that DSi sections are present so it should be ok. Secure area is decrypted, but not the DSi parts.
In the best cases I got a white (or black) screen, with no image/sound. In the worst ones I got the message "CPU - Bad operation : Undefined Opcode"

But no problem at all with the NDS mode, all games are booting fine.
Am I the only one experiencing this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi am i the only one haveing problems downloading either the debug version or the gaming version?? they seem to download fine file sizes correct ect but i have errors extracting the archive or opening them ? ive tried multiple browsers to download also ?!?! :( p.s great update nocash ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kingraa777 try to pause your antivirus agents before downloading. Mine detected something and extract was not working neither. Stop them for some minutes and retry on various browsers. I used winrar then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's a little bug report on 12 dsiware games. The biggest problem besides white screens is corrupted saves when booted. Only Dragon Quest Wars would hold a save.
Code:
Asphalt_4-_Elite_Racing-Gameloft                    -- hard crash at boot 0x2380480 E8A00FF0
Bird_&_Beans-Nintendo                                -- white screens at boot
DRAGON_QUEST_WARS-SQUARE_ENIX                        -- runs fine
FIELDRUNNERS-Subatomic_Studios                      -- runs fine but save corruption at boot
Legends_of_Exidia-Gameloft                          -- runs fine but save corruption at boot 
Mario_vs._Donkey_Kong-Minis_March_Again!-Nintendo    -- white screens at boot
Petit_Computer-Gamebridge                            -- runs fine but save corruption at boot
PiCTOBiTS-Art_Style_Series-Nintendo                    -- white screens at boot
Shantae-_Risky's_Revenge-By_WayForward                -- runs fine but save corruption at boot
Soul_of_Darkness-Gameloft                            -- save corruption at boot and player character sprite flicker
SUDOKU-Electronic_Arts_Inc.                            -- white screens at boot
Zelda-_Four_Swords-Anniversary_Edition-Nintendo        -- runs with save corruption and massive playfield sprite flicker and interlacing
It should be noted these tests are without dsi bios support. Does anybody know how to dump these from ones own dsi? (or even 3ds maybe lol)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some good news from my side too. I finally managed to get it working. results after some tests :
- for DSiwares I got the same results as the compatibily list posted in the other thread. Lot of them can't boot and hand on a white screen. Few others can be played fine, sometimes with minor grafx issues. Corrupted save error is present with all of them.
- For dsi only titles I tested System Flaw. Got it running fine with the grey fog instead of camera capture, as announced.
- for ds titles with dsi features, the results are different depending of the title. Pokemon Black/white games are displaying a white screen directly when they boot but won't go further. And for games like SolatoRobo, Tron Evolution, Personnal Coach and all the recent Eximius titles I directly got "CPU - Bad operation, Undefined Opcode" warning.

Hope it helps a bit Nocash... keep on your hard work, results are already really impressive!

·
Emu author
270 Posts
Sweet! Glad to see this in active development again.

How is the sound on NDS games in this release? I tried Super Mario 64 DS on v2.7 and it was choppy.
Cheers

·
Registered
557 Posts
Playing GAUNTLET DS (USA or Europe) games and got this error...

Code:
invalid gx command 000000FF

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Using poppy light in GBA mood causes crash as images shown when saved and reset of no$gba 2.8 .
Thanks! Setting the GBA mode to "NDS in GBA mode" causes the emu to default to NDS mode (in cases when no cartridge is loaded). In case of the gaming versions crashing because I never expected to RUN the emulation in that state (in NDS mode without cartridge).

I've noticed a lot of the white screen at boot games are hanging on this instruction: 0xEE070F90 ;waitForInterrupt
Are you sure that it does hang? I mean, it's apparently supposed to wait at that point.
But yes, if all interrupt sources are disabled, then it might hang in that place.

How is the sound on NDS games in this release? I tried Super Mario 64 DS on v2.7 and it was choppy.
That old problem. I would assume that it is still there. I don't have that game. And for the 5-10 games that I do have: My PC is too slow to play continous sound in any NDS games. So to me, all NDS games are sounding totally distorted. Which is making it hard to test if the sound emu is flawless (I have mainly tested it by comparing the binary data from the capture unit, which should give 1:1 exact results, but I seem to have missed some small detail somewhere).

Does anybody know if that game is doing anything special with sound hardware? When having looked at a wav recording, it appeared as if there would be some overflow problems; cutting off the sign bits of the samples instead of saturating them to min/max values (?) fixing that kind of problems would be probably quite simple. I didn't find any saturation bugs in no$gba though (aside from the two "Capture Bugs" http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dssoundcapture
which should theoretically occur on real hardware, too, unless there are ways to avoid those glitches).

Playing GAUNTLET DS (USA or Europe) games and got this error...
Code:
invalid gx command 000000FF
Command FFh would be in fact invalid. Don't know if ignoring the command would solve the problem. If it was has crashed elsewhere then it won't help. Does the game continue running after the warning?
Hmmm, I should probably make that kind of warning optional, or at least throw it only once, not on each time when repeatedly hitting the same problem.

·
Registered
557 Posts
@nocash, after pressing OK, still have same command, can't continue either..... Just press again, and same error again at many times forever......

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Not to be ungrateful to to @nocash but, why hasn't Super Mario 64 DS's sound been fixed? The audio is pretty uh, heh, messed up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts