Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm having problem getting CDDA to work under my Fedora Core 3 installation (specifically with Ridge Racer at this point). I can play the tracks fine using a software CD player, and it's definitely using the analogue cable going from the DVD drive to the sound card, as opposed to digitally playing the tracks.

I have enabled the checkbox in the PeopsOSS plugin, and tried both playing from the original disc, and from a cue/bin file made from the disc. From what I've read, it would appear that the ePSXe internal CD plugin cannot play audio from ISOs. However, I don't have an option to choose a plugin under ePSXe. The only option I have is to specify the CD-ROM (/dev/dvd).

Also, the Ridge Racer disc plays with music under ePSXe for Windows on my other PC.

Can anyone give me some pointers on this? :thumb:

· Registered
654 Posts
You're in luck, I too own Ridge Racer. I'll try to reproduce and solve your problem on Knoppix when I work on the other Linux problem I'm looking at from these forums.

In the meantime - and I know it's a less-than-satisfactory solution as it disconnects the music from the action - you could play the game from an image and the music through your CD player.

Dan

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be glad to hear how you get on!

The main reason for me wanting to sort this little problem goes further than just Ridge Racer. I've built a MythTV Media Center, and want to add PlayStation support. Basically so that when my family visits, my nephews can bring their PS1 games with them and it'll keep them quiet.

And I can play on it too, of course... ;)

· Registered
654 Posts
I'm afraid that if you want CDDA sound for games that have it, you're going to have to either
  • Hook your PS1 or PS2 to your media center monitor, or to your PC using video-in on your video card, or
  • Run your PS1 emulation in Windows or Wine/WineX/etc
After many hours struggling with ePSXe and PCSX on Linux (granted, some of that was Linux setup), and some careful observation, I came to the conclusion that people who have claimed to get CDR plugins to work with ePSXe on Linux were mistaken.

They misinterpreted what they saw when they tried to use it. If you use Run ISO, then ePSXe's internal ISO-reading support runs. If you use Run CDROM, then ePSXe's internal CD-ROM-reading support runs, with whatever CDROM device you specified in the CDR config. In no case does ePSXe use CDR plugins dropped into the plugins folder. This is backed up by the following from the ePSXe Linux version documentation:
Includes the same features as the windows version, [highlight]less[/highlight]:

+ Internal sound plugin.
[highlight]+ Support for external cdrom plugins.[/highlight]
+ Support for joysticks, mouse, analog joysticks and force feed back.
+ Assember optimizations.
Unfortunately, switching to another emulator on Linux may not help. The only other ones I know of are PCSX, SOPE, and FPSE. Though PCSX does support CDR plugins, it appears to lack support for both CDDA and XA sound. So not only do you not hear the CD tracks, you don't hear the FMVs either. As for SOPE and FPSE, both were discontinued before either got to a usable state.

Sorry the news isn't better.

Dan

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the reply, Dan. At least from the information you've given me, I can stop wasting time trying to get it working.

The Media Center will eventually run through the TV in the living room. My PS2 is in my bedroom, and I don't want to be moving it. Luckily, if I remember correctly, it was mainly the early PS1 games that used CDDA, and later games tended to use XA. That leaves a lot of games that will work very well.

I guess the old rule of emulation will have to apply in my case... Be happy with what does work. If you want perfection, use the real hardware. ;)

Thanks again. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.