Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently got bored and decided it would be a good idea to download the evalution of windows server 2k3 ent. edition, for no real reason. After using it, I now realise its unimaginably more quicker than XP (mainly because its relativly 'lite' on crap-ware). I decided to install steam (and subseqently hl2 and css). I was kindly informed by steam I would need dx9 to play it, which I got. I also noticed that I was using windows default nvidia drivers (always a bad idea). I also got myself some forceware drivers as a result. after the 2 (very short) restarts needed to install these 2 utilities, I tried to launch hl2. I was very abruptly told
'unable to init shader system'
..odd. I popped open dxdiag, and in the video section, it told me that I had NO direct3d support. very odd indeed?
My question is, how do I fix this? was windows server 2k3 designed to intentionaly NOT play games? or is it just something that was left out of the installation, along with the rest of the crap-ware?
On a further note, I was able to install counter-strike, and I was able to play that.. all be it in software....
Thanks, to anyone that can shed some light on my problem... :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
You'll find that hardware acceleration isn't enabled.

Right click on the desktop > properties > settings > advanced > troubleshoot

Then do the obvious. Install your drivers first. Err.. You'll probably find the DirectX features are disabled as well, enable them within dxdiag once you've done the above. They are DirectDraw, AGP acceleration and Direct3D.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts