Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you can download games to the DSi, but they won't be Nintendo Wii (emulation) games. What a crock. What is the point of buying a DSi, if you can't play NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, Arcade games you purchased legally on the Wii.

Boy that kills most of the reason I might buy a DSi.

:dead: :mad: :angry: :pCmad: :hdbash: :rant:

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
GBA is far inferior and it can emulate some consoles and arcade systems full-speed, without frame-skipping and such.

I don't expect much from big N but they might eventually offer some GB/C/A titles for download or even maybe some NES stuff. Almost everything else would be chopped graphically wise due to the limited screen resolution.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
I'm pretty sure they that even if they get it working you'll have to buy them again.

That's not really unique anyway... games on different platforms are usually not interchangeable, it doesn't matter whether you use platform #1 to download to platform #2 (Maybe Sony makes an exception with the downloadable PS1 games but I don't know for sure).

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Boy that kills most of the reason I might buy a DSi.

:dead: :mad: :angry: :pCmad: :hdbash: :rant:
But... it has cameraz!! :p

And... and...

...it has cameraz!!

...and and... slightly bigger screen, which cuts 15% of the battery life! (roughly 2 - 3 hours on lower brightness, and up to 1 hour on highest brightness)

...and... and... and... a web browser that does "out of memory" 1 second slower than the DS Lite!

:innocent: Amen...

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
But... it has cameraz!! :p

And... and...

...it has cameraz!!

...and and... slightly bigger screen, which cuts 15% of the battery life! (roughly 2 - 3 hours on lower brightness, and up to 1 hour on highest brightness)

...and... and... and... a web browser that does "out of memory" 1 second slower than the DS Lite!

:innocent: Amen...
I had the opera browser on the original DS... now, kudos to opera for making it work at all, but really....
DS homebrew was nice, but that also really laid bare the limitations of the device... can't even multitask. Ok ok, it's supposed to be a portable brain training machine, not a pda (not a gaming device either anymore , apparantly - there's a reason I sold it).

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like my DS, but I'm saving to get a PSP...

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
it also has it's own music player D: and, um yeah! faster CPU too! and more ram >_> internal storage <_< SDHC slot >_>

but i can't play guitar hero :(
the PSP has all of those things (apart from guitar hero of course but it's getting rock band unplugged) so i see no reason why to buy a DSi when the DS we already have gathers dust from lack of usage.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I had the opera browser on the original DS... now, kudos to opera for making it work at all, but really....
DS homebrew was nice, but that also really laid bare the limitations of the device... can't even multitask. Ok ok, it's supposed to be a portable brain training machine, not a pda (not a gaming device either anymore , apparantly - there's a reason I sold it).
Yeah.. well, the DS had a lot of potentials. I mean... a lot. If it had more RAM, you could more than likely turn it into a full-fledge PDA, and probably port a lot more stuffs to it.

But the way things are, I guess the most you can do is draw on it... or play some piano.

I like my DS, but I'm saving to get a PSP...
That'll be the wisest choice you have ever made. Trust me... PSP is growing to be one heck of a machine. Also consider its enormous homebrew base and ease of homebrew enabling. But before you buy, make sure you research carefully so you won't have to cuss Sony later. :)

It's not a gaming handheld, but I have a smartphone, which I really do like a lot....
Awww... there are actually a lot of cool stuffs for smartphones! Midtown Madness 3 for Windows Mobile! D: I almost want to trade my netbook for a smartphone because of that...

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Up until now smart-phones are not capable of running intensive applications efficiently. So meh...
Well, as long as you can run something, it's fine, right?

Plus the ability to play game is quite nice. And since game developers are willing to, it's all the better. :) Did you know we have a Metal Gear Solid game and a Resident Evil game for the N-Gage platform?

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Yeah... N95 has 2 CPUs at about 330 MHz, quite powerful 3D acceleration and an FPU yet it hardly manages to achieve the speeds and graphics of a N64 or Playstation.

The operating system on all of the phones on the market adds quite some overhead. There is no way to take full advantage of the hardware features and the end result is about 10 times slower than it should.

Don't think about what you get but what you could get with these specs. Smart-phones are just not efficient with this kind of stuff. Not yet at least.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Yeah... N95 has 2 CPUs at about 330 MHz, quite powerful 3D acceleration and an FPU yet it hardly manages to achieve the speeds and graphics of a N64 or Playstation.
Well, there's actually a reason: they are ARM CPUs. And they're downclocked, too, otherwise the N95 would be a nuclear warhead in your palm.

On a side note, the CPUs on the DSi are downclocked as well. There's a trend with taking faster processors and downclocking them so operating voltage can be reduced, thus improving battery life.

The PSP is also downclocked from 333MHz to 222MHz and even then, it's only lasting about 4 hours on average. Battery life on N95 is very good for that kind of performance in my opinions.

They've come up with a single ARM CPU running at 600MHz by default, though... so I'm guessing we'll see some improvements soon.

But for the time being, I'm really content with having Solid Snake in my palm even if his face looks worse than in MGS1. :) But actually, it doesn't. Yay!

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Well, there's actually a reason: they are ARM CPUs. And they're downclocked, too, otherwise the N95 would be a nuclear warhead in your palm.
Wrong again.

DS and GP2X both use slower ARM CPUs yet they both perform better than the much faster N95. Doesn't that ring any bell? Don't be deceived by the clock speeds and the "under-clocked" CPUs. Current smart-phones are way more powerful than a Playstation yet they perform similarly. They were not designed for gaming purposes.

The PSP is also downclocked from 333MHz to 222MHz and even then, it's only lasting about 4 hours on average. Battery life on N95 is very good for that kind of performance in my opinions.
I'm quite sure that if you run an intensive application on both a PSP and a N95 with their batteries fully charged (an emulator for example) the first one to die will be the N95... Definitely.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.