Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
piracy is any gaming company's worst nightmare. now we all know or at least i do that in all of the developing part of the world all most all PS2 games are sold as THAT BAD WORD ***copy**** cough cough now as i was saying even the xbox has a good record of unoriginal games. but thank nintendo they made the GC in such a way that it checks the mini-DVD three times or so i heard to make sure that it is original. but now where i live this terrifying nightmare has finnaly come to nintendo and a small place where i live is now selling GC copy games euch for 8$ recent release new or old it does not matter all for 8$. well i dont know what to say about this. is it good news or bad news ? what you people think?

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Bad news of course. Anyone to buy those games should burn in hell :)

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
They say piracy killed the Dreamcast.
If what you say is true and Nintendo finds out there'll be hell to pay...

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well I don't think this would kill Nintendo. I'm sure it has been going on for years and years. Nintendo is pretty bad ass when it comes to killing piracy. I hope someone gives Nintendo a little tip as to what these guys are doing ;)

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
I wasn't trying to imply it'd 'kill' the Gamecube. Just making an observation about the fact it 'might' have done so with the Dreamcast. I'm on the fense about it 'killing' the Dreamcast...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is there even a means to playing these games? Hell I have FF:CC burned, but it's rar'ed and on two CD's. I could sell that but untill Dolphin gets better, it won't be worth anything more than a coster.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont know guys i mean look at the PS2 and xbox they are runing fine even though piracy has already consumed them! so i think the CG will live but it will be weakend. i am with you guys it is just not right! i hope nintendos does somthing about them damn pirates. i mean back in the good old days pirates use to be hanged for their sins!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Paratech said:
I wasn't trying to imply it'd 'kill' the Gamecube. Just making an observation about the fact it 'might' have done so with the Dreamcast. I'm on the fense about it 'killing' the Dreamcast...
The fact that DC games could be pirated without modding may not have helped things, but what really killed the DC was the hype around the PS2. When I ask anyone why they didn't buy a Dreamcast back before it died out, the number one response I recieved was because the PS2 would be coming out soon with better graphics. And all the other responses were the XBOX or GC would be coming out soon with better graphics.

Actually though, I've heard rumors that this was all part of Sega's plan. They never intended to beat the other next gen systems, they just desperately needed a way to make some money before moving on to become a full time software publisher. You see, Sega was in a pretty serious rut after the complete failure of the Saturn. Their finincial situation was so bad that if they didn't make some money fast, they would be bankrupt soon. The Dreamcast was their solution. They figured that if they delivered a console with power supirior to all the other consoles avalible at the time, and soon enough before the release of the other next gen consoles, they would stand a good chance of making back enough money to stabilize their situation. The Dreamcast was never designed to compete with the other next gen consoles and it was always Sega's plan to kill it off soon after the other consoles started hitting the market.

But, enough conspiracy theories. Back on topic, I've never really been convinced that piracy substantially hurts game sales. It's true there are some people who choose to get pirated copies despite having the means availible to purchase a game legally. However, the majority of piracy is because people simply do not have either the money to buy a full priced game, or have no place avalible to them that even sells non-pirated games. There are even people who will download a pirated game just to see if it's any good before buying it. The only problem is, if people started beliving piracy was ok, there really is a chance it would get widespread enough that it would hurt legitimate sales. That's why game companies have to continually fight it, despite knowing that at the moment it probobly isn't hurting them that much, if at all.

In the end, my opinion is that it is something that can neither be condemed nor condoned. But it is something we will have to learn to live with, because it isn't going away any time soon.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
I disagree piracy is extremly bad for game sales, I know many people that have this attitude "Why are you buying games, when they can be downloaded for free?", with this kind of morale ( I sure hope it's not the same in all countries though ) I'm certain it hurt sales a lot.

As for the DC, if it was only a scheme to make money, Sega sure did a great job because the DC oWns :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ChankastRules said:
I disagree piracy is extremly bad for game sales, I know many people that have this attitude "Why are you buying games, when they can be downloaded for free?", with this kind of morale ( I sure hope it's not the same in all countries though ) I'm certain it hurt sales a lot.

As for the DC, if it was only a scheme to make money, Sega sure did a great job because the DC oWns :)
well as i said this thing just started in one of the worlds worst developing countries. i mean these people have such a basic laws that you can steal a pc but you will never steal food. any why even though piracy in the PS2 and XBOX games where around for many years now they are still running fine doesnt that tell you anything! any way i heard that nintendo is working on a new consele lets hope it comes out soon so that these damn pirates eat their hate to death!

·
band
4,912 Posts
i think one of the best ways the industry has learned how to deal with thing is to make games online. a game with great online features that force-check piracy is by itself a great incentive to pay for the real thing. check out HL2 and other online pc games where a unique cd-key is a must. same with games on xbox and ps2 (tho on the ps2...hehehe)

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Well I'm against piracy, BUT!!! I don't like the way they're doing in PC area, Half-Life 2... I certainly hope they can come up with something better than that to stop piracy...

Because it really doesn't stop piracy it's just slowing them, but it makes playing the game a real pain in the a**...

·
Registered
965 Posts
The GC was cracked ages ago, piracy hasn't killed any consoles, the DC thrived for as long as it did due to piracy..

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I must say if all the next gen systems out now and for the years to come if they were made like the dreamcast which allowed such great piracy(playing backed up games with out having to mod the system) that these companies would make even more money,it sure helped the dc thrive before the ps2 hype killed it.But i must say why would anyone bother buying burned gc games because you won't be able to play them anyway,hell at my school people were getting tons of cash by selling burned copies of movies and games which i never saw any of them sell burned gc games.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
it's a pity. the dreamcast was the only good system Sega made IMHO

__Xzyx987X said:
The fact that DC games could be pirated without modding may not have helped things, but what really killed the DC was the hype around the PS2. When I ask anyone why they didn't buy a Dreamcast back before it died out, the number one response I recieved was because the PS2 would be coming out soon with better graphics. And all the other responses were the XBOX or GC would be coming out soon with better graphics.

Actually though, I've heard rumors that this was all part of Sega's plan. They never intended to beat the other next gen systems, they just desperately needed a way to make some money before moving on to become a full time software publisher. You see, Sega was in a pretty serious rut after the complete failure of the Saturn. Their finincial situation was so bad that if they didn't make some money fast, they would be bankrupt soon. The Dreamcast was their solution. They figured that if they delivered a console with power supirior to all the other consoles avalible at the time, and soon enough before the release of the other next gen consoles, they would stand a good chance of making back enough money to stabilize their situation. The Dreamcast was never designed to compete with the other next gen consoles and it was always Sega's plan to kill it off soon after the other consoles started hitting the market.

But, enough conspiracy theories. Back on topic, I've never really been convinced that piracy substantially hurts game sales. It's true there are some people who choose to get pirated copies despite having the means availible to purchase a game legally. However, the majority of piracy is because people simply do not have either the money to buy a full priced game, or have no place avalible to them that even sells non-pirated games. There are even people who will download a pirated game just to see if it's any good before buying it. The only problem is, if people started beliving piracy was ok, there really is a chance it would get widespread enough that it would hurt legitimate sales. That's why game companies have to continually fight it, despite knowing that at the moment it probobly isn't hurting them that much, if at all.

In the end, my opinion is that it is something that can neither be condemed nor condoned. But it is something we will have to learn to live with, because it isn't going away any time soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
making money out of piracy is not only a sin that these damn pirates will burn in hell for it is a serious crime that might put their butts in jail! so making money by piracy is just as bad as selling drugs!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
aliofdoom said:
making money out of piracy is not only a sin that these damn pirates will burn in hell for it is a serious crime that might put their butts in jail! so making money by piracy is just as bad as selling drugs!!
Actually, selling drugs is rather more serious. Chill out.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
aliofdoom said:
You tell 'em! I know I always feel sorry for multi-million dollar companies that release horrible games for $50 a pop. We should start a 'Large-Corp Piracy Relief Fund' so they can keep those garbage games coming! Like poking myself in the eye with a stick, I just can't get enough of them!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Seta-San said:
it's a pity. the dreamcast was the only good system Sega made IMHO
Huh? What about the Genesis? I always have prefered Sonic's games to Mario's and the Genesis had the best Sonic games ever made. And, if action games weren't your thing it's library of RPGs included classics such as the Phantasy Star Series (although I still like PS1 the best, and that was a Master System game), Shining Force, and Lunar.

aliofdoom said:
Wow, you seem to have bought the entertainment industries anti-piracy propaganda hook, line, and sinker. I agree people shouldn't make money off piracy, but the fact is that most piracy these days occurs over the internet with no money involved. When people release copyrighted works for free, meaning that neither they or the rightful owners get any money, then the issue becomes a little more hazy. I think that it's ok to download some things for free as long as you are still spending a reasonable proportion of your budget on buying some of the things you download. It only becomes wrong when you quit spending money on all those things just because you don't feel like supporting those who give so much effort to produce them.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts