Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and welcome to the Ngemu Image Excavation Site - That's NIES for short, which is Dutch for sneeze.

Ok, why this thread?
In the old days, when king Bobbi ruled the lands of NGEmu we all happily posted images and artworks in these forums.
Years after the king left, the crumbling remnants of a once great country were migrated from vBulletin to XenForo, a move that obliterated the magic attachment crystal... thus, all images were lost.

During a chat with fellow old man Kellicros on the thread for old geezers (http://ngemu.com/threads/veterans-what-remains-of-us-at-least-assemble.137560/) the images were mentioned once again and I thought it would be fun to see if we could restore some of them.

I myself only saved a handful of these images on my HDD (and most of them being my own), so any help would be welcome.

The idea is to put a bit of context around them, why , where and when they were posted, etc.

It's just to have fun, do not take it seriously, it can be random - I created this as a separate thread not to derail others (like the Perpetual Artworks thread).

The thread starter has to create an example
So that's what I'm going to do.
First, 2 group "photo's" from some of the old gang. One is from me, the other was made by Kellicros (then Evil Squall).

conceptbatards.jpg

From left to right (IIRC) Ryos, me, Xeven, Shiori, Betamax and Gk1986

Kellicros made a better picture and he was smart enough to write names ;)

crew3.jpg

At least Shiori was a constant factor XD

·
Premium Member
8,108 Posts
Great stuff Samor, Xeven and Shiori were always like the best buddies in these forums. I don't remember why Xeven isn't in my picture.

My old drawings give me cringes seriously, I haven't been drawing for sooo long. BTW, I was trying to figure out who each characters are, the names seem vague, and that box thing Bobbi has his foot on took me a while. xD

Can you upload them to a cloud drive or something and share it with me? Let's see how I can help. :)

At least Shiori was a constant factor XD
Male or female? :p

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Male or female? :p
female, of course! :)

Your drawing says 2003, Gk1986 had probably left at the time and I think Xeven visited much less frequent by then. Mine's probably older.

I have some old drawings you made but I (re)discovered your DeviantArt and I think most are already on there.
Also, reposting all my Paint Wars drawings here is just too much hassle.
I'll put some stuff on OneDrive later.

Want me to post here or rather p.m. ?

·
Premium Member
8,108 Posts
Seems like it, I don't remember Gk1986 at all but I remember Xeven very well because of the whole BATARD thing, and he(WAIT, IS XEVEN A HE OR A SHE?) went on to make his PSX emulator, it was very cool, I didn't know he can code!

It's been 13 years, I can't remember much on how or why the pic was made but I am glad I decided to put the year in it, I have a hard time browsing through my deviantart because I can't stand the cringe.

You can post here if you don't mind, or pm me if you need privacy.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think it's more fun to post things here, it's all stuff that was meant to be public.... even if some of my own stuff makes me cringe too ;)

So, time for more excavations
We've dug up more from the very early days of ngemu... webcomics that were (somewhat) related to this place.

Perhaps the most well-known one at the time was negativespot borequicky, or NSBQ for short, by JegHegy (nyaa!)
His site is mostly lost, but thanks to the wayback archive I was at least able to retrieve something. Remember the talking balls?
nsbq_0057.png

...and I think they just did again! Original site location used to be http://nsbq.whitetrashdesign.com. The comic's biggest fan was Nezzar.

Well, and then there was mine, called Under Construction.
There was one comic with an interesting story behind it; it was originally posted on here as well:
scom0020.gif

Rand Linden from bleem! read the comic and offered me a copy of bleemcast for Gran Turismo 2! I still cherish that disc. :)

Here's the full archive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshXPj6cds1J3Wf4Dw

Originally I'd planned a story where the 3 main characters would end up in an appartment complex and run a computer hardware store in the same building.
I never got that far ;)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Characters that became NGEmu regulars, sort of
Even though I never kept up that comic thing for long, two of its characters started to semi-regularly appear on NGEmu.
The first one to appear on here was Mary:
maryba2.PNG

Slightly different appearance from the comic, and now with a bag (containing tomatoes - that's an Ngemu in-joke based on one of Xeven's signatures)

Mary was to take on respected Ngemu idols such as Shiori and Hikari - naturally she failed bigtime... and her constantly failing at things sort of become another in-joke.
She even lost to this guy, an owl:

mouse_owl.gif

It's actually a pretty old owl. The oldest drawings I have are from 1995 :)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..and more...
some drawings from Love Hina.. I think the Ngemu member that has drawn these was hnayoung.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
naru.jpg

I was really impressed; also, Love Hina was one of the first animes I watched.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
and then this happened: http://ngemu.com/threads/looking-for-ngemu-mascot-offering-stuff.67398/

There was serious thought in getting an Ngemu mascot... and it turned out to be a battle royale between Mary and the owl:

edit_1.png

edit_2.png

edit_3.png

edit_4.png

I was selling out there! :oops:
In the end the owl won, but the whole thing never really materialized. ;)

the complete mascot wars:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshbWIAkgY3X0O1JdA

...and after the owl won I made a lot of placeholders
https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshcOyBOOz1KtewdAA

...and only one was ever used, an error page warning (not with the 404 text but something similar)
bonk_color.png

...maybe Mary should be glad she never won.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, Paint Wars! The magnum opus of poor artistry and whatnot.
this was the first one:
http://ngemu.com/threads/paint-wars-tm.41460/ ....makes no sense without images (by the way, still doesn't make sense when they are there).

...now excavation is going to be hard... while I have a lot of materials it's all very disorienting.
I discovered that halfway through I wrote a summary:

for the people who'd like to join in but only started reading now, and for the people who forgot what was going on, here's a quick storyguide :D

It all started with Samor declaring a war to eface. Samor cuts off eface's ponytail. Elly joins in the battle but Samor sends Mary to fight her instead. Hybrid and Kid A also join the fight. King Kong is also involved. After some fighting, an owl assists Mary by uhm, shitting Elly on the head. An enraged Elly captures and tortures Mary, but she is saved by Hybrid. Mary and Hybrid have some fun together. Somewhere in the process, the owl managed to get inside Mary's stomach (don't ask) making her think she's pregnant, but Mary gladly lets him out after the discovery. :heh: :eek:
Meanwhile, Evil Squall joins the fight and fights Elly, who gets a giant gear and strikes back.
Suddenly Eface does a real powerful attack and takes out the gear (and king kong), but falls on the ground unconscious afterwards. Everyone is surprised (except the owl).
Strider appears onto the scene and Samor makes contact with him. During the process Elly attacks but gets wounded because of Samor's counter-attack. This makes Elly change into the Kingstar form, and she/it attacks again. Razorblade also makes a first appearance.
Strider, Mary and Samor defeat Kingstar, allthough it was a little too sharp to simply play with it like a toy ......(silence).....
The (retransformed?) Elly heals Eface, and Samor, sensing the danger, immediately powers up.
In the meantime, Strider explains some things about the Owl's powers, LOTR-style.
Razorblade meanwhile fools around, and the owl plays along. RB gets killed in the process but that doesn't matter since he'll be back anyway..... ~_~
Eface meanwhile is finally back up and kills RB again (which doesn't matter)...RB and Samor try to fight him off but don't stand a chance, even though Samor has a cool rage outburst and acts like he's the man afterwards. Meanwhile, some evil d00d from the land of capcom sends an Army of Kingstars and unfortunately for Mary she accidentily runs into them and gets wounded...
Fortunately RB saves Mary from the Kingstars. He and Strider then leave but Elly returns and kills RB (which doesn't matter).
The owl shits on elly's head once again. ES also jumps in and does some cool move. Nightwolf also says hi.
Then Bulgor makes some blobs until his 5 year old daughter takes him home and Strider goes smoking pipeweed (he does that all the time)
Samor frees the owl (who was captured by Elly for obvious reasons) and captures Elly. Naturally Mary (and ES too!) wants to take some revenge as well and starts to torture Elly ...and tortures some more...and even more...till Eface saves Elly and runs off with her, hoping to get some good old-fashioned love in reward.
Also, Darkaurora says something stupid and because of that gets stabbed by strider. ;P
Kid A returns onto the scene and so does Hybrid, who has another moment with Mary....
Eface equally tries to have a date with Elly, but...Elly says no. >_<
Samor and ES investigate Kid A's reappearance , and ES and Elly fight for a bit. Samor also joins in the fun, as does Crazy Poet, who ultimately gets killed by Evil Squall, who's on a roll, but goes to bed after the action.
Meanwhile, Hybrid and the owl discovered a pirate ship on which Mary was being held hostage after being captured (how on earth that happened we dont know; some assume she just wanted Hybrid to save her).
Samor forgot what he was doing, but then proceeds to help Hybrid with the pirate ship.
Eface takes Elly on a date but gets dumped, and to make matters worse he gets teleported to the pirate ship as well. More ships appear, and they seem to be from the land of Capcom (same land as the kingstar army yeah). Suddenly it turns out that they're not pirates but its Strider, effectively making everyone confused as to determine what on earth they are fighting for. Also, Vivrantpig launches a terrible enemy called Oinkers but no-one reacts :(
Evil Squall is awake again and destroys Strider's ships. Another ship appears, with Elly on board (actually this probably was the original ship). She's set up a trap for ES, but he takes care of it, then accidentily kills and heals Mary. In the meanwhile I totally lost track of which pirate ship is which, but since there's only ONE left this must be THE pirate ship. .............
Strider takes revenge on ES but ES fights back, then Elly takes revenge on ES but ES fghts back, and ES seems to become very annoying because he knows a way out of every situation, but ultimately gets teleported to a land full of pokemons and barnies, meaning he's out for a little while because he's got to walk back, you know....
Then Samor discovers Mary and wants to save her. Suddenly, Eface reappears and saves Mary. Mary shows the owl to Eface and Eface reacts startled. Samor tries to use the confusion to kill Eface but Mary stops him by...killing him. (SHOCK!)
...a volcano errupts....
Mary explains to Eface that Samor was weak and she was hiding her powers to make it possible to investigate matters without being noticed too much. She also wanted to be saved by Hybrid, even though that wasn't nescesary at all (she just wanted to get it on again).
It turns out that Samor was actually an android (Super Android Mechanical Organs Robot) created by an unknown guy. It turns out that Mary was aware of this, but she didn't know its purpose, which is why she initially didnt kill it. the owl searches the android body for clues and finds out it's xbox powered, meaning there's no other behind it then Bill Gates! (SHOCK!)
...Meanwhile, Hybrid wants Mary to wear sexier clothes but she prefers not too...
Eface, now also knowing about Gates' evil plans, decides to pay the MS HQ a visit and easily defeats Bill Gates' personal ninja. A new prototype Samor android appears but again it is no match for Eface.
Meanwhile, Mary runs into Elly again but now having something in common (the owl **** them both on the head) they're going to play some darts together, using the owl as target. Fortunately for the owl they're not that good at it. After this match Mary asks Elly if she can help finding out more about the owl-eface connection.
Meanwhile, Bill Gates himself starts to attack Eface. Noticing Gates' enormous powers, Eface determines its better to retreat, but at least does so in a cool fashion.
Meanwhile, the owl sensed what happened and tells Mary and Elly what happened, after Elly "kindly" asked.
Then Strider explains the connection between the owl and eface. Together, they form a great danger, and thus should not be re-united. However, both the owl and Eface have amnesia so they don't remember, explaining why nothing happened when they met on the pirate ship. Also, it turns out that the ponytail that Samor cut off from eface at the very beginning had caused Eface and the owl to be separated (apparantly the amnesia happened before the ponytail cutting). The owl however, having forgotten its original purpose, has gotten pretty friendly (especially towards Mary). Mary can't get herself to try to kill the owl, but Elly gladly tries it, however it turns out the little bird has more powers than it knows itself and can't be easily killed. Mary decides the best thing to do is to guard the owl, making sure it doesnt fall into the wrong hands.
Also, Hanamichi is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!
Now Bill Gates has made another android, based on Eface (SHOCK) and wants to power it with the owl.
And then we get where we currently are, where Elly is viciously trying to get the owl killed....

why on earth did I just type that all out?!
oh yeah, to get you back in the "plot" ^^;
...and this was the immediate response:

*lol* like you wanna tell me you're not stoned *huh* ?
(thanks, Sir Key) I probably was.

Now, instead of going through all of them, I just zipped everything I have.... so here it is, all of Paint Wars as I have it.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2URH9aT-e6hshdNmtNFyOFY27Q2w

hosp3.PNG

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, who remembers Razor Blade?
He was pretty good at 3D rendering at the time:

genc.jpg
nesc.jpg

TheCloudOfSmoke was good at this as well:
PlayStation_Controller_by_TheCloudOfSmoke.gif

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MOAR EXCAVATIONS!11ELEVEN!
We had a forum member named Toriyama who was so excellent at drawing DBZ you'd think he was the real one (maybe he was?)
He had a girlfriend named Popuri (name from Harvest Moon, I think) who also became a member here. Both made some really cool artwork;
sadly I don't have Popuri's drawing of Toriyama's Star Ocean 3 addiction, but I have a few others... maybe they'll ring a bell.
liebe.jpg mietze.jpg poupuri%20Kopie.jpg

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time for some random images....

bar.jpg

2 beers please... ok!

bmary.jpg

totally not ngemu related... (hint: the t-shirt)

im@s.jpg

Kind of liked this one myself but it never really caught on... so I'm reposting it :oops:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts