Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
readying an anouncment thread/speech since overdue.

adding results first then texts. discuss in the other after-award thread. discussion from all necessary, at least feedback.

*short intro to discuss*

After some of the greatest delays the award committee has seen in its history, the Ngemu Awards 2008 have finally come to an end. In the name of the whole committee team I'd like to thank every and each one off the participants that made this awards events possible. Without any further introduction, let's get on with the announcements:

---
For most categories, the top 5 have been listed. For other categories with a long list of names, 8 have been listeed instead (being listed is not equivalent to have 'won'. by default, only the top 3 have won. the full listing in the results announcent is just honorific)

A support community of any kind is built up upon the efforts os two groups. The people who ask the questions, and the people who answer them. Even though the askers tend to be more amusing and entertaining than the asked, the later deserve some merit and recognition. So here they are, this year's winners of the most helpful member of the year award.

MOST HELPFUL:
23- Squall-Leonhart
21-
jonc2006
21- Hard core Rikki
17- SCHUMI-4-EVA
13- cottonvibes
9- miretank
9- pcxl
9- aruantec

Newbies, the people who lighten up our day my reminding us of our own old times when we were new and made fun of ourselves. In recognition for their normally thankless labor of making day of the rest of the member base, we want to recognize their efforts by offering them this award and the promise that in 3-4 years time other people will come and we will make fun of them instead.

edit: The rest of the committee tells me that we shouldn't make fun of newb's. So let's redo that.:

Newbies, the very reason for the continuous existence of our forum. Newbies, the refreshing morning dew, the new wind that blows over any community to give it a new life, and to ensure the continuation of our boards mission. Just as we have done in our time, we entrust our boards ideals to you.

NEWCOMERS:
26- Phil
18- snickothemule
14- V1ncent
13- redlof
13- gamefreak

The company lawyers tell us that we will be downsizing and cutting some jobs position here at Emuforums. Moderation will be replaced by a spam control bot whose personality is programmed to match that of yours truly. So as my bot representative I promise to rid Ngemu of all the evil that plagues it, included bot not limited to, the bin, the binners, the boards that are directly above and below the bin, merge it with the pcsx2 forum and toss it into an alternate, 4chan like board.

----

Fortunately for the rest of the people such an scenario is not bound to happen at least in the next 24 hours, and we have real people who work hard, sweat over their keyboards and stomach all of our whining, all for the sake of maintaining a community as good and charismatic as ours. So here they are, the people who stand at the top in the staff of the year award.

STAFF:
24- jonc2006
23-
MT
19- Hard core Rikki
14- kirby
12- shadowlady
11- prafull
10- elly
10- plot
8- chrono
7- refraction

As gamers we are always looking for something new to play but unfortunately not everything out there is worth our hard-earned money. Thankfully however people exist who bit the bullet first and can now tell us about their experiences. We value their reviews greatly and honour them with the Game Reviewer of the Year award.

Thanks guys for preventing us from making those dud purchases and helping us pick out the golden games among all the shovelware that abounds. We look forward to your guidance against next year.

The winners are as follows:

REVIEWERS:
16- snickothemule
11- emwearz

6- bigig

Once upon a time yours truly imagined that he had some skill for art and that he wanted to be an artist when he grew up. 5 min later I had to realize that kidding oneself just doesn't work in the long run. I blame it on my left handedness. In any case I couldn't think of a better introduction to the artist of the year award without resorting to cheesy lines so here we are! The artist of the year award, in recognition to those people who can draw better than me. In first place, he have fadingz with a comfortable margin of win at 25 votes. Followed by viperxtreme and TCOS, let's give a round of applauses to these people.

ARTIST:
25- Fadingz Link
17- ViperXtreme

8- TheCloudOfSmoke

Speaking of avatars, the fact that now everyone's avatar is bigger will force us to think for a diferent prize for the winners. Aw well.

In first place we have bobrocks with a very close victory at 14 votes. Congratulations for getting first place man :D Next in second place, it's boom la yada, boom la yada, props to thanakil for getting second place in the avatar of the year award. In third place, we have our personal 100% genuine, limited edition shadowlady.

14- bobrocks95 Link
13- Thanakil

10- Shadow Lady
6- thecloudofsmoke

In recognition to the people that unlike truly yours actually keep their desktop nice and tidy, and actually go an extra mile to make it look great, here we are, the Desktop of the Year awards. For all of us with no sense of originality to steal their ideas and use them ourselves :evil:

*ehem*, anyway, here they are. In first place, our veteran that should be banned from participating next year since he just keeps winning and winning and winning :)p) our friend Miretank, closely followed by fadinz in second place, and cheesus in third. Let's give a round of applauses to these gentlemen.

DESKTOP
14- MT Link
12-
Fadingz
9- Cheesus

I still remember the times when 90% of the members population had their comp specs in their sig and nothing else. While in a sense it was interesting how most of the rest of the world had more money than you, it is better for my aesthetic sense (and for whatever is left from my ego) the way it is now. With people actively making efforts towards making little rectangles that are pleasant to the eye. Yay

In first place we have our friend Vincent with 19 votes, followed closely by the 2nd and 3rd places, that is tcos, ermwarz and fadingz. It seems that tcos broke his 3rd place streak, so at his request we can deduct some point from him.

SIGS:
19- V1ncent Link
16-
TheCloudOfSmoke
13- emwearz
13- Fadingz
12- kaizen

And well, you can't read emuforums without emu (well actually you can, and when someone mentions forums here everyone knows what you are referring about, but for the sake of the argument let's suppose you can't), and here they are, the emulators we all once used before getting trapped in the General Discussion area. But anyway, despite every and each one of the projects covered in this website are worthy of our recognition, here are those who were recognized by the community as the most interesting for this year:

EMU PROJECTS:
39- dolphin
27- pcsx2-playground
16- pcsx2

15- @ES
11- jcpsp

Despite the best efforts of 'NgEmu united against the bin', 'Union of all what is Open Discussion' and similar groups we couldn't stop the bin from getting 25 votes, and thus the 1st place. For this we deeply apologize to you. On a happier note, Open Discussion got the second place with 19 votes, so please gentleman, let's give a round of applauses to this board, Open Discussion, who we all love and care for *cues for applauses and ovations. Kirby can do the Kirby dance here.* ON an unprecedented note, an emulation board managed to get the 3rd place. Could you believe that? In any case, pcsx2 got the 3rd place. The people there must not know we have an Open Discussion section or something.

FORUM SECTIONS:
25- bin
19- open discussion
13- pcsx2

13- dolphin
8- hardware

We are nearing the end of the awards announcement, and now we arrive to the threads of the year. It's nice to see that despite the changing memberbase, classic threads such as the member photo ones are still strong and steady. It is really a look into the past thread when one takes the time to see into the history pages of this thread, and it is only a peek into the present when one checks the newest pots.

It is also obvious to me that times never change in terms of bullying the n00bs, for here were are, with a thread reminiscent of cloudsbro's " I want my ngemu registration money back", let's now laugh together with S.T.A.R.S and the thread that we have grown to love so much.

On the third place we have the anime thread. *Insert some otaku styled giggles here*

THREADS:
15- People of NGemu post your photos of yourselves!!
10- UAC Internet Explorer version 1.0 first look...

8- Anime
7- Know of anyone who as a child took adhd meds for over 3 years? How have they grownup?
7- support has arrived
7- emulation is NOT piracy

And finally, we arrive at the last award of the series. Something akin to actor of the year if you ask me. So hcr seem to like being the favorite of favorite, for he is repeating his feat of being Ngemu's member of the year! Go on like this and you may be able to surpass Kane's in number of awards first places :)

Followed by jonc, who also makes a return to the podium, and squall who is just barely behind the forerunners. Let's give an applause to this people who actively make an effort to make of Ngemu a better place at the cost of completely screwing up their social lives. *applauses here*

MEMBERS:
16- Hard core Rikki
14-
jonc2006
13- Squall-Leonhart
12- shadovv
12- tcos
10- cottonvibes

And so, by now I'm tremendously tired from writing this post so I'll leave the conclusion and closing speech to the first admin that post in this thread. Yay procrastination.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
I've updated some of them, but I've been going through a cycle of *being worked to death in the lab* *arrive to my house and prepare my dissertation* *sleep like a log* and repeat lately so I may be a little (a lot) slow. So any help would be appreciated :p

·
7,168 Posts
Added some announcements, but I'm about to drop dead.

I'm only missing reviewers sigs and members. I will do the members ones, and maybe the sigs one but I've got no idea of what to do with the reviewers one given that I've never been in that section, so please someone cover for me in that one.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
My stab at the reviewer msg:

As gamers we are always looking for something new to play but unfortunately not everything out there is worth our hard-earned money. Thankfully however people exist who bit the bullet first and can now tell us about their experiences. We value their reviews greatly and honour them with the Game Reviewer of the Year award.

Thanks guys for preventing us from making those dud purchases and helping us pick out the golden games among all the shovelware that abounds. We look forward to your guidance against next year.

Feel free to do whatever you like with it, edit/spellcheck it and fix it or steal bits for your own msg, or just plain throw it out, I don't really care, I just felt bad at making you guys do all the work and figured I might give it a shot to perhaps ease the burden a little.

Edit, in my opinion newcomers of the year is just plain wrong, it makes it sound like we are making fun of them whereas it's entirely the opposite, we are thankfull for those that distinguish themselves from the sea of n00bs as valuable members.

Either the results for avtar of the year are wrong, or the msg that goes with it as the results show bobrocks winning but the msg is all about Thanakil.

It would also perhaps be nice to still receive full access to this section so I can do a small bit of spellchecking as it's sorta hard to point out where the typos are in such a long post.

Other than that everything looks great though.

·
7,168 Posts
Edit, in my opinion newcomers of the year is just plain wrong, it makes it sound like we are making fun of them whereas it's entirely the opposite, we are thankfull for those that distinguish themselves from the sea of n00bs as valuable members.
Nay, we are making fun of them, and we are thanking them for being human targets.

Sarcasm++

I could add a 'now, seriously thank you very much for being so huggable and nice' after though.

Either the results for avtar of the year are wrong, or the msg that goes with it as the results show bobrocks winning but the msg is all about Thanakil.
Rats, I knew that my pick winning was too good to be truth. My mistake, I'll correct that.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
There should be more spacing between categories in my opinion, so like 2 or 3 lines rather than 1

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For the following categories, i suggest winners of 'red stars' are respectively:
- most helpful: 5 topmost
- newcomers: the 5 listed
- sigs: all 5 listed

The ordering of categos could use an edit also.

For 'rewards':
- A couple months ago, I was thinking of winners keeping the recognition permanent (once redstarred, forever so). Regardless of if redtarred or not, nothing prevents people from participation every year after all, and the time limit is somewhat not placed (removing what has been not just earned, but very deserved).

- And cleaning the account (logs now exist, so there is no need for people to have blades over their necks for a decade despite being excellent ones). It has been an unwriten rule (actually mentioned internally) in the past that not breaking rules for a year or so is worth lenience and forgiveness. Without elaborating for too long, and since some might prefer keeping the blades, expiring or reverting 1 (or 2) infractions.
Member votes do mean something.

- maybe something additional?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
[
readying an anouncment thread/speech since overdue.

adding results first then texts. discuss in the other after-award thread. discussion from all necessary, at least feedback.

*short intro to discuss*

After some of the greatest delays the award committee has seen in its history, the Ngemu Awards 2008 have finally come to an end. In the name of the whole committee team I'd like to thank every and each one off the participants that made this awards events possible. Without any further introduction, let's get on with the announcements:

---
For most categories, the top 5 have been listed. For other categories with a long list of names, 8 have been listeed instead (being listed is not equivalent to having 'won'. by default, only the top 3 have won. the full listing in the results announcent is just honorific)

A support community of any kind is built upon the efforts of two groups. The people who ask the questions, and the people who answer them. Even though the askers tend to be more amusing and entertaining than the asked, the latter deserve some merit and recognition. So here they are, this year's winners of the most helpful member of the year award.

MOST HELPFUL:
23- Squall-Leonhart
21-
jonc2006
21- Hard core Rikki
17- SCHUMI-4-EVA
13- cottonvibes
9- miretank
9- pcxl
9- aruantec

Newbies, the people who lighten up our day by reminding us of our own old times when we were new and made fun of ourselves. In recognition of their normally thankless labour of making the day of the rest of the member base, we want to recognize their efforts by offering them this award and the promise that in 3-4 years time other people will come and we will make fun of them instead.

edit: The rest of the committee tells me that we shouldn't make fun of newb's. So let's redo that.:

Newbies, the very reason for the continuous existence of our forum. Newbies, the refreshing morning dew, the new wind that blows over any community to give it a new life, and to ensure the continuation of our board's mission. Just as we have done in our time, we entrust our board's ideals to you.

NEWCOMERS:
26- Phil
18- snickothemule
14- V1ncent
13- redlof
13- gamefreak

The company lawyers tell us that we will be downsizing and cutting some job positions here at Emuforums. Moderation will be replaced by a spam control bot whose personality is programmed to match that of yours truly. So as my bot representative I promise to rid Ngemu of all the evil that plagues it, included bot not limited to, the bin, the binners, the boards that are directly above and below the bin, merge it with the pcsx2 forum and toss it into an alternate, 4chan like board.

----

Fortunately for the rest of the people such a scenario is not bound to happen at least in the next 24 hours, and we have real people who work hard, sweat over their keyboards and stomach all of our whining, all for the sake of maintaining a community as good and charismatic as ours. So here they are, the people who stand at the top in the staff of the year award.

STAFF:
24- jonc2006
23-
MT
19- Hard core Rikki
14- kirby
12- shadowlady
11- prafull
10- elly
10- plot
8- chrono
7- refraction

REVIEWERS:
16- snickothemule
11- emwearz

6- bigig

Once upon a time yours truly imagined that he had some skill for art and that he wanted to be an artist when he grew up. 5 min later I had to realize that kidding oneself just doesn't work in the long run. I blame it on my left handedness. In any case I couldn't think of a better introduction to the artist of the year award without resorting to cheesy lines so here we are! The artist of the year award, in recognition of those people who can draw better than me. In first place, he have fadingz with a comfortable win at 25 votes. Followed by viperxtreme and TCOS, let's give a round of applause to these people.

ARTIST:
25- Fadingz Link
17- ViperXtreme

8- TheCloudOfSmoke

Speaking of avatars, the fact that now everyone's avatar is bigger will force us to think of a diferent prize for the winners. Aw well.

In first place we have bobrocks with a very close victory at 14 votes. Congratulations for getting first place man :D Next in second place, it's boom la yada, boom la yada, props to thanakil for getting second place in the avatar of the year award. In third place, we have our personal 100% genuine, limited edition shadowlady.

14- bobrocks95 Link
13- Thanakil

10- Shadow Lady
6- thecloudofsmoke

In recognition of the people that unlike truly yours actually keep their desktop nice and tidy, and actually go the extra mile to make it look great, here we are, the Desktop of the Year awards. For all of us with no sense of originality to steal their ideas and use them ourselves :evil:

*ehem*, anyway, here they are. In first place, our veteran that should be banned from participating next year since he just keeps winning and winning and winning :)p) our friend Miretank, closely followed by fadinz in second place, and cheesus in third. Let's give a round of applause to these gentlemen.

DESKTOP
14- MT Link
12-
Fadingz
9- Cheesus

I still remember the times when 90% of the members had their comp specs in their sig and nothing else. While in a sense it was interesting how most of the rest of the world had more money than you, it is better for my aesthetic sense (and for whatever is left of my ego) the way it is now. With people actively making efforts towards making little rectangles that are pleasant to the eye. Yay

In first place we have our friend Vincent with 19 votes, followed closely by the 2nd and 3rd places, that is tcos, ermwarz and fadingz. It seems that tcos broke his 3rd place streak, so at his request we can deduct a point from him.

SIGS:
19- V1ncent Link
16-
TheCloudOfSmoke
13- emwearz
13- Fadingz
12- kaizen

And well, you can't read emuforums without emu (well actually you can, and when someone mentions forums here everyone knows what you are referring to, but for the sake of the argument let's suppose you can't), and here they are, the emulators we all once used before getting trapped in the General Discussion area. But anyway, despite each and every one of the projects covered on this website are worthy of our recognition, here are those who were recognized by the community as the most interesting for this year:

EMU PROJECTS:
39- dolphin
27- pcsx2-playground
16- pcsx2

15- @ES
11- jcpsp

Despite the best efforts of 'NgEmu united against the bin', 'Union of all what is Open Discussion' and similar groups we couldn't stop the bin from getting 25 votes, and thus the 1st place. For this we deeply apologize to you. On a happier note, Open Discussion got the second place with 19 votes, so please gentleman, let's give a round of applause to this board, Open Discussion, which we all love and care for *cues for applauses and ovations. Kirby can do the Kirby dance here.* ON an unprecedented note, an emulation board managed to get the 3rd place. Could you believe that? In any case, pcsx2 got the 3rd place. The people there must not know we have an Open Discussion section or something.

FORUM SECTIONS:
25- bin
19- open discussion
13- pcsx2

13- dolphin
8- hardware

We are nearing the end of the awards announcement, and now we arrive at the threads of the year. It's nice to see that despite the changing memberbase, classic threads such as the member photo ones are still going strong and steady. It is really a look into the past thread when one takes the time to see into the history pages of this thread, and it is only a peek into the present when one checks the newest pots.

It is also obvious to me that times never change in terms of bullying the n00bs, for here were are, with a thread reminiscent of cloudsbro's " I want my ngemu registration money back", let's now laugh together with S.T.A.R.S and the thread that we have grown to love so much.

In third place we have the anime thread. *Insert some otaku styled giggles here*

THREADS:
15- People of NGemu post your photos of yourselves!!
10- UAC Internet Explorer version 1.0 first look...

8- Anime
7- Know of anyone who as a child took adhd meds for over 3 years? How have they grownup?
7- support has arrived
7- emulation is NOT piracy

And finally, we arrive at the last award of the series. Something akin to actor of the year if you ask me. So hcr seems to like being the favorite of favorites, for he is repeating his feat of being Ngemu's member of the year! Go on like this and you may be able to surpass Kane in number of awards first places :)

Followed by jonc, who also makes a return to the podium, and squall who is just barely behind the forerunners. Let's give an applause to these people who actively make an effort to make of Ngemu a better place at the cost of completely screwing up their social lives. *applause here*

MEMBERS:
16- Hard core Rikki
14-
jonc2006
13- Squall-Leonhart
12- shadovv
12- tcos
10- cottonvibes

And so, by now I'm tremendously tired from writing this post so I'll leave the conclusion and closing speech to the first admin that post in this thread. Yay procrastination.
Proto's engrish typos fixed up a little :p

I seriously suggest everyone proofreads their bits again though incase I messed up this time around...also I am unlikely to see typos in my own little bit.

For the following categories, i suggest winners of 'red stars' are respectively:
- most helpful: 5 topmost
- newcomers: the 5 listed
- sigs: all 5 listed

The ordering of categos could use an edit also.

For 'rewards':
- A couple months ago, I was thinking of winners keeping the recognition permanent (once redstarred, forever so). Regardless of if redtarred or not, nothing prevents people from participation every year after all, and the time limit is somewhat not placed (removing what has been not just earned, but very deserved).

- And cleaning the account (logs now exist, so there is no need for people to have blades over their necks for a decade despite being excellent ones). It has been an unwriten rule (actually mentioned internally) in the past that not breaking rules for a year or so is worth lenience and forgiveness. Without elaborating for too long, and since some might prefer keeping the blades, expiring or reverting 1 (or 2) infractions.
Member votes do mean something.

- maybe something additional?
Agreed with everything you said.
Although what about Top 3 Artists? Top 3 Desktops ? Top 3 Reviewers? Top 3 Avatars?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
what text edits? certainly not the fixes I made :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts