Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post here any question/commentary/complaint you may have about the awards :)

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
everything seems in order....but the "nutters" poll doesnt have what they are nutters for :/

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Overall well done, however there were a couple of topics that needed to be done a little better. IRC'er and News poster.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
hushypushy said:
everything seems in order....but the "nutters" poll doesnt have what they are nutters for :/
WHAT YOU SAY?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
/me smacks Proto for nominating one of the most unpopular members as Member of the Year. :/

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I'm not able to see Razor's sigs in the gallery thread, maybe I'm not the only one?

I think the galleries are a great idea and definatly should be kept for next year. We needed more nominations for the IRC'er of the year. For news poster: Why don't you normal members nominate more newsposters ;)

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... well since some of the contestants are way too generic in their nutter behavior it would have been unfair to bind them to just one cathegory :p

/me smacks Proto for nominating one of the most unpopular members as Member of the Year. :/
Hmmm... blame videogames :heh:

I'm not able to see Razor's sigs in the gallery thread, maybe I'm not the only one?
hmm... whoops... I think I figured out what it is >< The affected contestants please expect a pm soon.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
wow... there's so many awards! i can't count them all!

edit: and taking another look, half of them are from last year, so that'd be why. :D

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Maybe we should give mikeshoup a temp ban during next year's awards? -_-

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
This poll stinks. :p

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Exodus said:
wow... there's so many awards! i can't count them all!

edit: and taking another look, half of them are from last year, so that'd be why. :D
two words man: cutoff date :p

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Maybe we should give mikeshoup a temp ban during next year's awards? -_-
What for? He's had a stick up his ass for as long as I can remember. :p Don't feed the trolls and they'll go away.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
hushypushy said:
two words man: cutoff date :p
it's deceiving! they should be locked! :p

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
The only bad thing about these awards:

They showed that there are only 40 active members on our forums. We need to improve more and make it more like 400 next year.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Prafull said:
The only bad thing about these awards:

They showed that there are only 40 active members on our forums. We need to improve more and make it more like 400 next year.
Uhm... how?

I know it's a relatively small core who's posting 90% of the messages, but how can you make new members participate more? :)

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Uhm... how?

I know it's a relatively small core who's posting 90% of the messages, but how can you make new members participate more? :)
I think we need more interesting threads having more interesting discussions. I feel most of the newbies have no feelings for the site. They just visit coz they want to get X or Y game working. If we want to win their hearts :2love: and make them a part of the family we need to encourage them more. (And this doesnt mean not banning N00bies :evil: ).

Another possible reason for not attracting new members is the fact that almost all questions related to emulation have already been posted and answered. Thats not a problem (its a good thing instead) but when people can find their answers using search feature why would they post about it ?

Another idea is Pick them young i.e. if we notice a new member is posting quality material in a particular forum we can offer him some responsibility (like making him a mod for a week or so).

No Newbie of the year award ? that sums up why new members never participate in discussions. oO

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yeah kinda stupid of me to forget the newbie of the year awards >_< And why didn't someone else of the comittee thought of it? :p

Although I don't think new members would participate for getting an award, we should have included it to show some respect to the new members who are most likely to stick around.

I like your ideas on this Prafull, but I don't think making a new person a mod would help, there's just too much responsibility coming with it especially for a respected site as ngemu. If this person is posting a lot of topics in a particular forum he will get known and respected by the regulars anyway. The best thing to do IMHO is to accept everyone for who they are, and to give them a warm welcome, which is already happening most of the time :)
Making someone a mod for some time is a risc you would only take if someone is already trusted. And trust is gained by quality posts. Someone who doesn't want to stay for a longer period doens't care for anything but his own questions to be answered. Making him a mod won't change his mind I think.

Don't get me wrong, I like fresh ideas, but I have the nasty habit of pointing at the negative sides.

Something else that would make some people stay longer is to not give the "we've done this already" comment when someone has just made a new thread about a certain game or something. Yes it might get annoying whenever a new thread about your fav Final Fantasy pops up again, but remember it's for fun and that person wasn't amongst us earlier so he does not know about our opinions. I've been at some other forums, I think it was RPGdreamers, where each and every thread got replies such as those. I haven't been at that place for years.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Yeah kinda stupid of me to forget the newbie of the year awards >_< And why didn't someone else of the comittee thought of it? :p
I asked for it in ideas thread. ;)

Making someone a mod for some time is a risc you would only take if someone is already trusted. And trust is gained by quality posts. Someone who doesn't want to stay for a longer period doens't care for anything but his own questions to be answered. Making him a mod won't change his mind I think.
I meant those new members who have proved themselves and not total new ones.

Don't get me wrong, I like fresh ideas, but I have the nasty habit of pointing at the negative sides.
Thats fine, We should always consider the negative sides first. ;) They are as important as Benefits.

Something else that would make some people stay longer is to not give the "we've done this already" comment when someone has just made a new thread about a certain game or something.
Can be done but not too sure about it. It will need everyone's approval fiirst. Can be tried in forum or two first. :)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
i dont really think there is anything we can do to attract new members...i mean people stay or they dont. a lot of people come here for the emulation news, and that's it----they really don't care about the community or awards or anything.

i speak for myself in saying that i do love the community. but i have never successfully invited anyone to it. one of my friends was banned from here, and another posts every once in a while. no one else has even bothered to go past signing up. and i'll never be able to change that. you cant force someone to like things.

i understand where you're coming from, and trust me i tried to invite people i knew....and it didnt work. good luck trying to do the same thing to people you dont know

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.