Votes: 1 16.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just wanted to see what others thought about this issue.

I really want to get one of the next-gen consoles and Christmas is an ideal time to spoil myself, however at the moment I am limited to only the Playstation 2.

Now, I for one get really annoyed some times when places like Australia and Europe don't get the consoles (amoung other things) until last, for some reason.

I am quite determined to get _A_ console for Christmas, but when the bean counters at Microsoft and Nintendo decided that they'll release their new consoles in March of next year (!! yeah I know !!), and the more I looked at the PS2, I decided now that I'll be getting a PS2.

It's beyond me as to why they wish to skip our entire Christmas season with their new consoles. Either way, to Microsoft and Nintendo: thanks but no thanks. I want a new console now and if you are not going to supply it to us Australians before Christmas, then it'll be the PS2 for me.

What do you guys think? Is it shitty that places like Australia go last? Do you recon that consoles should be worldwide launches?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Agree with you totally.In fact situation here in India is even worse.We dont get new games,new consoles and good softwares right on time.
You guys wont believe but playstation one was officialy released in India only about an year ago.:( (though I was playing it for long ;) )

S

·
0 Posts
that's kinda late!

But europe isnt exactly first in line either.
IMO those two new consoles top it though...we have to wait almost half a year for them....

S

·
0 Posts
I think that it is grossly unfair that Europe, Asia, and Australia lag behind so far. Prafull, you said that the PSOne was released in India only a year ago? Do you mean the new portable PSOne or the actual PSX (the gray box)? If it is the PSOne, then that is not so bad, as the PSOne is just over a year old. But if you mean the original PS, then that is ridiculous. The Play Station has been out f since 1995 and India is just getting it "offically" 5 years later. Boy, talk about delays.
I do think the reason that the USA gets these things frist is because there is such a huge buyers market in the US. Companies, like Sony, ship stuff here to the US to see how it will sell. Then they release it to other countries. We are sort of a "test" market for them. That still does not make it fair to other countries though.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I don't mind the delayed region releases because it gives me a chance to see what's happening in the initial market (usually Japan) before I spend a lot of money on a potentially expensive doorstop. However, it's kind of silly that companies would want to make other countries wait a long time (particularly in Asia and Europe) for a system many others have had a long time.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
You know what ?Few months ago I visited the biggest sony store in my town.It had all latest televisions and electronics stuff.There I asked the manager"What are the current costs of playstation and can I get some game cds here?"
You know what he replied ? He said "Whats a playstation?" :(

Now thats absolutely ridiculous. :confused:

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
> He said "Whats a playstation?"

That is definitely ridiculous. You'd think Sony would have filtered a few more PSXs in there by now. It's not like it's a new system.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Sadly, Sony, Nintendo and Ms go where the see the money as being. And Europe is not where it's at for them.
Incidentally, Everyone does know by now that Microsoft isn't releasing X-Box in Hong Kong right?. Something about it being the pirate capital of the world and they don't want the system pirated.

S

·
0 Posts
I feel sorry for you and the rest of India, Prafull, if that is how it is over there. I mean, not even knowing what a 6 year old console game system is and your store carries the companies other products? As Ryos said,
"That is definately ridiculous." And this from a store manager of all people.
Depence, not releasing the X-Box in Hong Kong isn't going to save Microsoft from piracy. Over at VG-Network there is mention that Game Cube games are already being pirated and I've heard that PS2 games are too, so how much longer before X-Box games are? Better think again MS.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the point was that they are not officially going to release the console there to reduce the piracy of it's console in what's dubbed the piracy capital of the world.

Sure some will import the console and pirate games, but still, there's a large proportion of people who wont be bothered to import it just to pirate it when the GameCube is available and easily pirateable.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Gamecube won't be so easy after the next batch....Nintendo is reportadly already working on blocking the current warez.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah so they say. How many times did Sony have a go at trying to prevent the PS1 piracy? Hell, is there even a single revision of the hardware that can prevent piracy totally?

Remember, if there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
yea but in Nintendo's case, it's a lot easier to stop. I mean the disk's are small, they spin backwards and are read outside to inside. That topped off with there own File system nakes them impossible to burn (Direct copy) and if they block the direct access through ports I can't see pirates easily (or cheaply) getting around it.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Knew I should have locked this thread earlier. Whether this is true or not, it does not belong on these forums.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sorry Ryos, but I just wanted to make this statement.

The whole 'GC piracy' thing is based off ONE line, from an anonymous Slashdot poster. No explanation, no proof, no nothing.

Yet, as usual, everyone eats it up, and it amazes me.

Discussion about this nonsense will not be tolerated here, at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.