Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Okay, some thought our previous thread on this topic was 99% about GameCube warez for some reason. I don't see how, but anyway, lets get back to the main issue being discussed here..

Thing is it's coming closer to Christmas and in Australia we only really have one choice for a new console.. The Playstation 2. It's sorta reminisant of the days of the Playstation 1. I know there was the N64, but that was more of a kiddie market, rather than the mature gamer.

Now I'm looking at what's available now, and all I have is the Dreamcast or the Playstation 2. I guess I could wait, but I've worked my arse off this year at University and I want a new console. I really dislike Sony (see www.bleem.com) but they're the only ones with a console available now.

I recon it's really dumb of MS and Nintendo to skip our Christmas season. What do you recon?

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Dreamcast, because it's dirt-cheap, and DC emulation has a long way to go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah but in Australia it's still $200 at the cheapest, and that's with no game. That's around $100 US for just the console.

When you considor that the PS2 can be found for $399 AU, it makes the DC all the more less attractive.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The thread started turning toward that kind of talk, and as a pre-emptive measure, and admin closed it.

There's nothing wrong with that, and there's no reason even to comment on it publically. If you have a problem with it, contact the admin/mod that closed it, via private message.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did and was refused to have the thread re-opened.

Regardless, our primary dicussion was the timed releases of consoles across the world, and not warez. Someone commented on the ability to play copied games was not cheaply plausable, and I posted a link to Slashdot which said that it was simply being reported as possible.

The thread was in no way discussing methods of playing copied games or hacking consoles, nor was it providing links to sites, documents, or individuals who make playing copied games or the successful modification of consoles possible.

Somebody in the admin department clearly jumped the gun here.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
On the contrary. While your thread obviously was never meant to stray into that territory, the thread itself got stuck there and never left that point. After seven posts along those lines (half of the thread at that time), I decided enough was enough. We have a no tolerance policy, which means, oddly enough, no tolerance.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Five posts in that thread were discussing piracy in 'any way, shape, or form', and the discussion looked to be turning towards that, IMHO.

It was a pre-emptive measure as I see it, hence why you might see the admin in question as jumping the gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fine, if it DOES become that, then close the thread. I am not one to disagree with preventing the free passage of illegal activities such as pirating console software for example, on a public forum.

The point still remains, the thread did NOT become that. It was purely a discussion that it may or may not be possible to copy games, with a link to, as I believe one of you pointed out, an anonymous article purely reporting that someone/group in Asia have done it.

If you have a 'no tollerence' rule then apply that to the distribution of information about how to copy and hack console games and hardware, not on a discussion about it which was merely people's opinions.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
The more a rumour is talked about, the more it seems to be the truth.

If it's true, i'll be one of the first persons to see it work; and ill tell you guys whether it's just a rumour or the startling truth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just private message me about it. Your thread will be either locked or modified so it doesn't report it anymore.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Originally posted by flipcode
Just private message me about it. Your thread will be either locked or modified so it doesn't report it anymore.
Have you actually read the rules, or do you just like being the devil's advocate?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, but I know if he posts something he learns of about the GameCube piracy, even though it's only a report, I think someone will edit his thread and close it.

Hopefully his sending me a private message is not against the rules, or is it?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Since you seem to have an extreme aversion to reading the rules, let me point out some brief passages contained therein. "Any posts discussing illegal material will not be tolerated . . . The issue is completely up to the discretion of any Administrator / Moderator of the boards and cannot be argued." Also: "The following rules apply to the message board and its associated features (pm, profiles, etc)." So yes, the rules do apply to private messages.

·
(>^_^)> *KIRBY*
2,612 Posts
Originally posted by Ryos
Since you seem to have an extreme aversion to reading the rules, let me point out some brief passages contained therein. "Any posts discussing illegal material will not be tolerated . . . The issue is completely up to the discretion of any Administrator / Moderator of the boards and cannot be argued." Also: "The following rules apply to the message board and its associated features (pm, profiles, etc)." So yes, the rules do apply to private messages.
if forums can have ftps to free dreamcast and ps2 games without getting shut down i dunt think discussing about piracy will be a prob... u guys to scared :eyes:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by vivrantpig
if forums can have ftps to free dreamcast and ps2 games without getting shut down i dunt think discussing about piracy will be a prob... u guys to scared :eyes:
its one thing to be shut down, while its another to keep "clean."
if you know of so many of these types of boards, i guess you wouldnt mind if you couldnt visit this one anymore eh? anyhow, it was determined a long time ago what we can and cannot discuss. the legitimacy of material on these boards reflects the quality of the site and we want to keep a good rep.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think only the non-moderators actually get what we're saying.

Here, in plain English:

1. I for one think the rules are too strict on some issues.
2. We were not engaging in piracy, nor helping others to do so. We were purely, again, purely, and one more for those who don't get it, purely talking about the fact that it was or was not possible.

I agree, you guys are too paranoid and scared.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by flipcode
I think only the non-moderators actually get what we're saying.

Here, in plain English:

1. I for one think the rules are too strict on some issues.
2. We were not engaging in piracy, nor helping others to do so. We were purely, again, purely, and one more for those who don't get it, purely talking about the fact that it was or was not possible.

I agree, you guys are too paranoid and scared.
ask me if i care. better yet, dont because i prolly wouldnt care to answer. the rules have worked thus far and since i wrote em for the most part, i dont think they are gonna change anytime soon. if you have a problem with them, you are free to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The funny thing is, you do care. You did bother to answer.

Get off your high horse and accept that not everyone will agree with you.

It's simply my opinion that some of the rules are too strict.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i care if someone insults me. i dont care if someone thinks the rules are too strict. did i say that everyone agrees with me? was the "rules" sticky a democratic effort?
if you wish you disrespect admins, or any other members of the boards, then you're asking for trouble. an admins discretion is final. if you do not respect that then you dont need to be here. being a member of these boards is a privaledge, not a right. and as such, members have agreed that what we say goes. if you continue questioning our actions, you WILL leave.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.