Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say this because I don't think anyone was talking about it
But on a tech quicky video I saw that when windows reads/writes data, it assumes it's talking to a HDD when in reality it's talking to a SSD,and SSDs dont have the same file format as HDDs so the SSD has a chip that changes the format of the file from the HDD one to the SSD one and that causes latency and I think slows down the SSD so it has less mb/s
So if the PS5/ XSX software is programmed to have the SSD file format normally then it would either speed up the SSDs or make them cheaper

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,450 Posts
That isn't quite correct.

It depends on the interface that the ssd is connected to. SATA requires a specific communications standard. NVME is a standard developed specifically for SSDs. NVME speed limitations come from PCIe speeds and limitations in the drive's read/write speeds. Since the PS5 isn't a PC, it doesn't need to abide by these standards and can have a custom interface that maximizes speeds. The downside is that standard SSDs probably can't be used if you want a bigger drive later on.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,810 Posts
I personally won't believe much in the SSD hype surrounding next-gen consoles as we may be disappointed at the end. I do believe that is gonna reduce loading times by a huge margin but I think people are reading too much into the hype and believe that is gonna be a huge thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts