Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say this because I don't think anyone was talking about it
But on a tech quicky video I saw that when windows reads/writes data, it assumes it's talking to a HDD when in reality it's talking to a SSD,and SSDs dont have the same file format as HDDs so the SSD has a chip that changes the format of the file from the HDD one to the SSD one and that causes latency and I think slows down the SSD so it has less mb/s
So if the PS5/ XSX software is programmed to have the SSD file format normally then it would either speed up the SSDs or make them cheaper

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,500 Posts
That isn't quite correct.

It depends on the interface that the ssd is connected to. SATA requires a specific communications standard. NVME is a standard developed specifically for SSDs. NVME speed limitations come from PCIe speeds and limitations in the drive's read/write speeds. Since the PS5 isn't a PC, it doesn't need to abide by these standards and can have a custom interface that maximizes speeds. The downside is that standard SSDs probably can't be used if you want a bigger drive later on.

·
341 Posts
The specific "problems" of NTFS in Flash or SSD memory and similar, have zero relation with consoles, not even with those of Microsoft. You can avoid some of these problems in new installations of Windows 10, using ReFS.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,118 Posts
I personally won't believe much in the SSD hype surrounding next-gen consoles as we may be disappointed at the end. I do believe that is gonna reduce loading times by a huge margin but I think people are reading too much into the hype and believe that is gonna be a huge thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts