Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so... I had an idea that maybe we can toss around. However i lack the technological skill to actually make it work and maybe the people reading this forum might have some ideas as well.

recently i looked up the specs for a PS2
I'll post the link here:

PlayStation 2: PlayStation 2 System Specs at Ps2Fantasy.com

After reading these i got to thinking. Many computers nowadays meet these requirements with flying colors. And so i thought (granted my knowledge as far as programming is shamefully minuscule) why do these emulators not run that great on a computer that exceeds the necessary requirements for a PS2?

take for example my computer:

2ghz processor
1gb memory
256mb video memory
(I am pretty sure these are the three main players as far as emulation goes.)

And my computer lags like crazy when playing on a ps2 emulator even though my specs say that it should not.

So then i thought some more. Maybe it's the operating system itself that is devouring resources from the PC. So that being the theory: Is it possible to transfer the programming in a Playstation 2 to run on a PC?

What i am saying is: is it possible to be able to turn on your computer and immediately see what you would see turning on a ps2? and then put in a ps2 disk and play like you would on a Playstation?

this might be a little far fetched but i think it's fun to ponder. It's plausibility is credible.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Search the forums. im not going to waste my time going over this subject again.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
is it possible to be able to turn on your computer and immediately see what you would see turning on a ps2? and then put in a ps2 disk and play like you would on a Playstation?
Short answer: never going to happen with any emulator, not now, not in the future. A gaming center application might be what you were thinking about, but thats not instant-on (see GameEX and HyperSpin, for example).

any computers nowadays meet these requirements with flying colors. And so i thought (granted my knowledge as far as programming is shamefully minuscule) why do these emulators not run that great on a computer that exceeds the necessary requirements for a PS2?
Meeting the requirements couldve maybe been said true to an extent if if was native running of code. However, its not. Add the overhead of emulating the different components, and keeping those in sync, then you have an idea why multicore paralelization is important. Irrealizable solutions dont come from magician hats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

ok i guess it was a little more far fetched then i thought...

I am glad you got some laughs out of my question lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Search the forums. im not going to waste my time going over this subject again.

Ya know, I see a lot of posts like this on forums lately and it makes me say to myself," That post wasn't helpful and it came off as rude. Why even post at all?"

IDK, maybe I've been spending too much time over at OCn (If you know what that means then you know where I'm coming from)

See, helpful :)
Short answer: never going to happen with any emulator, not now, not in the future. A gaming center application might be what you were thinking about, but thats not instant-on (see GameEX and HyperSpin, for example).

Meeting the requirements couldve maybe been said true to an extent if if was native running of code. However, its not. Add the overhead of emulating the different components, and keeping those in sync, then you have an idea why multicore paralelization is important. Irrealizable solutions dont come from magician hats.
Helpful again ;)

If I could rep you guys i would :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts