Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an athlon 700 with a TNT2 Ultra. If I upgrade to a GeForce 2MX will that make a difference in the Gfx card buffer option in Pete's OpenGL plugin? Is is a vid card thing or a software thing?

Currently epsxe is pretty close to allowing me to throw away my old PS-One (an old dream that is almost true, thanx epsxe team), but it slows down too much with that mode on.

Thanks for any reply.

S

·
0 Posts
Unfortunately, I think it has to do w/the plugin itself. I have a GEForce 2 GTS and it sows down some for me as well, but not to much.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Captain N.
I currently have an athlon 700 with a TNT2 Ultra. If I upgrade to a GeForce 2MX will that make a difference in the Gfx card buffer option in Pete's OpenGL plugin? Is is a vid card thing or a software thing?

Currently epsxe is pretty close to allowing me to throw away my old PS-One (an old dream that is almost true, thanx epsxe team), but it slows down too much with that mode on.

Thanks for any reply.
I don't think it will. I assume the Gfx card buffer speed is dependent on the speed of the memory. The GeForce 2 MX uses SDR memory at 175 Mhz (or somewhere around there), which is about the same speed as the TNT2 Ultra. The rendering speed should be much improved but the memory speed shouldn't.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Originally posted by sxamiga
Unfortunately, I think it has to do w/the plugin itself. I have a GEForce 2 GTS and it sows down some for me as well, but not to much.
sincerely,
sx/amiga
Sxamiga, i m VERY :love: intersted by the speed of this swirl effect (for example in ff9) w/o the FSAA on ur Geforce 2GTS, cuz' i m going to change my old *cough* geforce256.

Could u say it to me plz?
I d really appreciate it
thx a lot

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rargh, on my system:

Athlon 1.2Ghz
256mb Ram
GeForce II GTS Pro 64Mb (Hercules) 12.90 Dets
WinXP
Using Pete's OGL @ 1280x1024x32, w/o FSAA

I get 60fps constant on the FF9 Swirl :)

I hardly turn FSAA on, because when I was playing FF9, it strugled in the menus with it on at that res!
Reason I play at that res is because WinXP seems to have a bug in its changing of the desktop setting (which Pete uses on his OGL) so it doesn't size down to say 800x600! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Ben,does the swirl run at fullspeed with 4xFSAA turned on?Cause I have exactly the same video card as you and I'll get an Athlon 1.33GHz in a few days,so I just wondered how it ran on your system which will be quite similar to mine.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thx a lot ben...

However raziel (i m guessing), I doubt that the swirl effect will turn at 60 fps w/ FSAA 4x...
(And again i m just guessing)

Sawasdee

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I have a voodoo 5 5500, tbird gig, and the swirl effects run at 60fps all the time in FF7, FF8, and FF9.... Of course I use lewpys glide pluggin.....so that probably makes a difference....plus I run it off the cd rom drives too. I play at 640x480, with 4xFSAA on..... Makes both 2d and 3d look great.... Much less pixellated 2d backgrounds, clean looking 3d, 60 fps.... FSAA is sweet!!

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Well,actually Rargh,the GeForce2 Pro has much better FSAA performances than the GTS because of the additionnal 32 MB of Ram and becaus ram is faster too(GTS's Ram=333 MHz/GTS Pro's Ram=400 MHz).
And of course much much better performance than your GeForce256:) which only provides FSAA via software,when the GeForce2 provides Hardware FSAA.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I would say that the memory isn t the same too (like the mx400 for example which is awfully sad: 64bits sdr w/ 4.5 ns of latency)

The geforce 2 mx is the "lite" version of the GTS one...
( 2 pipelines instead of 4 for example...)

and yes of course the clock isn t the same....

sawasdee

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by Raziel
Ben,does the swirl run at fullspeed with 4xFSAA turned on?Cause I have exactly the same video card as you and I'll get an Athlon 1.33GHz in a few days,so I just wondered how it ran on your system which will be quite similar to mine.
Nah! it drops to about 45fps @ 1280x1024, however 800x600 it gets 60fps (well 59.9 as Pete's GPU always shows now for NTSC)

D3D seems to suffer quite a bit with XP and the 12.90 Dets, that drops to 30fps at 800x600! long live OGL! :D

as mentioned the only bit that mainly suffers with FSAA on is the menus! that drops to about 40fps once again @ 1280x1024, 800x600 is fine once again!

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Thx for your reply Ben;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts