Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I may soon purchase a socket 478 mobo to be used with a 2.8 Northwood. I've seen that those mobos have this black square thing around the CPU; what is its function? From playing with a broken socket 423 board, it seems the CPU fan is clamped down by a mechanism with attached onto that black square. My question, are 478 fans also installed that way, or is it more like the way socket A CPU cooler work, the heatsink has a bar that you bend around and lock onto the protruding points on either side of the CPU socket? Can I just buy something like this http://svc.com/di4-7h51c-19.html? Thank you.

·
band
5,270 Posts
478 cpu's heatsink securing method shud be the same as 423 cpu. its function is to provide an easier and safer way of securing a cpu heatsink. the one ur looking at seems like a 423 fit only. may i suggest this one : http://svc.com/xp-90-21.html

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Nope, different retention mechanism. Same idea, which is to take stress off of the socket and onto an external clamp.

Socket 423 is more similar to Athlon 64, it has actual two similar to socket clips that clip to the side of the mechanism, which is bolted to the board.

Socket 478 has four small squares built to the mechanism, for two clips, held by four large pushpins to the board.

Same idea, but not the same thing.. here's a shot of mine (bad) but you can see the difference. That heatsink you mentioned only supports Socket 423.

·
band
5,270 Posts
sorry, i stand corrected. :emb: my post was based on my impression of working on my friend's 423 a long time ago so i prolly got mixed up with the general idea behind it. >__<

*ahem* and how big is that back fan there cooliscool :innocent:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation, now I have a rough idea. I guess what I really wanted to ask is that if there's such cases where a cooler designated to be socket 478 end up not able to fit.

I didn't catch that cooler I linked to was 423, it was placed under 478. This one should be right then: http://svc.com/ci4-8kd3a-0l.html. D.D., thanks for the recommendation, I know of that cooler. Alas, I'm too poor to get anything like that. In fact, my budget for the mobo is $20-30, which the cooler alone would cost more. Anyone got a spare socket 478 mobo? :)

·
band
5,270 Posts
I guess what I really wanted to ask is that if there's such cases where a cooler designated to be socket 478 end up not able to fit.
if u fear the chance of your case not being able to fit a cooler (ie the one i pointed out since it is rather large), go with a normal oriented and sized one that has a fan 80mmx80mm. those are usually guaranteed to fit. i thnk the one u pointed out shud fit in just about any case out there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D by "cases" I was refering to uh, you know, "an instance of something" (had to check dictionary), not "computer cases".

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Most, if not all socket 478 coolers should work with the retention clips. I've used alternate socket 478 HSF before and they all work the same way. I think it's safe to say that you will never encounter a socket 478 HSF that's not built for the retention clips as there's hardly any way to secure it down otherwise.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, that's good to hear. Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.