Next Generation Emulation banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Then you would have shitty coders ruining the reputation of your project with buggy ports and third party russians stealing your code for crappy paid apps.
How would an unofficial buggy port "ruin" the reputation of the project?
If it was a github fork then it would say so on the repo's page.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,885 Posts
How would an unofficial buggy port "ruin" the reputation of the project?
If it was a github fork then it would say so on the repo's page.
Accurately informed users are in the tiny minority of people using software.
If the offshoot gains more popularity than the official source then it will be what people associate the software history with first.

Do you know the difference between apache openoffice, sun openoffice, libreoffice and staroffice?
Which came first? Which branch has the most competent updates? Which branch has the most updates and which branch is thought to be the best but isn't?
You wouldn't get a better example, they're all good in their own ways but each eats into the userbase of the others and clutters the situation.

Now If some medium skilled team fires 20 buggy updates a month vs noor doing 2 great updates a year, then his will be the software viewed as inferior as the normies just look at version numbers and not the code.

From a stallmanesque view everything would benefit the informed user if the 4 freedoms were mandatory.
From an amateur developers view, you're devaluing your work at risk and many amdevs are guys who have a 9-5 job working for the joy and recognition on their portfolio.
Communism is always good on paper but in real life you're hurting others to reduce the benefits of the talented so stop being so entitled

TL;DR:
If a team is good enough to make an offshoot, they're fucking good enough to make their own project from scratch.

·
Registered
90 Posts
God, I really hope he's still okay. It's been months since the last update, nearly an entire year if I'm not mistaken. Really sad to see such a promising emu just die

·
EmuAddict-_-;;
2,828 Posts
Please not announce anything and make empty promises in the future. Better release and then announce it rather than announce and then nothing.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
Guys i can understand your disappointment and is really hard to see a promising emulator not getting updates or released at all but you have to remember that we coders are just normal people just like any of you. We don't have super powers, unlimited time or are inmune to real life problems. He probably ran into some serious real life problems hence why he hasn't posted an update.

For instance many may not remember but many years ago before Dolphin was made open source i was the one that should've taken over the future of the emulator. At that time i ran into a serious real life problem that came out of nowhere and changed my life forever and made go through some bitter time in my life. I'm happy the emulator landed in other people's hand at the end but even if this emu never did at least is great to hear that some people still work in alternative emulators that could potentially see the light one day or probably never.

That being said we all should be glad that he came here and at least let us know about what he was doing because he didn't had to... to begin with ;)

·
Aim 4 the stars...
569 Posts
What @Kaizen said: "If a team is good enough to make an offshoot, they're fucking good enough to make their own project from scratch."

I kid you not. That's a freakin great saying right there. I love it.

Also, I never knew about this emu. I recall seeing the name "roor" many years ago. I must say.... Whether this "makes it big" or not, I seriously appreciate how roor decided to start something fresh himself. Crazy part is... He's actually done everything alone so far.

He coded it. He gets to say whether or not he wants to go open source or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sadly, lots of ignorant and immature whiners on this thread. Sometimes people have other priorities and it can take years to get back to posting on this HOBBY project. Yes, this is common. Nobody is entitled to anything, you want an emulator faster just go write it yourself, harassing the author, making demands and acting like stupid kids isn't going to help.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
*removed*
That's quite the wrong way to make a first post.
Having me coming back from the past just for you is quite the feat.
You're such a wrong human being.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts