Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was fast, here are the new pics :)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, if some special *chips* are made compatible with it before the end of the year, I'll probably get one :) (my PS2 is 100% dead :p)

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Beautiful, Sony keeps amazing people of again and again.
Damn my Old ps2 is still as new. I've only completed one game on it since one year and that was FFX:p

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Very nice, my PS2 the first very buggy generation, is just now starting to go out after a good 4 years of dedicated service :D. Still plays dvd's perfect, just games (which of course is the main use :p) is starting to get slower loads and every now and then, but still very rare, I get the dreaded disc read error. So I might just trade mine in at gamestop and get the newer one.

·
Link to the Underworld
1,148 Posts
Raziel said:
Yeah, if some special *chips* are made compatible with it before the end of the year, I'll probably get one :) (my PS2 is 100% dead :p)
just be warned, there likely wont be network or hard drive support

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
l3illyl3ob said:
just be warned, there likely wont be network or hard drive support
Well, I don't care about the hard drive, and, I guess you didn't read the article cause the ethernet adapter will be integrated.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Indeed...but they will remove more then just the power supply. They need to strip something in order to make it cheaper and smaller (Kind of like with the PSOne). Hmm...memcard ports check, 2 USB ports check, Ethernet built in per the report...hmm
AHA! Perhaps they will resort to the PCMCIA port found in the Japanese models. Then they can use the external HDD (See pics below). Heck..the USB's are 2.0..they can always use those for an external HDD too..The only thing we can think of that could be cut are the S400 i-Link (Firewire) port....erm...wait...they got rid of that with the 2003 models :heh:
Guess the Optical Digital sound port will be next to go

Kind of cool...

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the main reasons for the shrink in size are the external PSU and a reduction of the chips' sizes, remember, the PS2 was made in 1999, at that time, the fabrication process was around 0.25µ, right ? Now we're getting at 90nm, chances are that that new PS2 at least uses 0.13µ. I remember the difference in size between the orginal SNES and the redesigned one they released, the hardware part was MUCH smaller, much like the PSX/PSOne.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well, the new design is nice, DW you maybe right that they will probrably resort to using an external HDD. Based on my understanding the V0's and most of the PS2's in Japan uses that type of connection so this new slim design is a bonus for them. For us it will be more of a pain since Sony has made have an add on NIC and HDD, and then now they move to this method. If they did the same technique as they did in Japan (having the PCMCIA) then the transition to this new style would have not affected North America as much. As I always say, anywhere besides Japan always get screwed one way or another.

Oh well until my PS2 dies I will be keeping it. I might pick the new one up if it is available here in North America by Christmas.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
there is a rumor that the new ps2 will be released here with GTA: San Andreas bundled with it....that would give them a major sales boost

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Red__XIII said:
Nope, it's still there. http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20040921/scej2.htm for some more pics of it, including the inside.
Got a good press release with info on all 3 models (US / UK / Japan)
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/040921a_e.pdf

Looks like US only gets Narrow Band, and all 3 systems need a new multitap device since the older multitaps will no longer work.
Oh..and the buggers reportedly will be DVD-RW (VR mode)
*the term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video
mode), DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

Indeed! Hmm...we also notice the DVD Remote sensor (Unless we are seeing things).

Well it does sound like they are abandoning existing HDD support..especially with ole Kusanagi preaching about PSX as an alternative.

Ah well...we suppose if push came to shove, they could roll out a USB 2.0 compatible external HDD..hell...they could even resort to Flash Memory. However..we see the case. The only game that truly supports the HDD is FFXI...The others merely cache...We think Pandora (Splinter Cell) offers a map or too, but there is no demand for it.
Then there is the issue with HDDLoader apps...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yep, who says the hard drive was only for "official" uses ;). In any case that will sacrifice my large Sony 40GB memory card space, which is the reason why I invested on it so that I do not have to worry about buying a ton of memory cards.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
wow, and xbox is like giant compare to the pstwo

1 - 20 of 67 Posts