Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying myself a new pc as a christmas present :D
I've come up with some good things but i'd like to know your opinion as well!

motherboard Asus P5AD2-E Premium
processor Pentium 4 570 HT technology
graphics card PixelView GeForce 6800 Ultra
hard drive Western digital raptor 74 GB
case Thermaltake xaser Case shark silver VA7000SWA
cooling system Thermaltake BigWater CL-W0005
DVD-RW Nec ND3500

i have a prob in finding a good memory. I've heard kingston memories are good but the dont go more than 533Mhz and this motherboard supports ddr2 711. Any recommendations?

·
band
4,912 Posts
pure sexiness but personally id get an amd64 on the nforce4 platform. as for ram, id say get the corsair and overclock or smthn if ur gonna stay with intel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would prefer to buy an amd 64 fx-53 insted of intel p4 3.8 as well but it costs way to much for me. thnks for the mem tip i'll check it out!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Their isnt any real need to get an athlon fx (other than to gloat you spent $900 on a processor). A normal athlon 64 would work just fine. Corsair memory is the best you can get but I dont know if they sell any that runs that fast.

·
band
4,912 Posts
i agree. iirc, the amd64 3800+ actually is faster than the 570

yup : http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/index.html

for gaming and 3d, i think amd is pretty much untouchable rite now. and even if u take into account video rendering...is 0.3s slower gonna hold up your life?

·
Registered
331 Posts
patriot ram is known to be a good overclocker, even the generic patriot ram comes with heat spreaders, but if i had the cash to blow, id look into 1 gb of Corsair Twin XL DDR-II PC-4000+

·
Registered
289 Posts
IMO Corsair RAM is the best. Mine is usually running at 480MHz, 2.7v, and they have no heatsinks or cooling stuff at all. PC3200 for me ^^

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the tips guys :thumb:
Which do u think is the best motherboard to use for an AMD 64 4000+.
It's actually alot better than intel 570 but it costs about 600 euro.
I asked prices for the pc i want to buy and it costs around 1700-2000 euro, pretty much!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
finally..

It will be ready this week or the next, though i had to make some changes. Here:
CPU: Intel P4 560 3.6GHz
Motherboard: Abit AA8-duramax-3rd eye
Graphics: Radeon X800XT 256 Mb DVI
HD: 36Gb Western digital raptor
RAM: 2x512 533MHz Kingston
DVDRW: Nec ND-3500 16x dual layer
Case: ATX MIDI Oktabit blk

What do u think?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Looks good, just make sure you have a hefty PSU, I have notice from our techies at our store that generic PSU don't cut it when powering these boards (let alone stability) I would suggest PSU from Antec Neo Power or maybe OCZ Modstream/Powerstream series. We find these PSU to have enough amps (surprising I am shock they shove enough amps to kill a few ppl in one fall swoop) to keep it stable.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
nice setup,would that be a X800XT or X800XT-PE?, is your DVD drive a burner? if so I recomend a Benq, I would also recomend a larger HDD from Maxtor

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes I forgot to mention that Toshiro. I'm also putting a 400w silent psu.
I'll have this HD just for windows. I'll be using a different one (80GB 7200 RPM)for the apps and other stuff. The graphics card is X800XT. As for the dvd driver yes it is a burner. Thanks for the recommendation Player-x but i think i'll stick with Nec's writer.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The wattage should be ok, but its the amp readings you should be looking at. Recommended is about 30 - 40 amps on the 12V rail and about that high for the 5V as well. If not, I do not gaurantee your stability.

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
Actually it should be more like 18-22 amps on the 12V rail. You really might want to think about an Antec PSU, quite reputable and rock solid. Aside from that it looks pretty good, the burner is the best choice, the HD is great for a system drive and will increase load times in games (I assume you will be gaming with that :p) dramatically.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks fot the advice. :thumb: I'll see if i can still change the ps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts