Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AKA snkmad
Joined
·
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, actually just a few, but anyways, i just got myself(yeah with my own money) an Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754) and an ASUS K8V-X.

Now to the questions:
1) is winxp 64 worth the try? ive done a quick search, and it appears that all drivers exist, but my 3com nic.
2)coming from a Athlon Xp 2600+, will i noticed the diference?
3)pcsx2, big diference in speed?
4)any tips or hints how to optimize my new system, as BIOS settings, theres just tons of new options, ill put a list here later.
5)what games are 64-bit ready, if i can call like that? UT22k4? Doom3?

These the ones i can think of now, since im still installing my system, man i got a lot of junk to put in yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
1.)no not right now, not for a casual gamer,unless you just want to experiment
2.)isnt that a .2ghz increase? probably not except in benchmarks etc.
3.)I dont think there is a 64bit version yet, correct me if Im wrong
4.)not sure
5.)dont know, google I suppose

anyone correct me if Im wrong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Mad said:
Well, actually just a few, but anyways, i just got myself(yeah with my own money) an Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754) and an ASUS K8V-X.

Now to the questions:
1) is winxp 64 worth the try? ive done a quick search, and it appears that all drivers exist, but my 3com nic.
2)coming from a Athlon Xp 2600+, will i noticed the diference?
3)pcsx2, big diference in speed?
4)any tips or hints how to optimize my new system, as BIOS settings, theres just tons of new options, ill put a list here later.
5)what games are 64-bit ready, if i can call like that? UT22k4? Doom3?

These the ones i can think of now, since im still installing my system, man i got a lot of junk to put in yet.
i tihnk farcry is comin out in 64bit :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
3) dunno why? but my intel 2.8ghz prescott run pcsx 2 faster than my athlon 64 3200 (running at 32 bit mode)/about 4-5 fps faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
>>>i tihnk farcry is comin out in 64bit

AFAIK a patch which gives 64bit support came out quite a while ago
i think i saw some benches of it @ hardocp.
Do you mean this patch or actually a whole new version supporting 64?
 

·
AKA snkmad
Joined
·
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i just have to say im pretty satisfied with my pc.
I can run almost all games at the higher quality options, like GTA SA, NFSU2.
Ill be trying some more this week, like doom3.
BTW, anyone can point me to a direct link to doom3 patch? those sites like filefront and fileplanet are a pain in the *ss....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,506 Posts
I'm currently running winx64 ATM. Drivers is the problem ATM. I've managed to get drivers for nearly all my hardware now (scanner is the only missing one). As long as you can find the drivers there's no real problem.

You can d/l the farcry 64bit patches from amd's website. 'Tis a sizable download though.
 

·
AKA snkmad
Joined
·
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it stable as xp 32-bit?
Yeah it seems ill only be missing one of my NIC´s, but thats not a problem.
The system itself is better?
 

·
Canadian Spaceman
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Mad said:
Is it stable as xp 32-bit?
Yeah it seems ill only be missing one of my NIC´s, but thats not a problem.
The system itself is better?
Well you wont really find out unless you try it for yourself. Since microsoft has released it as a final version... it has to be atleast as stable as the regular 32bit xp.

You wont find out unless you give it a shot, do a dual boot. :rolleyes:
 

·
AKA snkmad
Joined
·
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah im going to.
Ill dl from M$ site, just waiting for my 80gb HD to be replaced, im with 2x 40gb HD´s now....
And about the doom3 link, any luck so far?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,506 Posts
Reichfuher said:
You wont find out unless you give it a shot, do a dual boot. :rolleyes:
It sounds easy, but I can tell you from experience that dual booting XP and X64 is not an option for the faint of heart.

The problem is that in their divine wisdom M$ screwed up the program files directories in x64.

For XP c:\program files is the normal program files directory.
For X64 c:\program files is the normal program directory for 64 bit programs and c:\program files x86 is the normal directory for 32 bit programs.

The problem is that IE and WMP both keep some essential files in program files. The end result is that if you try to install XP and X64 on the same partition, the latter will overwrite the formers copy of IE and WMP breaking it in the process.

You to dual boot you need to use separate partions. But it gets worse. Windows expects to be on the 1st (and only) primary partition on your system. So in order to dual boot, you'll need two "1st" primary partitions. The only way to do that is to use a boot manager such a grub to hide/unhide the partitions as necessary.

Oh and you'll need a thrid partition for share data between the two Oses.

Fun eh :p.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top