Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as an example page: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (ps3) reviews at Metacritic.com

What the heck happened to this once great website? Do they now filter out all the negative reviews in order to stimulate sales of crappy products in these hard times? Or is my browser simply messing up here?

Or is it that Metacritic simply wanted to have a review copy of its own? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't like this new step, it used to be a great source of information for games so I could easily find all the reviews I needed, both good and bad.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
seems a little unprofessional to accredit a score to a reviewer who does not give a review score. Speaking of which is something that I honestly think is the most useless part of any review, as how can you justify giving one game a 96 and the next one a 95 or whatever. I use them in my reviews, albeit reluctantly but I do think that they are a poor indication of how a game can be judged.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
seems a little unprofessional to accredit a score to a reviewer who does not give a review score. Speaking of which is something that I honestly think is the most useless part of any review, as how can you justify giving one game a 96 and the next one a 95 or whatever. I use them in my reviews, albeit reluctantly but I do think that they are a poor indication of how a game can be judged.
Usually points above 90 are individual opinions and should not really be cared... But if a game gets over 90 points its usually very good, as long as its from a credible source and not from some a**kissing site/magazine... That's why I think scale 1-10 is better.

·
7,828 Posts
It does seem like a much better system for a score. One of the magazines that I frequently read has changed from scores out of 100 to being out of 10, and it does lean more towards the weight of the review content as opposed to the final score being the only thing that matters.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So right there, snicko's reviews are always a great source of information. Professionals just look at things from a different perspective and often don't want to say outright something sucks. Besides, they get their games for free, how could they ever know if something is worth the money in the first place?

·
7,828 Posts
aww shucks

I think what many of us look for in a review, be it a conscious or un-conscious decision is the ability to relate to what the reviewer is saying and a big part of that is knowing about that person themselves.

For example, in the magazine that I mentioned before, one of my favourite reviewers was an individual who rose through the ranks of the magazine to eventually become editor, but what remained the same was his wacky humour, constant in house jokes and the ability to personalize the review to make it sound more natural and from actual experience. He now works for IGN and does a few reviews here and there and has still maintained that same level of humour and personality traits that make him individual. Its the same thing with the guys who host Top Gear (Clarkson, Hammon and May) who through all their faults and downright silliness manage to prepare a review in which we know where they are coming from and where some of their personal preferences lie.

In my books, that goes a long way in making a successful review, which is why I tend to enjoy reading what other members have to say about games they have played. We get to know who they are, and where their preferences lie, thus giving us a bit more of an understanding of what is good and suss about a game.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well same thing goes for Mark from CG he maintained his humour (though to be honest depending on the review the lvl seems to have dropped). But all he says in newer ones is "this is fantastic etc etc" "oh and this part is also fantastic etc etc". I have been watching him for quite some time to make an opinion and something is not right no matter how good is game there is still at least one thing there a individual would like changed or redone. But pretty much all i hear in his newer reviews for the big time consoles (XBOX360 and PS3) is "fantastic".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.