Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remind me to ask for proof next time....went to a computer convention and bought a Dell Ultra Sharp 1704FPV monitor. I asked the guy specifically what the response time on the monitor was, so he goes and gets a flyer with information about the monitor on it and tells me 12ms. I get home, hook it up, and look at the specifications on the CD (the owners manual was on a CD, they couldn't have just printed it???) and it says 25ms!!!!! I researched the monitor online, and sure enough, it's 25ms. Now don't get me wrong, the monitor is gorgeous, and like the name suggests, basic graphics are SHARP. I mean crystal clear, but I fired up halo and it sure is ghosting pretty good. I hate it when people lie just to get a sale. Cost me $16 to get into the convention, and looking over the receipt, if I did decide to take it back, it would probably cost me another $16 to get back in, plus they'd probably assess me a 20% restocking fee.....It's a great monitor, but I really hate liars. Although I've already read some reviews on the monitor, and most people say the ghosting isn't as bad as some other monitors with a 25ms response time. I guess I'm just kinda screwed....it's newegg from now on though....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well maybe the sales guy wasnt a liar, he just went by Dell's flyer ;)

Even if you purchased it online you would have to pay sh + restocking fee, which I did on a mobo I didnt want from newegg. $17 restock fee + $8 sh.

If ghosting really bothers you then I would go ahead and return it, I hear Dell monitors are pretty good though so I dunno.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
doesnt Dell not make monitors...they just rebrand other monitors? for example i have an NEC FE771SB (google it if you want), and the other day i was at a LAN center and i was like "whoa! my monitor!" and i looked at it, and in place of the NEC logo it said DELL. so hey what do ya know.

that's why i like my new monitor, Samsung Syncmaster 710N (http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=383). i got it for free off freeflatscreens.com, it's due to arrive next tuesday (says UPS tracking). 12ms baby :D

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, good news....since the convention was still going on today (today was the last day) I took the monitor up there and said, hey...this is a 25ms monitor....they took a look at the model number on the monitor and they were like, WTF??? They said they weren't even supposed to have that particular monitor, just because of that reason. So since they didn't have any of the monitors I wanted left, they gave me the display. This monitor IS 12ms, and it KICKS @$$!!!!!! And NO DEAD PIXELS!!!! It also has a built in 4 port USB 2.0 extension and an option to purchase a little speaker thing that can mount to it. Going from a little 15" CRT to this 17" LCD is such a big difference....this screen is like HUGE. So I got what I paid for finally. After using this screen for a while, I realize how much the 25ms one really sucked.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Good thing it all worked out in the end :). I've been thinking about getting a LCD to replace my 17" CRT whenever it dies but I'm not sure yet. I like having the flexibility of using different resolutions without screen shrinking or pixel interpolation but the text readability and health benefits over a CRT are nice. I used to be worried about ghosting a few years ago but that's not a problem anymore.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
:laugh: a 17" monitor being huge? well i guess if you had a 15" it would be. and yeah, 12ms kicks ass.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I might get myself an 8ms lcd monitor:),gonna save up for it after i get a new comp,just love seeing how they take up alot less space then crt's,Could you post a picture of your lcd monitor?

·
Registered
287 Posts
hushypushy said:
doesnt Dell not make monitors...they just rebrand other monitors? for example i have an NEC FE771SB (google it if you want), and the other day i was at a LAN center and i was like "whoa! my monitor!" and i looked at it, and in place of the NEC logo it said DELL. so hey what do ya know.

that's why i like my new monitor, Samsung Syncmaster 710N (http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=383). i got it for free off freeflatscreens.com, it's due to arrive next tuesday (says UPS tracking). 12ms baby :D
You have to buy something before they ship it!? The offers kinda suck... and dont you have to refer 10 people or something?. I want a free LCD! :)

Which did you signup for?

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Kiroshi said:
You have to buy something before they ship it!? The offers kinda suck... and dont you have to refer 10 people or something?. I want a free LCD! :)

Which did you signup for?
oO you dont have to buy anything before they ship it...hence the "free" part of "free flat screens". and you have to refer 8 people. i did it, i know a few other people that have. if you live in the US go for it. i went to freeflatscreens.com and signed up for the Samsung 17" LCD.

jldnr77: funny how they make the exact same monitor but one with an abysmal response time and one with an excellent one.

PS. here is my monitor from newegg, it's $279, even with the "one day sale" it's still $209, but hey mine is arriving tomorrow for free :) http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-171&depa=0

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I did the freeflatscreens thing too, but nobody wants to be a refferal >_<, i've gotten two people but niether of them completed any offers. If you do plan to do the free flat screen thing then click my link ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
How reliable is this freeflatscreens thing?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
stilz said:
How reliable is this freeflatscreens thing?
totally reliable. i am typing this response and looking directly into a Samsung LCD that i got from them :)

although. LCDs arent that great for games, i must warn you. basically, anything besides the default resolution looks like crap. i hate pixel interpolation. maybe im just picky, but...

anyway if you dont plan on playing games or you dont notice pixel interpolation, get an LCD. they are easier on your eyes, and they last for a long time. and a great way to get a free flat screen is freeflatscreens.com

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ah, that's great to hear. Thanks for your reply.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
I hear people talking about ghosting on flatscreen monitors but i never actually noticed it on my monitor.
I have been playing UT2004, Halo, SoF2... and never seen it happen.
I own a BenQ FP731 monitor with a 25ms response time.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
hushypushy said:
totally reliable. i am typing this response and looking directly into a Samsung LCD that i got from them :)

although. LCDs arent that great for games, i must warn you. basically, anything besides the default resolution looks like crap. i hate pixel interpolation. maybe im just picky, but...

anyway if you dont plan on playing games or you dont notice pixel interpolation, get an LCD. they are easier on your eyes, and they last for a long time. and a great way to get a free flat screen is freeflatscreens.com

My LCD monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 712N) is actually pretty good when it comes to pixel interpolation compared to some others I have seen. But I do prefer to run games at it's native res (1280x1024). My PC can easily handle it and they just look fantastic! :D

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
hushypushy said:
:laugh: a 17" monitor being huge? well i guess if you had a 15" it would be. and yeah, 12ms kicks ass.
The picture size in 17" LCD almost equals to 19" CRT monitor because they are measured differently, so yes, it IS big enough.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
As a matter of fact, it IS very noticable. Plus that varies from montor to monitor. Some equals almost to 19", some are 18". When i had 14" inch monitor and then jumped to 15", the size difference looked enormous. Its quite funny, cuz in numbers difference isnt that big.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts