Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well its been about 2 years since I totally overhauled the main PC. And the entire atmosphere is different these days. No nforce, p55s, so I had to make sure I got a good SLI capable + PhysX system. I also decided to have it built by maingear for warranty reasons. At least the bare bones parts since it was a huge change. I was also able to get a custom Nvidia laser etch on it. What can I say? :p

Note: Some components are provided by Nvidia to prepare me for Future 3 Way setup.

Components I chose were.

Intel I7 860
Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer
3 Way SLI capable + small PhysX PPU
8 Gigs DDR 3 1333 ((unimpressive memory types :p))
Silverstone 1.5 Kilowatt PSU
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

Haven't done any overclocking yet. I wanna stability test it for a bit.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
:D Nice.

:( If anyone at NV forums mentions their DirectDraw games freezing tell them its a windows 7 bug, and not the drivers.
(apparently a Race issue between Ddraw and WDDM)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Yeah, maybe NV can sort it out at the driver level.
Its not a full freeze or crash, rather the display stops updating and the mouse/keyboard no longer work, but audio and other processes in the background continue to work (skype, folding etc).

I'm sure the driver guys know some people in the MSFT circles so maybe working together they could sort out a patch :D

Anyway :) I finally got an upgrade myself xD
Core i7 920 D0 (@ 3.4Ghz)
Corsair Dominator 1600
Asus Rampage II Gene,
Auzentech Prelude

I expect benchmarks to compare with from your system.
These i7's though.... they definitely unlock some hidden performance from the G200 series.

There is a bug in Windows 7 with an old draw mechanism. I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember it occasionally will mishandle a piece of memory (not properly locking it beforehand IIRC). My father works at Microsoft and has been trying to figure out what it is/get the bug team to fix it by release.

Unfortunately the only away around it is to not run Starcraft in Windows 7. Either by playing through a VM or dual booting with XP.
Actually... that makes sense, DDraw does lock the device when in fullscreen, so its possible theres a bug in Windows 7 which is breaking the context locking.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Ey Chris, long time no see :)

Wicked setup you got there, as usual, hehe.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Chris banned me once :D

fun times :D

:D I'll be back on nvidia forums in 2014 xD

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am actually not the one who suspended your account squall. :p I probably wouldn't have gone for a permanent ban. I dont tend to use them.

Anywho. Right now I am contacting futuremark. I paid for 3dmark vantage and they seem to have stopped accepting my key. Hopefully they respond and tell me whats up.

Ey Chris, long time no see
I'm still about.. just so busy these days. My days consist of work --> Nvidia forums/Nvidia stuff --> Trying to squeeze a little MMORPG time in. Its kinda sad this forum doesnt store my original 1998 join date. Man I am so old.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
:p oh i know it wasn't you. Was Brian >.> but yeah i totally deserved it with that really bad attitude i had back then.

I had that happen on my 3dmark06 key, asus gave me a new one that worked.. would've prefered a vantage key though D:.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Never seen you before Chrisray but nice to meet you. Nice system, looks awesome.
Im a month older than you according to the join date :D
But if what you say is true about ngemu not storing your join date, maybe im older too, i dont remember when i joined :p

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Never seen you before Chrisray but nice to meet you. Nice system, looks awesome.
Im a month older than you according to the join date :D
But if what you say is true about ngemu not storing your join date, maybe im older too, i dont remember when i joined :p
My original join date was 1998. But my account was deleted. And then restored sometime in early 2004. Me and Demigod used to have "hardware" debates back in 1999/2000 about Geforce 4/Radeon 8500s. I joined these forums when I was still in highschool. I'm almost 28 now. These are the oldest forums I was ever active in. :)

Chris

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have a question;
You can still using DirectDraw in VisualBoyAdvance in Windows 7? Just wondering...

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
My original join date was 1998. But my account was deleted. And then restored sometime in early 2004. Me and Demigod used to have "hardware" debates back in 1999/2000 about Geforce 4/Radeon 8500s. I joined these forums when I was still in highschool. I'm almost 28 now. These are the oldest forums I was ever active in. :)

Chris
I remember the debates about 3dfx vs Nvidia on these boards. Joined these boards when I had my 3dfx Voodoo 3. Awesome system Chris. Now start your own "My [gpu name] Screenshots" thread when you get the chance. :D

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I remember the debates about 3dfx vs Nvidia on these boards. Joined these boards when I had my 3dfx Voodoo 3. Awesome system Chris. Now start your own "My [gpu name] Screenshots" thread when you get the chance. :D
Haha, yeah, I had a Voodoo 3 3000 when I joined Emuforums... so many memories. :D

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
haha i had a geforce 5500fx when i joined. Didnt know demigod was that old too

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Actually makotech I knew Chris since I joined, I saw you recently I might say. :p
It was always enjoyable seeing his post with his hardware testing stuff.

Congrats Chris, as fivefeet8 said, post a screenshots thread with your new hardware.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.