Next Generation Emulation banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Erm, none of the links work for me, they all direct me too the wrong place. And i desperately need to download pauls plugins !!!!
Oh damn it.
The new webby lost its previous links to the ePSXe plugins.

Anyway, its nice to see a change after 6 years?! :???:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Please feel free to PM me if there are key links you think we need on the frontpage. You may find them by going to the nav-bar and using the drop-down to the archives ot get to the old pages.

As far as the comment about using a "cloned" design- the frontpage is now coded using a WordPress skin which is very easy to customize. We picked our magazine lay-out which is actually harder to implement then a single column design. Any members who want to take a shot at developing a cooler WordPress skin can always PM me...or if we have enough designers, maybe we could run a contest for a new skin?

As for having more of an emulator focus- we need contributors. Just make a thread in the appropriate subforum and PM me or the other admins and we can easily publish it to the frontpage. This way the content won't go stale for weeks at a time and our talented members can write hardcore tutorials and get their personal emulation developments recognized.

We wanted a system that was easier to use than the previous one, and one where the best content could rise to the frontpage.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
Please feel free to PM me if there are key links you think we need on the frontpage. You may find them by going to the nav-bar and using the drop-down to the archives ot get to the old pages.
The forum highlights should be back. Or meaby I don't see them in the front page? They were very useful to have a general view of Ngemu Forums (and to have a fast summary of a NGemu day). The forum news should too (about new events in emulation), I mean as it was with the Bobbi style.

Anyway, some remarks.

-The google ad in the banner (the one currently showing the supercard thing) seems not to have its place there. The ad is too much shown, present and does not, IMHO, reflects what is really NGemu, aka an emulation community. Meaby it can be moved elsewhere? anyway seperated from the general NGemu banner?

-Viewing what the three general panels (popular articles, recent articles and Best of Ngemu) are carrying as informations, I found them too similar.There is too much redundancy. One should meaby be dedicated to the forum highlights, the second to the ngemu news and the third to something else?

-About theses three general panels again, the fact they don't have the same size is not really visually pleasant, and they are moreover showing that some parts of the page are empty, so not efficiently used.

-The links about emulation (Playstation,PS2,etc...) are leading to forum threads? And what about general things about a specific console (Emulators, Downloads, Description?). Meaby there is a mean to improve them making them instead lead to a page displaying a brief history/description about the console and all which is related to it, emulation talking? We are not only a forum, I think.

-I find the footer too big. It have too much importance concerning the general page design. I'm conscient we are now members of a much bigger community and that it should be shown, but meaby it can be shown with a little more discretion?

So that is all I have seen for the moment. More feedback later, when I'll have the time to browse more deeply in the new NGemu style.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
What about what I reported? An internal function of the forums is messed up because of this external page.

Also, if a new style is created, would the old one would stay? Maybe it's just me, but I like the current look of the forums better than I can envision that as a style, and I even preferred the old main page to this new one.

Edit: As for the three columns I think the center one should show Emulation News Submissions. It's the main feature of the site, afterall. Simply set it up to draw the latest so many number of posts from the Emulation News Submissions forum as the old page did.

As for the other two columns, one can show featured articles (left), and another can show the latest so many posts of the entire forum, polls, and other random stuff (right).

In other words, keep it similar to how it was. You may have updated the software for better control and ease of use, but the layout of the information was good and working as it was, so I'd stick close to it. For an emulation homepage to be reduced to a simple forum portal showing the latest random posts is a travesty. It needs it's news, and it needs it's various console specific sections that had their downloads.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
+1 was think the same thing.
Isn't the design of those new pages a bit cumbersome for a forum?
A mega big "Headline"-style of the first post, and the other posts
looking as small and narrow comment-fields.

My opinion is that it feels very cramped compared to the well working style the forums has right now.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Isn't the design of those new pages a bit cumbersome for a forum?
A mega big "Headline"-style of the first post, and the other posts
looking as small and narrow comment-fields.

My opinion is that it feels very cramped compared to the well working style the forums has right now.
somethimes this forum feels gloom and doom. just a bit more light wil help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All the emulators links I've tried so far in the PS1 section of the main site just loop the PS1 news page for me. Clearing cookies and everything didn't help. Just getting to the PS1 section of the site right now is iffy.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
downloads are down until we can set up the new download database

hopefully soon :p

What are you smokin, the downloads are all working fine. :p

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
that's good....I guess. It doesn't for me :D

Yeah... well *cough*, replacing the original home page, which was also integral to the sites cms will do that... hopefully they roll out something which works well.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
How about a ngemu mobile? i wouldn't mind that :D

41 - 60 of 89 Posts