Next Generation Emulation banner

new grphics card

3K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  Lasnap 
#1 · (Edited)
new graphics card and monitor

i really need a new graphics card sence im still running a nvidi gefore 7600 gs with 512 mbs of ram. ide say my needs would probably be to be future proof for the next few years and my budget would have to be upwards of $150-$200 and i dont care if its an ati or a nvidia grapgics card as of right now. its going to take me a few months to get the money i need but ill get it one way or another by say december. and im looking at a new monitor to go with this setup as well so pleas try and keep the combos around and under $500usd total please cuase thats how much i was planning on spending on a new 26' lcd tv

#27 ·
You should get an S3 Virge... or maybe one of the upcoming nVidia GT300 based GPUs. I dunno. Sometimes I get confused about which one is better.

... GTX275.

#30 ·
S3 Trio 3D :drool:
Are you serious? oO S3 was crap. The only really noteworthy thing they did was create a standard for texture compression. (S3TC)

@Lasnap:

Are you asking about a card to hold you over with on your current system or a card to use on your current system and then carry over onto your new (yet to be built) system?

#31 ·
you clearly don't know much about the S3 Trio 3D xD

#33 ·
you clearly don't know much about the S3 Trio 3D xD
Guess not. :/

I remember the epic fail known as ViRGE. Wasn't Trio 3D based off ViRGE? Besides, by the time Trio 3D was around, I had my Rage128+Voodoo2 and later, my TNT2 Ultra. Ah, those were the days.

#34 ·
Trio 3D was based off of the 64V line but succeeded the Virge DX/GX2

#35 ·
Ati hd4650.
oO DDR2? That'd be a terrible decision. You don't want anything less than a 4670 / 3850 level card nowadays, and for $20,- more you can get much better performance even. The problem would be power usage of course, perhaps a 4770 would be nice?

#36 ·
I was suggesting a temporary solution until he gets a brand new system. I think that's what he's asking for in his last post. The HD4650 also has an AGP variant so if his mobo doesn't support PCIe then it's a pretty decent and cost-effective solution.

#37 ·
I'd rather recommend an nvidia for agp then a ATi... since HD2XXX non of the ati cards where meant for agp of course AMD was good enough to release fixes (not that they where obliged since they clearly stated that there new boards aren't meant for agp) but still...

#39 ·
its a socket 939 sli motherboard so i do have one pcie x16 and 2 pciex8s and i was asking for one that would stay in this system becuase ill be putting linux on it and running that. oncwe i get the money for a new system and i was oping not to spend to much for a new card incase the 7600gs goes out. ive had some issues but nothing major yet. im just asking as a precussionary measure incase something does happen

#40 ·
Dunno about other places, but the best AGP Nvidia card available here is an Inno3D FX5500 :p
lol i was sure there where at least some 7XXX agp versions though now the only agp nvidia components available here to are 5500/6200 as for newegg i found a 7600 but its not worth it 84$ way better to go with the ati...

oO DDR2? That'd be a terrible decision. You don't want anything less than a 4670 / 3850 level card nowadays, and for $20,- more you can get much better performance even. The problem would be power usage of course, perhaps a 4770 would be nice?
found this for him: Newegg.com - DIAMOND 4650512A Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards though i don't know much about Diamond...

Scratch that now i see his post with having PCI-express :p i'd say wait a little to see what ati has to offer for there new HD5XXX mid range cards.

#41 ·
im not spending the money to replace the psu for a new card. if i could get a an old decent card that would run linux and comux-fuzion just fine ill be good. not going to do much except mess around with linux and mabe watch movies and shows if my new computer is busy doing something

#42 ·
its a socket 939 sli motherboard so i do have one pcie x16 and 2 pciex8s and i was asking for one that would stay in this system becuase ill be putting linux on it and running that. oncwe i get the money for a new system and i was oping not to spend to much for a new card incase the 7600gs goes out. ive had some issues but nothing major yet. im just asking as a precussionary measure incase something does happen
Sorry lol. Anyway, if all you have in store for it in Linux on it and don't want to run heavy games on it in the mean-time (and also want to spend less so you can spend more on the complete new build) then just get the cheapest card you can find i.e. ATI HD4350 or Nvidia 9400GT. They're actually not too bad, on minimum settings on medium resolutions, Crysis is fully playable on both :p

Or if you want something even cheaper then just pull something off ebay.

#43 ·
im not spending the money to replace the psu for a new card. if i could get a an old decent card that would run linux and comux-fuzion just fine ill be good. not going to do much except mess around with linux and mabe watch movies and shows if my new computer is busy doing something
You want linux ? then go nvidia seeing as you got PCI-express it shouldn't be a problem.Also what is your PSU ?

ATi HD4350 sux, better get a Nvidia 9400GT if possible :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.