Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new gfx-card (Radeon 2900 Pro), and installed it into my motherboard (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) without a hitch, as I've done countless times.
So while I was powering up the computer, the bios made 1 long and 2 short beeps.
According to these 2 sites:
BIOS Beep Codes
PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes
This specific beep combination indicates video failure.
So I decided to try my half-fried video card (8800GTS), to see if my new gfx-card was faulty.
Turns out my old gfx-card got the same beeps!
And, here's the kicker, it worked this morning when I had my computer on.

I've tried both PCI-E slots (got 2 x16 slots), but same beeps on both slots, with both cards.

Why won't my computer start up now, when it worked fine 2 hours ago?

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Maybe your 8800GTS fry the PCIE slot.XD

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Sometimes you just need to reseat the video card. And pressing the video card hard on the slot won't help, a light press would be enough. ;)

PS. When it is beeping, and a simple, split second power press turns off the computer, it's video card related. If it doesn't it's other things, most likely RAM.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS. When it is beeping, and a simple, split second power press turns off the computer, it's video card related. If it doesn't it's other things, most likely RAM.
Well the problem seems to be the RAM.

I tried what you said, took out the card from the pci-e slot and inserted the power cord into the card. (The inlet is at the back of the card, so the card wiggles if I insert the cord while the card is in the motherboard), and I took out all 4 RAM chips (got 4 identical 1gig), and only inserted 1 chip into the motherboard. I pressed the power button, and only 1 short beep followed!
Gonna try the other RAM chips to see which one is the faulty one.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I've tested all 4 ram chips with all the slots, and so far my chip 2 was the only one that was kinda faulty.
I said kinda, since it was only in slot 2 and 4 I got the 1 long and 2 short beeps. In slot 1 and 3 I got the normal 1 short beep.

See on the image I attached to this post for which slots have which number. (Wrote the number on the pin that holds the ram chips in place, imba paintskills right there!)

Edit: I put the ram chip number 2 in slot 1, number 1 in slot 2, and number 3 and 4 in slot 3 and 4, and the pc started :)
Just installed the drivers, and restarting now, I so hope the computer won't screw me over now :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts