Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New drug blocks HIV from entering cells

A durable new drug that prevents HIV from entering human cells and causes almost no side effects has been developed by a team of researchers at Kumamoto University

Click here for the full article.
Neat :p.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
a cure?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Very good news. Hopefully it isnt costly aswell :)

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
its not a cure its just prevention. a cure would eliminated or "cure" previously infected cells.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
the virus spreads itself by entering cells and making them produce more viruses, if they cant enter cells then they would die...

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
it just supresses the virus,not neutralises it so I would say that someone infected will have to take regular doses of it to continue living just like almost any other aids drugs

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hopefully this will be cheaper to produce than other AIDS drugs. AIDS and HIV is such a huge problem in Africa, so much cause no one can afford the medicine. I remember reading at one point that the average citizen makes so little and that the drugs were so expensive, that they account for 90% of a person's monthly income... obviously leaving them unable to pay for food and housing.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Hopefully the side ffect of it isn't a higher rate for having a heart attack,hope it's cheap too as it would help people out.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Rhombus said:
Hopefully this will be cheaper to produce than other AIDS drugs. AIDS and HIV is such a huge problem in Africa, so much cause no one can afford the medicine. I remember reading at one point that the average citizen makes so little and that the drugs were so expensive, that they account for 90% of a person's monthly income... obviously leaving them unable to pay for food and housing.

Wishful thinking it will cheap enough for third world countries. Pharmaceuticals will make sure they get their money's out of the AIDs drugs. But all seriousness they really gotta use this drug in Africa. The growing amount of HIV infected people Africa are so great that it will affect everyone at one time in the future.

I'm glad they are trying to prevent AIDs other than saying wearing a condom. But this option is to people who continously use it and i doubt people will use it all the time. Seeing so many preventable pregancies that could've prevented. I know so many people that have kids because they didn't take precautions.

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
Wow, I wonder how the Japanese always stay so advanced of other countries?

The side effects are probably very minor, like a headache or drowsiness, or maybe even an upset stomach. For an HIV cure, I think most people would take almost any side effect.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thats amazing. IDK how the big corporations are over in Japan, but since it was not made in the USA is there a slight chance that this drug won't become a money making tool and actually be made cheap? Also, since the g8 summit crap has been trying to double or triple aid to africa, even if it is somewhat expensive, at least a little more could get there than before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts