Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building a new system but need some advice, I've been out of the hardware scene for some time and have gotten lost in all the new stuff so here is what I've come up with fo my upgrade

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-130-AM)
£71.95
XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT Extreme Gamers Edition 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT43GNDD7) (GX-046-XF)
£99.95
Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 CAS3 (CT12864Z40B) (MY-030-CR)
£74.95
Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-101-AS)
£74.95
Silverstone Temjin TJ01 - Black (No PSU) (CA-001-SV)
£53.30
X-PRO 460W Silent Power Supply (CA-001-XP)
£42.95
Akasa AK-855-BL Copper Base CPU Cooler (Socket 754 & 939) (HS-022-AK)
£9.95
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 200GB ST3200826AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-019-SE)
£66.25
Logitech Media Keyboard - Retail (KB-036-LG)
£13.95
Hyundai ImageQuest Q770S 17'' Perfectly Flat CRT Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-006-HY)
£64.95
Subtotal £573.15
VAT £100.31
Total £673.46

This would have to be an entirely operational system from everything I buy so if I've missed anything stupid from this list (which I inevitabley have) I will stick with my current disk drives though.

So what I need to know is if I missed anything, also is this the best I could get for this kind of price (so many similarly priced 6600GTs and athlon 64s I just didn't know which would be the best to choose and just randomly selected) and also, are all these things compatable, I didn't pick up a board that can't use my CPU or a power supply that won't go in my case did I? also, these prices are prom Overclockers.co.uk does anyone know if I could get better prices from anywhere else?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Get a Dual Channel kit and not a single stick. This is a great example:

GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (£61.95 +VAT if bought this week £64.95 +VAT otherwise)

It is not only cheaper, but has lower latency, is equiped with heatspreaders, and will work in Dual Channel mode. Other specs look okay though. Yep, Overclockers.co.uk is basically the cheapest place for us UKers.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much better is dual-channel mode than normal? The reason I choose the other one was that I couldn't find dual-channel in a single 1 gig stick, I was planning to upgrade to 2 gig in the future. Any idea where I could get one of those?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Typically about ~5% faster for AMD platforms in CPU stressing situations such as encoding or emulation. This is basically a free speed boost. You need two identical sticks for Dual Channel.

The fact that you want 2GB and upgrade down the line basically forces you to get that lower quality 1GB stick you chose. 2GB is basically overkill unless you use stuff like Photoshop or AutoCAD fairly extensively.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what about the other stuff, did I choose the best CPU/Graphics Card/mobo/RAM for that price-ish or could I have gotten better by going one step up or with another manufacturer.

also the other question, is the PSU I choose good enough and compatable with the hardware and correct for the case I chose, I really can't find any info on that.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I didn't find anyhting on that power supply either,i suggest choosing a powersupply that you can find info on since you could check out a review of it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
did I choose the best CPU/Graphics Card/mobo/RAM for that price-ish
Pretty much. You could alternatively swap the 6600GT for a X800GT for the same price but that's just a matter of taste.

also the other question, is the PSU I choose good enough and compatable with the hardware and correct for the case I chose, I really can't find any info on that.
Yes, it's good enough, and it should work in that case. All cases/PSUs nowadays are ATX. The Power Supply has a SATA power connector(s) for your 7200.8.

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
it looks like everything, unless you want a new mouse too?

i agree with Clements on the dual channel memory too, iirc Geil memory is a bit faster than Crucial as well as being cheaper. plus the newer athlon 64's tend to take advantage of dual channel when it is available.

If you want to upgrade to 2gb later on, i noticed the motherboard has 4 dimm slots, so buy a 1gb dual channel kit for now and buy another one later and fill the 4 slots up, it does give a nice little boost for free, which basically helps your graphics card in transferring textures from memory, so you should hopefully seem a small fps increase with it too.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks didn't notice it had 4 dimm slots :/ it's exactly that kind of stupidity I was posting for.

anyway have you got any idea how fast memory that mobo can take, I was thinking getting this

GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX21GB5300DC) (MY-030-GL)

or this

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB5300DC) (MY-034-GL)

would I be able to run it?

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help, I've ordered this system with the GeIL memory, says "Next day delivery" but it's with the company that smashed my last computer into pieces then wouldn't accept responsibility... hope they're OK this time

·
カラム
365 Posts
That's a nice setup. You're gonna be happy with your new pc.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Thats a good little setup you got there, your gonna love that Venice core. They overclock like mad.

·
カラム
365 Posts
They do. I also read they can go well past the speeds of the 3200+ & 3500+ and maybe even the 3700+ although I'm not sure.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's some good news, after the horror that was the 7 hour build of this system and then the 3 days of trying to work out why it wouldn't work properly before just reinstaling windows and it turned out to be that... the simplest fix ever but I didn't realize till after I had rebuild the bloody thing from scratch!

ah well, it's working now and it's bloody sweet... running CS:S at full speed with settings maxed is really fun!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.