Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Why are you getting so many dimms? Get a nice cheap triple channel set from ocz.

I would ditch that expensive sound card and stick with onboard unless you plan to hook up 7.1? I am not much an audiophile for my computer, so I tend not to care as much compared to a home theater setup.

I also saw a nice Asus monitor on newegg for a little more... never heard of Hanns-G even though it is a bigger panel.

Are you really burning that much stuff to require 2x dvdrom? I picked up an external drive for around $50 and much easier to get at if your case is under a desk or something.

Powersupply I would vote for anything Enermax/Corsair/OCZ... pick the cheapest modular you can find. However my Enermax galaxy was a little larger in my case than I anticipated.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AM3 doesn't support triple channel memory....so if I use a triple channel kit, it would run in single channel instead

I guess I'll buy a DVD-ROM drive instead

Onboard doesn't support EAX5....period. My xtrememusic is PCI, and I want a PCI-E. I should go with the cheaper Titanium card instead. Are there any benefits with the Creative X-RAM?

Monitor....I may look into a 24" instead. Gotta break out that tape measure for that one. If that monitor got viewer choice awards x3, then it can't be bad

I see nothing to suggest a 500$ video card. Even the 4890 can run Crysis pretty comfortably. I was looking at 1900x1200 benchmarks too. By the time the next demanding game comes out, we will probably be in next generation by now

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Everything I've read about Hanns*G leads me to believe they are actually good monitors..
Until you read my opinion about my parents' monitor: They have a 19" of that brand and to be honest I'd be very sceptical before buying one. It's a cheap brand and it truly shows in the monitor. It has all the basic settings, but the panel is simply crappy. There's a lot of backlight bleeding and colours are simply not as bright and lively as on quality brand monitors. On top of that it simply doesn't have the same colour all over the screen. Provided, a lot of TN-panel monitors have these problems, but the HansG shows it quite a lot more than my Iiyama for instance. It's good if you're not demanding, or value size over everything else. Of course, I'm not saying every model is like this, but I would be weary and definitely look up if there's consistency in reviews.

Onboard doesn't support EAX5....period. My xtrememusic is PCI, and I want a PCI-E. I should go with the cheaper Titanium card instead. Are there any benefits with the Creative X-RAM?
I found the X-fi to give significantly better sound than my RealTek Onboard. I would look into Asus Xonar though, just to get something other than Creative, who don't have the reputation of being too reliable in the driver department.

X-ram is probably more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. There's not that many games supporting it as far as I know.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Until you read my opinion about my parents' monitor: They have a 19" of that brand and to be honest I'd be very sceptical before buying one. It's a cheap brand and it truly shows in the monitor. It has all the basic settings, but the panel is simply crappy. There's a lot of backlight bleeding and colours are simply not as bright and lively as on quality brand monitors. On top of that it simply doesn't have the same colour all over the screen. Provided, a lot of TN-panel monitors have these problems, but the HansG shows it quite a lot more than my Iiyama for instance. It's good if you're not demanding, or value size over everything else. Of course, I'm not saying every model is like this, but I would be weary and definitely look up if there's consistency in reviews.

I found the X-fi to give significantly better sound than my RealTek Onboard. I would look into Asus Xonar though, just to get something other than Creative, who don't have the reputation of being too reliable in the driver department.

X-ram is probably more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. There's not that many games supporting it as far as I know.
I hear that, creative drivers suck, and forget about Windows 7 support at the moment.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
my xfi xtremegamer has windows 7 support, and it works just as well as vista/xp

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Kirby you are a representative of teh emuforums and have tens of thousands of people who follow your every move, idolize you and and mimicking your ever action, and as such you need to take a leadership role and role model position and get a gpu that suits emulations well.

I've seen a couple posts with a couple people with 4000 series cards with even quadcore systems getting poor performance on pcsx2, who've gone through the troubleshoot process and which leads you to think there is something up with the hardware or drivers of the 4000 series cards.

Spyhop said:
Asus Xonar ftmfw
I've heard good things about the Asus Xonar.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I absolutely forgot that the Xonar can emulate EAX 5.0 effects via DS3D GX. I'm just not sure how well it works. If it's as good as the real thing, then I'll choose the Xonar hands down
I've seen a couple posts with a couple people with 4000 series cards with even quadcore systems getting poor performance on pcsx2, who've gone through the troubleshoot process and which leads you to think there is something up with the hardware or drivers of the 4000 series cards.
even so....I only own FF10 :p I can wait until a fix is found

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
even so....I only own FF10 :p I can wait until a fix is found
Go full-software (use GSDX software renderer) with a Quad-core. You can get full speed in FF10 if you have a 3.6GHz Core 2 Quad. :p Even if it doesn't look all that great, I could not find any graphical bug.

And your GPU wouldn't matter at all in which case.

Or, you know, we can always wait for another emulator. :innocent: I reckon after PCSX2, something else might surface... say... what became of pSX?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Updated:

- Replaced X-Fi Titanium w/ ASUS Xonar DX (when I thought about it....changing 'modes' was a pain in the ass)
- Added XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC651 650W power supply (seems to have very high reviews for a fair price)
- Removed 1 of the DVD burners....replaced it with a DVD-ROM drive instead
- Replaced Gigabyte AMD 790FX motherboard w/ a Gigabyte AMD 790X instead (after reading the difference between the 2, wasn't worth the 40 bucks)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.