Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
those 620HX's have been brute tested and power stability only appeared to screw up once max load went up past 700w.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
because it doesn't perform the same at that lower price.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Skip that case. The Antec 300 is nothing special
It's a case, and that's what it does. It's a nice case with lots of space and good ventilation options. It's design is decent, though some features are missing, like installing harddrives sideways. It comes with decent fans by default, that don't make too much noise as long as you leave the speed on low. Medium/High is a disaster on those tricools, but I found that those speeds aren't needed. The dust filter in the front is the perfect solution when you want to put an intake fan over there.

The looks are a matter of taste, just like my monitor I like to keep it sober. I can't stand glossy stuff. For the price the 300 is a great value. Who needs those crappy bundled PSUs anyway?

Would you have a better suggestion? :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
because it doesn't perform the same at that lower price.
Yes they do. The benchmarks say it all.

AnandTech Bench (beta): AMD Phenom II X4 920 vs Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

See, The AMD Phenom 2 X4 920 beats the Q8200 in every single benchmark except for 3 in the dozens that they tested, and it costs like 10 dollars less on newegg. Plus you have support for later processors and you have the option of either sticking with a cheaper AM2+ board, or an AM3 board that supports DDR3 ram.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
rotflmao.

stop trying to sway us with you're bull**** static benchmarks. they don't show the true power in a processor at all.

·
Site Owner
18,081 Posts
If the Phenoms (including Deneb) were so good, Intell would be in a serious finaacial freefall right now. Are they? Btw, Macs don't use AMD for a reasons. There custumers pay through the nose to know they are better then you.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
If the Phenoms (including Deneb) were so good, Intell would be in a serious finaacial freefall right now. Are they? Btw, Macs don't use AMD for a reasons. There custumers pay through the nose to know they are better then you.
Well there went a bit of credibility from your side. I don't know how much you've followed the antitrust cases, but the reason why Intel has been doing so well regardless of performance is because of them signing all these contracts that would exclude retailers from providing AMD stuff, otherwise they'd simply not be able to sell at the same price as the retailers who would sign those contracts.

Macs aren't such a clear argument either, it's a rather closed environment, which they want to keep as transparent as possible. Put in AMD processors and suddenly their userbase won't understand a single bit anymore about which PC performs better.

As for Phenom II vs Core2Quad: Marketing and reputation. Intel's doing great because of all the Core 2 hype. Same for the low end spectrum of processors. Meanwhile the Athlon X2 is very competetive for the same price as all those Pentium 2xxx and 1xxx series which they sell with dozens. The only reason why those are so popular is overclocking potential, the rest is all hype and marketing. Newer processors sell better as well, because it advertises better.

As for the Phenom II mentioned in the review against the Q8200. I think that the Phenom II there definitely has the upper hand, seeing how it has more OC potential as well.

Intel won't fall, no matter what AMD does. They simply have too much money and too much control in the market. It's like they're playing with AMD.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Oh definitely, in the PC world being a fanboy only makes you end up paying more for inferior products. That's exactly why I think you shouldn't rule out the Phenom II right away because of Intel's market dominance. They form a more than acceptable alternative, but it does depend on your planned upgrade path.

Anyway Squall, Anandtech is still pretty respectable, he's not quoting Tom at least. If you would've taken the time to actually click the link you'd see there's gaming benchmarks as well. The thing is, the Q8200 isn't a good processor, yes I have one, and I enjoy what it offers, but it has not that much OC potential. It's a nice mainstream thingie though, but if Phenom II would've been out back then, I'd have gone for that.

·
Site Owner
18,081 Posts
Im not ruling out the Phenom II lol. They are nice cpus, especially for the money. I just wish AMD would stop playing second fiddle to intel. Like they are always laying catch up instead of dominance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.