Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-data-

source: GAF

Legistlators in Washington State are proposing a new bill that would be yet another in the "think of the children" style laws. The new proposed law would make game makers liable for damages if any minors (17 and under, according to the bill) were to commit any crimes "due in any part to playing video games."

Supporters of the bill, such as Bill Hanson of the Washington Police and Sheriff's Association, feel that when "kids" get the violent games, they become desensitized to violence.

"If you sit up and watch this and play these games over and over again... it seems that this is alright to walk up and hit a police officer over the head with a bat," Hanson said.

Opponents argue that the proposed bill would shift the responsibility from the person who actually committed the crime.

Lew McMurran, with the Washington Software Association, says violent games are clearly rated for adults only; and he argues that it is the responsibility of the parents to decide what is appropriate for their children, not the responsibility of the state's government. McMurran also argues that this proposed bill would also shift the blame for any crimes away from the actual purpetrator, and onto the makers of software.

"We're removing the responsibility from the person who committed the act, to somebody else who's completely removed from the situation" McMurran said. "There's a very strong video game industry in this state that we want to support. We don't want to bring undo attention to an area where there's actually jobs being created, where there's actually some good economic development in our state"

-data-

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
People don't kill people, video games kill people? Why don't we have a bill punishing the evil hypnotic effects of movies or something?

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
This is complete bull****, it's a person's own resposibility if he decides to commit a crime. How can you blame a company?

What if I get myself a gun, start shooting around the corner, and blame the news for showing me images of war? It would be the same thing.

If they want to blame someone else than the minors committing crimes, it should be their parents for failing to raise their children properly and showing them the difference between fiction and reality. But don't go blaming the software developers......

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah I read about this 2 days ago. Same old, same old. Those who contribute to these ideas will never stray off their self-inflicted path.

If this is ever approved, then they should do the same to telivision and movies. If people get scared of kids imitating games, then they better **** their pants when kids with swords start yelling "There can be only one!".

On a lighter note, I found this article from GameSpy's Fargo to shed some humor on the situation. :D

An excerpt:
"Mr. Fargo," he uttered, calmly. "Are you trying to tell us that you disavow any and all responsibility for your own actions?"

"Yes, yes I do," I admitted. I turned and addressed the judge directly: "In truth, I'm a meat-puppet, your honor. I'm a mindless slave to the digital image. It's been this way ever since I was a small boy feeding quarters into the Donkey Kong machine: I found that afterwards the urge to jump over barrels was insurmountable. Irrepressible! I jumped over barrels without provocation regardless of the context, appropriateness, or circumstances. Even if they were on fire."

The tears came.
The closing line of the story is hillarious. :D

On a related matter, I recently found this article:
Boys kill friend using "Mortal Combat" video technique

When I read that, the first thing that came to mind was the MK announcer saying "Friendship". :D

Obviously, the boys are retarded and individual dangers, as they are aged 13 to 16.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I still don't see the difference between a video game, a movie, a book, or even the news (from what was said before). People don't want to kill others because they see it..there is always something else...do game maybe contribute? Who knows, but guess what....we see it in many more other things besides video game...sadly the one we see it most in is real life. They put the M+ on the game cover for a reason....same with the R on the movie...if we start putting the blame on the maker...then I must say our earth will soon become the hell we claim it to be now.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
DDR make me do it! :cry:

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
hellmasterx said:
DDR make me do it! :cry:
lmao ahahahahhaa XD, I dont think companies are responsible for it, the constumers are, just don't buy it, just like cigarretes everyone knows that smoking is gonna give u cancer but ppl still smoke right? so then leave the game companies alone, U [email protected] [email protected]@RDS!!!!! lol

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
shadow89 said:
lmao ahahahahhaa XD, I dont think companies are responsible for it, the constumers are, just don't buy it, just like cigarretes everyone knows that smoking is gonna give u cancer but ppl still smoke right? so then leave the game companies alone, U [email protected] [email protected]@RDS!!!!! lol
There is one mayor difference:
Cigarette companies produce harmful products, while games aren't harmful products at all.

Of course I'm not saying those cig companies should be blamed for ppl getting lungcancer, cause it's still up to the consumer to buy their cigarettes.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Whoa i see that one page also has an article labeled tv's to track prostitutes:).

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
And just when I thought Aerican justice couldn't get any more retarded. :rolleyes: McMurran is right, you don't blame people for making entertainment, because if you start blaming video games, what abolut TV shows, movies and all other forms of entertainment with tons more violence and sex ... Bl;ah! I could go on and on, but just like every other thread like this, I'll sum it up with "These people are idiots" ;)

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Of course I'm not saying those cig companies should be blamed for ppl getting lungcancer, cause it's still up to the consumer to buy their cigarettes.
I'd blame them for putting products on the cigarrettes to empower it's adictivity wich don't add anything to the flavour, just to keep people smoking ;) .

Regarding the topic, well, this is not the first time we see people blaming videogames for violence. I've played since i was 9 or 10, and now i'm 23. I've played the mortal kombat games, doom games, unreal tournament games, grand theft auto, bushido blade, and countless others fps and fighting games. In my whole life, i only had a punch fight once, and i was 12 :p . Never been a violent person, and just have the same small rage problems i've had all my life, before and after videogames. Of course, i've read books and watched movies that were violent as well, and some way more than videogames. So can i think there as any kind of corelation between videogames and violence? :p

As it's been said, then you must blame movie creators as well as novelists, or even tv news programs as well. Aproving this law would only show how retarded some people is. Sadly, that's the people in charge.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Same here, I've been playing games all my life...and I think I've only been in a fight once...I'm 17 almost 18 now and got my nintendo in like 92?...anyhow...I too played the Mortal Kombats and what not...and never once did I think..."that kid has been making fun of me because of *insert something here*...I'm going to bring a gun to school." I can understand being in raged by people...but a game won't make you want to do anything...if you do something it's because you can't take what the OTHER person is doing to you...but a gun won't do anything but bring more pain....

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
If America is so concerned they should just ban video games altogether. Just like in the 1920s. Lets see that work.

Games are "18" and "15" for a reason. If in the future I become a games developer and someone accuses me of "murder" like in the Vance/Roberson v. CBS Inc./Judas Priest case, then I will fight with blood, sweat and money. Even if it is a pyrrhic victory like with the Dead Kennedys versus Tipper Gore and the PMRC then I will be a martyr. I hope to hell I live to become a figure of hate for the Moral Majority and Christian pigs. It's something to motivate me.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
slow down there, you are starting to get out of hand industrian

after all It's human nature to blame another and lie to themselves right?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Its like trying to get car makers responsible for what idiots do behind the wheel. Its great how they keep ignoring the fact that they are responsible to teach their children right from wrong, and maybe they should stop making up stupid excuses for their neglect.

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
No. It's more of a religious thing (Christianity mainly since they ***** more than Moslems or Jews.)

Most honest people would admit their mistakes and move on. Christians on the other hand cannot accept any responsibility for their wrongs (wrongs?! When is a Christian ever WRONG?!?!) as their religion has taught them that they are superior. So when they see something they do not like, and something that they cannot assimilate, and something that is their fault, they look the other way, and point their finger at Marilyn Manson instead of the education system and culture of fear (for example.)

Read up on that court case i mentioned before. Halford and Co. were sued for apparently causing the deaths of two guys in a suicide pact (one missed with the shotgun and just severely ****ed themselves up). It WASN'T mentioned that the two guys had been smoking ****loads of weed or had drunk tons of alchohol. Nooo... the Christian "Moral Majority" saw music (heavy metal in particular) and ostracised it, saying that there was something "special" (backwards messages) about this music that made people violent and suicidal. They didn't however mention the parenting, school system, reasons for the suicide pact ... and the reason why the parents didn't care about it until their son (the guy who missed) eventually died.

*punches a wall.*

I hate this **** beyond anything else in the world. Honest to ****ing god I do. What is going to happen next, people are added to a "threat register" when they buy games like GTA, and in the next example of gang murders they just arrest them for no reason?

I thought the whole point of the "Free" World was that people were responsible for their own actions. Once when I was a kid, i did something bad in a group and when i was asked why my parents/teacher replied "Well if they told you to jump off a cliff would you do it?" ... Maybe back then if I said "Mario told me to do it" my parents/teachers would have said "Holy ****! Get Ed Meese!"

Bottom Line: People are responsible for their own actions. They may be influenced by many factors in their life but at the end of the day, if they get a gun and point it at someone, Rob Halford (or anyone else) is not telling them to "Do it." And even if they are, "if Rob Halford told you to jump off a bridge..."

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Wow, industian, I agree with you a lot (I'm staying out of the religion part...although to a point I agree), but I wouldn't want to be in a room with you talking about this...*touchesthe broken wall*....ekk....heh...

·
Registered
287 Posts
wth... this is so stupid, people are always trying to blame their mistakes on someone else.

Parents buy their kids these mature games! if a kid hits a police officer with a bat then the parents should be sentenced, NOT hard working game developers. Why is there a game rating again?

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
industrian you can be an example of offsetting blame, sure Christians place blame on others but so do Muslims, Jews, Pagans and various other religeons it is part of human nature anyway

1 - 20 of 55 Posts