Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving into a new house next year and I am considering installing wall jacks in rooms for internet access. The question is, how would I set this up?

I currently live in a condo and all the rooms are pretty close together so right now I have 3 computers hooked up to my hub with cables laying on the floor.

When I move in, I assume every room with a computer will have a wall jack with a single ethernet slot. The question is, how should I go about setting this up with a reasonable amount of flexibilty if I decide to move my computers around? and how much extra will this cost to have the bulders install? Is it a better option to try this on my own?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I dunno if this will help or not, but PCGamer had an article about networking in their latest issue, and the website might have it up... I'm too lazy to check tho.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's not too bad, i think you can have the electrician put in the ethernet cables while he does the other wiring. make sure he uses RG6 cable if you want to do 100MB though. probably the best way to set it up, is to put the hub somwhere centralized, like a closet or even in the basement maybe, and then have, like you said, jacks in all the rooms you think you might move the comps too. then all you have to do is patch into the wall jacks to the pc's and away you go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts