Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lets say there are 2 seperate networks, network A and network B, each with their own network printers that work on their own networks. What if a workstation was connected to both networks, but somehow the workstation cannot print any documents opened/taken from Network A on network B's printers.

Why? Is there a network printer compatibility problem between different OS's if the 2 networks are running different OS's. Namely win2k and winxp. Could firewalls be involved and how?

·
Registered
378 Posts
My school operates on about 3 different subnets (IP groupings) and two domains, and there are printers that work on both. And you print from different domains to the other printers. However, every printer is configured with a print server and specific IP.

Are printers "shared" (as in you connect by typing \\server\printer) or are they hooked up to a print server (connect by IP address). If they are server based, I don't know how but I've heard about "trusting" domains. Not sure how to do that, or even if it'll work. IP based printers should be fine, so long as there isn't a firewall in the way. Even then, ports can be opened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.