Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
having some problems here connecting over LAN. i have 2 computers on a wireless LAN, trying to play versus mode on Pokemon ruby/firered.

i got it to work splitscreen with 1.72, but not 1.8, but this is not ideal

first i tried todo LAN over v1.8, however, if i ran the server in VBA, i could only connect on the same computer running another instance of 1.8, the other computer on the LAN would not.

my next idea was to try it on 1.72, however, this is the strange part, despite having a 'link' option, there arn't that many options...(excuse the image quality, couldn't be bothered with a jpg)

any ideas? i'm thinking it would work if i could change any settings. perhaps something in my .ini is messed up?

EDIT: it appears this person had a similar problem, that was unresolved:
http://forums.ngemu.com/visualboy-a...-problems-vba-link-itself-video-included.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hmm, still no dice. i had tried that before, but did it again changing the port again

however, slightly strange occurance; i checked my firewall settings, and it seems that the computers are connecting, but there is no confermation that they are within the game. i realise this is a tall order, but the official forums are down. the setup in this pic is 1 server computer, with 2 addtional ones trying to connect;

if anyone has any idea on how i can get 1.72 to work in link mode (ie, get the other options to appear) that could also be a solution

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Unfortunately, due to the nature of how vba-l links, you might be hitting the bandwidth limits of the network.

Since most wireless networks are only half duplex, it really limits the emulator since the linking setup also uses Frame synching to keep the computers in sync.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help anyway, i think it's more a problem with the computers now, however.

if i changed the host to a 3rd computer, the other 2 could connect to that one abliet a tad laggy (i guess due the fact it's wireless), very strange.

i'm trying todo it wired, but i'm guessing my wired network cards or something are messed up, because when i try the crossover cable, the lights for the card don't even come on, even though i've used them in the same setup many times before without any problems =/

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Are you sure the cables are cross-over? or were you using a Hub/switch before.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
haven't accidentally disabled the ethernet port have you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't think so...i was able to connect to my router and the lights came on and the LAN enabled...this seems to be quite a serious problem now. although, VBA isnt the issue anymore at least =P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.