Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting adsl sooner or later and I would like to set up a wireless network at home and office. I know that you need a wireless router ect ect. But my question is is it possible to share an internet connection through 2 network?
1. network = wireless network (wireless router and Lan card - It's a laptop)
2. network = normal network (using a hub. not wireless. just plain network using ethernet cables)

any help appreciated

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
if you have the money, then go for wireless... it would help eliminate the long cable connection especially if the PC and laptop is very far from each other...

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Yes, quite possible. Simply plug your wireless router into your ethernet switch.

I still prefer wired networks over wireless, even though some wireless setups boast 108 Mbit transfers... it's too shaky depending on your range, while wired is plain 100 Mbit every time. If you're already wired, why bother with wireless?

·
band
4,912 Posts
i know that a lot of wiresless routers actually have 5 ethernet ports at the back, one for the actual modem and the other 4 for sharing. mine does, i can tell u that (its a netgear m814v2 iirc). But for sure there are a lot out there

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh i'm wired. But the thing is my laptop is very far from my pc. I'm not that crazy to put a super long cable from my room to office :p

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
wireless connection makes thing easier... you can bring your laptop to nearly every corner of your house and still be connected to the other PC...

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
like I said, if you have the money, get one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.