Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, my bro got his own PC, and we decided to make a LAN.
But we got some problems...

I did the basic stuff on both PCs, so the internet connection is shared
(it shows that it actually works till now) but, I have no idea how
to make a PC accessible through the other... I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with workgroups. Help needed :p

Also, I've messed with the network settings a little, but at reboot, I had a bad surprise. My noobish eye-candy logon screen switched to the professional looking message box. It looks like this

How can I get the old logon back?

Thx

EDIT:
Logon issue solved, remote PC access still having problems. PCs don't show in workgroups

· Registered
212 Posts
check firewall settings, then check services,

start > run > services.msc

look for computer browser, and make sure thats enabled, also make sure file and print sharing is enabled

start > settings > controlpanel > network connections

right click > properties > place checkmark in "file and printer sharing for MS networks"

if above doesnt make a diff, set the ip addresses of the machines manually, including subnet mask, on the pc which doesnt have direct inet access, set teh gateway and dns server to the direct inet access machines ip address.

U can also try using analogx proxy, which im not too keen on, however that is free, and works just check its config guide.

www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

realvnc is nice for remote access, u could always try that http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

· Registered
669 Posts
installing/enabling ipx is also a good idea, I've had troubles with windows network before because ipx was disabled. dunno if you have to set the same workgroup, but I've always used mshome as workgroup.

· Registered
2,794 Posts
SnakeBite said:
installing/enabling ipx is also a good idea, I've had troubles with windows network before because ipx was disabled. dunno if you have to set the same workgroup, but I've always used mshome as workgroup.
IPX/SPX is an old Novell protocol for Netware. It serves absolutely no purpose on a Windows network where a Netware controller is not present. PCs in other workgroups will show up under My Network places. You just have to select "Entire Network" and you'll see all the available wokgroups on the net. The reason nothing's showing up could be related to a lot of things. For starters, is the Computer Browser service running on both machines? The built-in Windows firewall should already account for browser traffic and the fact that you've mentioned you have ICS running on one of the machines says that the firewall won't even be able to run on that machine since they both cannot run at the same time.

Really though, you don't neccessarily HAVE to have the browser service functioning in order to have the machines access each other for file/print sharing. Have you tried accessing accessing the shares using a UNC path, such as \\computername\sharename? Could you be using a firewall other than the built-in Windows firewall? If so, make sure it will allow file and printer sharing to pass-through.

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, yesterday I finally found how to set it up correctly. In fact, the winXP firewall had to be disabled to do it right. Though now something weird:
we can see each other on the workgroups. I can access my bro's PC through mine,
but he can't access mine through his, even my shared files... it says "Unable to access blablablah..." or "Forbidden access"... something that's prolly due to a misconfiguration :p
Any idea?

· AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Maybe password protection?

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We both have password but I'm the only one who can't be accessed :s

· AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
can u post some screens?

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you want me too screen? The error message?

· AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Yeah, can be easier to track the error....

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here's the screenshot

It says:
"Can't access //Killjoy. Maybe you don't have the required authorization
to use this network resource. Contact your admin (...) to know if you
are allowed to access it.

Access Denied"

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Hi Killjoy,

3 things to start off with:
-Always disable Firewall to eliminate it as a possible problem.
-Is he using XP Pro as well, or does he have XP Home?
-Reinstall both of your filesharing service in your LAN's network connection.

Most often these type of error messages in XP are usually the result of a cached but incorrect password. Have him go to the control panel -> User Accounts, and have him clear it through Manage Passwords.

Another possible issue which was already mentioned is services. You might have upped the defenses of your PC just a little too high for common network use.

Third and last possible influence that I'll name here and now is permissions. Seriously. Also, with regards to the previous paragraph's mention of "defense" (or security), have you gone as far as deleting all net shares, for example? (assuming you're always logged in as an administrator, and if so: try not to with your next install)

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"-Always disable Firewall to eliminate it as a possible problem.
-Is he using XP Pro as well, or does he have XP Home?
-Reinstall both of your filesharing service in your LAN's network connection."

Didn't try the 3rd one yet

"Most often these type of error messages in XP are usually the result of a cached but incorrect password. Have him go to the control panel -> User Accounts, and have him clear it through Manage Passwords."

I'll try that too

"Another possible issue which was already mentioned is services. You might have upped the defenses of your PC just a little too high for common network use."

I don't think so :s

"have you gone as far as deleting all net shares, for example? (assuming you're always logged in as an administrator, and if so: try not to with your next install)"

What do you mean? deleting all netshares can cause this, even if i add new ones after? It's another bug MS never fixed?

· Registered
1,585 Posts
No, sorry, I meant your administrative shares. The ones that come with 2k and XP automatically when you're logged on as Admin. Never mind that, just try the other stuff when you have the time, I'll check in next week to see how it went, so I hope for you it gets fixed before then. :)

· Registered
2,794 Posts
Really, you're just getting an access denied message. So, it looks like the credentials are being cached. Do you have a user account on the other machine to access the shares? By default, the Guest account is not enabled on XP machines and even if it were, it's not included in the default Everyone permissions that are initially applied to a new share. You can change that behavior in the local security policy of the remote machine.

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both PCs are using Admin user profiles.
I'm still a noob for all the concerns networking with WinXP...
last time I had to set up a LAN it was 5 years ago on win9x :p

· Registered
2,171 Posts
I had basically the same issue recently when networking a PC to an Xbox through Samba...The Xbox would not see the shares on the PC..Turns out that even though File and printer sharing was enabled, it had gotten screwy...simply removing it then readding it (uninstall / install) solved the issue.

· Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, that's what I was planning to do, but my bro's PC is in his room... upstairs!
I hate my stairs :p

· Registered
2,794 Posts
Mr. Killjoy said:
Both PCs are using Admin user profiles.
I'm still a noob for all the concerns networking with WinXP...
last time I had to set up a LAN it was 5 years ago on win9x :p
Strange... I actually find NT/XP to be more straightforward than 9x networking. A lot of the stuff is the same, but NT is multi-user, so it's easier to understand who can and can't access the shares and what they're allowed to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.