Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know much about the equipment. i'll trust you guys to just rattle off some key parts i should look into. like what graphics card to go with. how much ram do i need. single core or dual (or more). how many ghz should i need. i dont want to spend any more than 500 preferably more like 400. i want digital out equipped sound card and hdmi out capable on the video card. i want to play the latest generation of emulation with even power to spare if possible. i want NO framerate slowdown on computer games such as rFactor on high graphics settings.
thats the most important thing. i want to be able to run games on (generally speaking)high detail and resolution settings without slowdown.

without too much debate or argument over ati or nvidia and that sort of thing (though i am open to both suggestions). someone lay it down for me. my head is spinning looking at all this stuff.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
-i want digital out equipped sound card
-hdmi out capable on the video card.
-i want to play the latest generation of emulation with even power to spare if possible.
-i want NO framerate slowdown on computer games such as rFactor on high graphics settings.
-i want to be able to run games on (generally speaking)high detail and resolution settings without slowdown.

i dont want to spend any more than 500 preferably more like 400.
I want a flying motorcycle. I think I'll have more luck than you.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Last time I spent $400 on a new computer, it didn't include a video card, and it was mid-range technology.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i'm talking about a build not a package. but i hear you guys. so the general price range remains. what are some pieces of good value i should look into. that will at least do OK with psx2 and gcube (and saturn) emulators. and 3d computer games on at least decent or default settings.

i probably dont need uber power like i first described. i guess i'm just tired of EXCESSIVE slowdown in some areas with my setup.

i dont really play new new stuff. just unreal games, rFactor, motocross madness 2 and all the emulators i feel like figuring out.

unreal 2 gets choppy like a mutha. i would like to be able to aim my frickin gun when playing that game

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Sorry, I can't read. :(

Traumpy, you really should hit up newegg.com and make a few wishlists to get an idea of what you want. Otherwise, you'll be getting a wide array of suggestions and opinions.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Here:

I assumed you would already have a case, drives, monitor, etc. Though, you might want a new power supply as well.
Eek, mushkin ram.... I've had a bad experience with it. Bought 2x1GB RAM a few years ago and the first set was bad, so I RMAed it, got a new site.... also bad. Returned it and got a pair of G.SKILL ram. I might have just been unlucky though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here:

I assumed you would already have a case, drives, monitor, etc. Though, you might want a new power supply as well.
At GTX 260? He wants to play emulation not Crysis. Stick wit a 9600gt or 4830 don't pay more than $100 for a GPU that you're only going to play emulation on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
GTX 260s are cheap. Might as well. He'll be okay for awhile that way.
True that, and it would be a great card to have in a new system, but it seems like all of that extra power he will not need. With a 9600gt or something similar, he would have plenty of power (for emu and rFactor) and knock $100 off of the price.

·
Registered
281 Posts
But he'll be f***ed for anything down the road.
I can see you're point there. The 9600 and 4850 are getting a little long in the tooth. But I'd say to taumpytears, if you are worried about the price go sub $100 if not the GTX 260 would be an excellent choice.:thumb:

And Spyhop... does bustin really make you feel good?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The only bad RAM experience I've ever had with with Mushkin and Kingston.

I've bought a lot of cheap ram too, and none of it has ever been bad. Go figure.
I think that means you're just lucky. I've had at least one bad stick from every manufacturer. With the amount of testing and screening they say they do, I wonder how anyone gets bad ram at all. oO

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I think that means you're just lucky. I've had at least one bad stick from every manufacturer. With the amount of testing and screening they say they do, I wonder how anyone gets bad ram at all. oO
Well a 3-5% failure rate for hardware is considered pretty normal with good testing standards, so 3/100 to 5/100 sticks are likely to be bad. If or if not you end up with one of the 5/100 is just a matter of luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
all great advice. thank you guys. btw yes i have monitor and will probably hook up to full size hdtv when i get one. i have a dvd burner drive i can use. what i dont have is a case. i figured that would be the last thing for me to pick out.

actually i have old computers around here that dont work. i could just gut one and use a case right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.